Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
onanboy
AF Newbie

'98 3.8L Can't stay running after starting when engine is warm

This is my last avenue before taking the care to the dealership.

I have a 1998 Intrigue with over 225,000 miles.

It seems to run well for the most part. However....

After I have driven the car for a while and gotten it up to temperature, if I stop and let it cool for a while, when I go to start it up again, it will start easily and then immediately die. Almost like the fuel got cut off. My work around at this time is that if I manually keep the rpms up using the gas pedal it will stay running. If I take my foot off to quick it will still die but if I can do it or 20 to 40 seconds it will stay running.

Other clues:

There are no codes.

If I only drive for a shorter time, when I go to start the engine it will start but it will rev up and down (sometimes for up to ten seconds) before settling down to the proper idle.

When I start the car in the morning, it will start right up but tends to rev above 1200 rpms for about a minute or two before it will settle down.

What has been changed in the past couple of years:

IAC
MAF
EGR
Crankshaft Sensor
Wires (but not plugs)

Also the throttle body was cleaned pretty thoroughly. The guy who did it did think that the throttle body gasket was kinda iffy but intact.

I checked the FPR but no fuel leaked from it even after running the engine for five minutes.

Injectors could be going bad, maybe?? But wouldn't that cause problems other than just at a warm start?

If I get no responses I will just bite the bullet and make an appointment at the dealership.

I think that it is awesome that people even still come to this forum. You have helped me out many times here.

Thanks,
Onanboy

Last edited by onanboy; 07-29-2014 at 10:47 AM.
onanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
onanboy
AF Newbie

Re: '98 3.8L Can't stay running after starting when engine is warm

Think I found my problem (finally).

It is described pretty well in this thread http://www.gmforum.com/buick-172/99-...-299169/page2/

It also seems to dovetail with this from our own forum http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ss+flow&page=2

The MAF I have in now has the part number MF5519S which I got installed by a Monro shop last year.

If I unplug the MAF and try to start engine while it is warm, it revs real high then settles out and stays running. I think that means my MAF is not the right type for my 3800.

I will try to find a used GM one that matches and report back. A new one seems to run around $300 which is kinda high.

Onanboy
Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
onanboy
AF Newbie

Thumbs up SOLVED Re: '98 3.8L Can't stay running after starting when engine is warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by onanboy View Post
Think I found my problem (finally).

It is described pretty well in this thread http://www.gmforum.com/buick-172/99-...-299169/page2/

It also seems to dovetail with this from our own forum http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ss+flow&page=2

The MAF I have in now has the part number MF5519S which I got installed by a Monro shop last year.

If I unplug the MAF and try to start engine while it is warm, it revs real high then settles out and stays running. I think that means my MAF is not the right type for my 3800.

I will try to find a used GM one that matches and report back. A new one seems to run around $300 which is kinda high.

Onanboy
Yep, that was it. I got a used MAF from an old Bonneville at the local salvage yard. I switched out the one from the Munro shop and it now runs like a top. Never has a problem starting or idling.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue