Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 AM   #91
9eleventb0
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 117
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see why you guys are getting so worked up on the handling of the GT500. The current cobra doesn't handle as well as the current vette, but its cheaper and has tons of mod potential....I don't hear any of the cobra fans complaining. The market for the cobra primarily consists of drag racers whether you would like to admit it or not, not that some wouldn't want to track it, but the majority are into straightline racing. Why else do we see so many mustangs, camaros, etc. at drag strips? If there was really so much demand for having a world-class handling mustang instead of a primarily straightline mustang, ford would have made it by now.

Also, just because the GT500 may not handle as well as the vette doesn't mean that it can't handle decently. For example, the 350Z has been praised for having very good handling, so just because we say it won't be able to beat the new Z06 or 911 around a track doesn't mean we are bashing it or saying that its handling sucks.....it just means that the vette and 911, which are much more expensive than the 350Z and have undergone extensive development in handling and track use, should be able to beat it around a track, and do. Similarly, the GT500 may have pretty good handling, but it is VERY unlikely that it will be on par with the vette or porsche.

Put it into perspective......the Z06 has 505hp and less weight than a ferrari F430.....this may very well put the F430, upcoming 997 TT, and the viper to shame.....so if you look at it in those terms, then there is absolutely no shame in losing to the vette, especially when your GT500 is $15-20K cheaper. And don't think I'm saying that ford is not capable of making fast track cars....the ford GT is a perfect example of a race bred car. All I'm saying is that there is no need for a significantly cheaper GT500 to have to be able to compete with the exotic-level performance of the Z06
9eleventb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:26 PM   #92
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eleventb0
I don't see why you guys are getting so worked up on the handling of the GT500. The current cobra doesn't handle as well as the current vette, but its cheaper and has tons of mod potential....I don't hear any of the cobra fans complaining. The market for the cobra primarily consists of drag racers whether you would like to admit it or not, not that some wouldn't want to track it, but the majority are into straightline racing. Why else do we see so many mustangs, camaros, etc. at drag strips? If there was really so much demand for having a world-class handling mustang instead of a primarily straightline mustang, ford would have made it by now.

Also, just because the GT500 may not handle as well as the vette doesn't mean that it can't handle decently. For example, the 350Z has been praised for having very good handling, so just because we say it won't be able to beat the new Z06 or 911 around a track doesn't mean we are bashing it or saying that its handling sucks.....it just means that the vette and 911, which are much more expensive than the 350Z and have undergone extensive development in handling and track use, should be able to beat it around a track, and do. Similarly, the GT500 may have pretty good handling, but it is VERY unlikely that it will be on par with the vette or porsche.

Put it into perspective......the Z06 has 505hp and less weight than a ferrari F430.....this may very well put the F430, upcoming 997 TT, and the viper to shame.....so if you look at it in those terms, then there is absolutely no shame in losing to the vette, especially when your GT500 is $15-20K cheaper. And don't think I'm saying that ford is not capable of making fast track cars....the ford GT is a perfect example of a race bred car. All I'm saying is that there is no need for a significantly cheaper GT500 to have to be able to compete with the exotic-level performance of the Z06
yeah, we know...that what i have been saying all along. the GT500 will not be a bad handling car but it will not be on par with the 911 or Z06. someone obviously wanted to argue the point...

no one is caught up on handling of the GT500. everyone knows that will handle fine for what it is but everyone also knows that it will not be on par with higher end cars.

i dont know where all these GT500 groupies came from...its getting ridiculous. i can understand defending a car you like but saying it will handle just as well as the new Z06 corvette and then take that back and state several times how well he GT500 handles. its a little...overwhelming.

is there anyone on my side that feels that the new $70k GTR will out perform the GT500???
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #93
VQuick
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eleventb0
If there was really so much demand for having a world-class handling mustang instead of a primarily straightline mustang, ford would have made it by now.
They did. It's called the Cobra R...and they need to make a new one. It could have an NA 5.4L, be called the GT350R and slot in under the GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
is there anyone on my side that feels that the new $70k GTR will out perform the GT500???
I don't see how that couldn't be the case. Not with awd, similar power, better aerodynamics(probably) and much less weight. Of course, for that much money, the GT-R should be better.
__________________
Quote:
“What does ‘kouki’ mean? Are you saying my car is crazy or something?”
Scott-Revs: Motown Muscle
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #94
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQuick
I don't see how that couldn't be the case. Not with awd, similar power, better aerodynamics(probably) and much less weight. Of course, for that much money, the GT-R should be better.
thank you...
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #95
broddie50
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sacrmento, California
Posts: 286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

k3, your calling the GT 500 suppoters "groupies" now? Pot, meet kettle. The skyline has the most fanboi's of ANY Japanese import, the amount of nutswinging is hilarious. So lets chill on the name calling, what do you say?
broddie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:51 PM   #96
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broddie50
k3, your calling the GT 500 suppoters "groupies" now? Pot, meet kettle. The skyline has the most fanboi's of ANY Japanese import, the amount of nutswinging is hilarious. So lets chill on the name calling, what do you say?
i dont find groupies name calling...yes the skyline does probably have the biggest amount of groupies beside the supra but its a good thing nobody in this thread is discussing a skyline. instead we are discussing a new breed of Nissan/Infiniti high performance, no longer to carry the skyline badge or image.

i find groupies as simply something to refer to someone who sides on one cause no matter what the occasion. if you read throughout this thread there have been many people to defend the GT500's performance when it clearly would be the black sheep in this particular comparison. i just find it ludicrous...
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #97
Jaguar D-Type
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,543
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
i dont really care who is developing it...it will not be on par with the Z06 and before mentioned cars.
I wasn't talking about the GT500 vs other cars.

Do you think the GT500 is only being developed for straight line performance?
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #98
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast
 
BlackGT2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: pottstown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,796
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar D-Type
I wasn't talking about the GT500 vs other cars.

Do you think the GT500 is only being developed for straight line performance?
The GT500 is not competing with anything. Its a supermustang. Its still a mustang but twice as good at everything a GT is good at. It will be faster and handle better than any current mustang. Its not really a purpose built car at all. Its only real purpose is to be the best mustang.
If you like mustangs you will love this car.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #99
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar D-Type
Do you think the GT500 is only being developed for straight line performance?
no i think it is being built for straight line performance...but not only. i think that the way it handles will not be a key factor in the build of this car. i dont think handling will play a huge role in the build or the people buying ths car. there are very few people who buy a mustang because it handles so well. they buy it because it has very good HP for very minute money and the GT500 will take this to a new level.

im not at all inferring that the car will handle like a mini van, i am simply saying that it will not compete with cars way out of its class. these cars we are speaking of will compete with $150k+ exotics in all-around performance.

i was very surprised at how well the mustang handles and im sure the GT500 will be no different but i will and never will expect to compete with the cars mentioned above.
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #100
fairladyz_gt-r
AF Regular
 
fairladyz_gt-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: bangkok
Posts: 403
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to fairladyz_gt-r Send a message via Yahoo to fairladyz_gt-r
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

guys give K3 a brake, am i the only guy who understand what he is talking about!? he is simply saying that the GT500 will not be as good as the exotic car in handling.

He never mention that it will be shopping trolly!!!
__________________

fairladyz_gt-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #101
fairladyz_gt-r
AF Regular
 
fairladyz_gt-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: bangkok
Posts: 403
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to fairladyz_gt-r Send a message via Yahoo to fairladyz_gt-r
Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broddie50
k3, your calling the GT 500 suppoters "groupies" now? Pot, meet kettle. The skyline has the most fanboi's of ANY Japanese import, the amount of nutswinging is hilarious. So lets chill on the name calling, what do you say?

Sorry man, i really got to say something on this. It really piss me off seeing how 2f2f destroyed skyline.

In Japan and South East Asia (where all the country are RHD) Skyline club here the average of the owner, i am pretty sure are all at least early 30's. In Japan skyline GT-R are extreamly expensive (5.6million car for japanese are super expensive, since even M35 cost 4million yen). so little kids don't have the money to own them.

As in south east Asia due to the import tax these car are either own by mid age ehthuasit or kids with very very rich parent. most of the time it means these kids recives good education.

So for us here Skyline GT-R is sort of nich item, for the people who are successful or on the top bit of the piramid.

So Skyline GT-R owner here where it was created for, are quite unlike the one in the USA
__________________

fairladyz_gt-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #102
broddie50
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sacrmento, California
Posts: 286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

I hear what your saying fairlady. I'm not dumping on the skyline as a car. The Nismo Skyline GT-R I was reading about busted out a near 10 flat quarter mile run. And handling wise, I never said the GT 500 would out handle the Skyline or the C6 ZO6. My point this whole time was, your going to get a whole lot of performance out of a 40,000 dollar car in the GT 500. No disrespect to the Skyline guys who know there shit.
broddie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #103
fairladyz_gt-r
AF Regular
 
fairladyz_gt-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: bangkok
Posts: 403
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to fairladyz_gt-r Send a message via Yahoo to fairladyz_gt-r
Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broddie50
I hear what your saying fairlady. I'm not dumping on the skyline as a car. The Nismo Skyline GT-R I was reading about busted out a near 10 flat quarter mile run. And handling wise, I never said the GT 500 would out handle the Skyline or the C6 ZO6. My point this whole time was, your going to get a whole lot of performance out of a 40,000 dollar car in the GT 500. No disrespect to the Skyline guys who know there shit.
Thanks you and i have to agree with u that GT500 is giving alot for 40k
__________________

fairladyz_gt-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:09 PM   #104
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broddie50
My point this whole time was, your going to get a whole lot of performance out of a 40,000 dollar car in the GT 500.
there is no doubt in my mind it may be the best performance value under $40k...just like the current 05 mustang is the just about the best performance value.
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:40 AM   #105
pik_d
AF Enthusiast
 
pik_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to pik_d Send a message via AIM to pik_d Send a message via MSN to pik_d Send a message via Yahoo to pik_d
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

what i got from the last... oh say... 3 pages?


ok?
yea, ok!
er... ok...?
OK, DUH!!
oh yea, ok!
wait... what?
ok!
ok ok...
wait, you didnt say ok?
yes i did, ok?
oh, ok!

i think you've laid the issue to rest.

shopping cart < regular mustang < GT500 < Z06 ?~? GT-R
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts