Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:06 PM   #16
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

Re: GM Tech, Heard of this???

Chriznat20@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #17
b00001
AF Newbie

Hey chris, you change your rear diff oil yet? I did mine last week. What a difference!!!! No more vibration when I take off. When I drained the old oil out, it was nasty. the drain plug is magnetic and it was totally coated with gunk. Mine only has 20k on it. I hope that is just from "break in" normal wear. I guess we'll see.
b00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #18
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

Havent gotten around to it yet Did you order the fluid right from the company? whats the best way to get this stuff? How long did it take you to get it?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #19
b00001
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00001
Hey chris, you change your rear diff oil yet? I did mine last week. What a difference!!!! No more vibration when I take off. When I drained the old oil out, it was nasty. the drain plug is magnetic and it was totally coated with gunk. Mine only has 20k on it. I hope that is just from "break in" normal wear. I guess we'll see.
Yup! Amsoil.com They have warehouses around the country. Only took a couple days and it was at my door.
XVG-QT is the part number you want, quantity of 2
It is their new Severe Gear Synthetic 75w-90 Gear Lube. That is it. Little over $20 with shipping. A must do!!!
Make sure you inspect your drain plug. it is magnetic and I will bet it is covered with junk!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #20
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

So you did use the amsoil, eh? If you had good luck with amsoil (as opposed to royal purple) then I will take your word on it. Hey, i cant find the part number you mentioned on the website. I couldnt find "XVG" but i did find "SVG" is this the same thing?
SEVERE GEAR™ Synthetic Extreme Pressure (EP) 75W-90 Lubricant
Thats what it says is SVG and when I pulled the "application chart" on their website, this is what it recommended. I just want to make sure Im getting the same stuff you did. Check out the link and let me know if its the same stuff.
http://amsoil2.cpinternet.com/script...msoiloaf:index
Old 11-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #21
b00001
AF Newbie

Make sure you have some kind of bottle with a hose on it or squirter or something to get it up in the hole. Get under there you will see what i mean. I had an old bottle of gear lube that I keep for doing this.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:04 PM   #22
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

would a clean turkey baster with a piece of aquarium hosing do ? thats what I have used in the past, lol. Hey, im trying to get ahold of my local amsoil dealer to see if they've got any. That way I can get this "did" today. Was yours really that bad?? where do you live anyways?
Old 11-20-2004, 01:15 PM   #23
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

Cant seem to find a $*!# dealer in Michigan on the internet. The amsoil site is about as useless as tits on a bull when it comes to finding a dealer. I called my local parts stores, none of them carry the gear lube I need... getting irritated!
Old 11-21-2004, 09:09 AM   #24
b00001
AF Newbie

Order it direct from Amsoil.
http://www.amsoil.com/orderform.htm

Scroll down and use the 1 800 number. then use the part number I gave you.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #25
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

Ah ah. My local amsoil independent dealer is meeting me at my work tomorrow at 3pm to sell me 3 quarts of the SVG-QT Extreme pressure synthetic 75-90 gear lube. The reason Im getting three, Im going to change my front axle too, might as well. I got it for $7.30 a quart from this guy and hes delivering it!! woo hoo. I will let you know what mine looks like coming out, I predict its going to be prettttyyyy ugly cos my binding in the rear end when taking off from a stop is getting more and more frequent and longer. I bet that fluid is toasted!!! By the way, the dealer told me there is no such thing as "XVG" he said there is only "SVG". Is that what you meant to type? I just want to make sure we are on the same page here. I bought 3 quarts of XVG-QT 75w-90 severe gear, extreme pressure gear lube with anti-slip additive in it.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:14 PM   #26
b00001
AF Newbie

Yup! that is it! Very cool. Sorry about the typo. Glad you got hooked up!!!! Did better than me. Let me know how your drain plug looked.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #27
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

Well seeing that I was supposed to go out tonite (night before thanksgiving bar night) but since we are getting blasted here in michigan with snow, I changed the fluid and HOLY $*@( !!!! I cant believe the stuff that came out looked like dark brown paint and my magnetic plug was caked with fine metal particles. Took me a good few minutes to clean it off!!! I filled it back up, took the whole 2 quarts (all but about 3oz) it started to come back out the filler plug. Took it for a test drive to the parts store to get a new serpentine belt, didnt bind once! Actually was very smooth, I tested it out a few times in the snowy parking lot and it seems to be perfect now. Then I came home and replaced my belt - it was easy and only took me a whole 3 minutes, ok ok to be fair 2 1/2 minutes I did make a funny mistake I wanted to tell you about... I had 1/2 a bottle of valvoline synpower fuel injection cleaner that I wanted to add to my 1/2 tank of gas (just to get the bottle off my shelf) so I grabbed the first bottle I saw and started to put it in my gas tank.. 2nd glance and it was Valvoline synpower synthetic power steering fluid!!! oopss!!!! only about 1/4 a cup got in to my gas tank, I felt like such a dumbass. I called my dealer here and spoke to a tech, he said it shouldnt pose any problems at all since its so thin. Whew. But at least my axle fluid is changed, I want to tackle my front axle and my transfer case (bought a bottle of the transfer case fluid for my 2000 Jimmy and discovered its the same part# for the envoy, its still sealed and in my cabinet). Have you changed your front axle fluid? Transfer case? The t-case looks easy, but I cant find the front axles plugs. Also, did you rear axle yoke seal look like it was slightly leaking? Mine was cruddy looking like it wasnt a fresh leak but has leaked at some point.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:54 AM   #28
b00001
AF Newbie

Man, that was a good one with the pwr steer fluid. You sure you didn't go to bar night first, then did that? HA! That is cool you got the fluid all changed. Hopefully the amsoil will handle the loads a little better. On your front transfer case, I don't know. I only have 2wd. But the goopy area you talking about, Mine was pretty clean. I have seen many though that did "weap" a little. No biggie.
Enjoy!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:21 PM   #29
leowolf
AF Enthusiast

Arrow look for chuncks and clips

I just want to caution you all, gm uses a small pin to secure the pin that holds the spider gears in place, this bumping in the turns could be that pin loose in the pumpkin. if it is there will be a lot of big chuncks of metal in the oil. now this happened to me so pay attention, the pin finally breaks and slides out. now on gm's the pin holds the axels out against the side gears, which encloses a clip. if the pin is out the axels slide in in a curve and allows the clip to fall out. now the axle is no longer retained and it comes all the way out and passes you while your on the freeway. now you panic and hit the brakes, well i supose the calipers will hold in the axles but in 68 there wasn't any calipers to stop it. but in my case there were no brakes cause all the fluid went out with one squish of the peddle!

look for chuncks and clips
leowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:09 AM   #30
GMJosh
AF Newbie

I have an '03 with a locking rear diff. It does exactly what you're describing.
GMJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy