Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #256
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: The Official: "There's no such thing as a dumb question about the McLaren F1" thread

McLaren are not launching "a new F1", but it is correct that MSO is working on what I believe is called 'Bespoke Project 23' which will feature a 3-seat chassis with a layout similar to that of the F1, and should use the M840TT drivetrain that will be revealed in the upcoming 650S replacement. I think it is a great idea and the high level of interest from potential customers seems to confirm that opinion.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:53 AM   #257
f1esp
AF Regular

Re: The Official: "There's no such thing as a dumb question about the McLaren F1" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
McLaren are not launching "a new F1", but it is correct that MSO is working on what I believe is called 'Bespoke Project 23' which will feature a 3-seat chassis with a layout similar to that of the F1, and should use the M840TT drivetrain that will be revealed in the upcoming 650S replacement. I think it is a great idea and the high level of interest from potential customers seems to confirm that opinion.

>8^)
ER

Somewhat that will be unveiled in May 2017 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the F1?
f1esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:16 AM   #258
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

McLaren will have something new to unveil in Geneva in March 2017, but I don't believe they'll be quite ready to show off this 3-seat MSO project quickly enough to make the 25th Anniversary of the F1's Monaco reveal.

>8^)
ER
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 AM   #259
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Anyone who knows details about this test on F1. Never seen this one before.
mcgtr1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #260
mclarenman
AF Veteran

This looks like an issue of the Japanese 'Car Graphic' Magazine featuring Chassis #016 (Perhaps Road Test #364).

Thanks for bringing that up. I just found a clip of Car Graphics 45th Anniversary 周年記念動画 Special Movie featuring XP5 and #016 in great quality seeing that this content is not new .

Start the video at 1:48 and you will see #016 back in 1995: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QloUxtXob8c

I would like to see more scans from the article though as this attachment is the only one I could find.

FYI Car Graphic Magazine Japan had a short clip on youtube featuring #053 and I downloaded it. However the clip is deleted from youtube and that file got lost on my old laptop. If anyone knows anything the episode featuring #053 I would love to hear the news .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _BROCURE (31).jpg (157.7 KB, 20 views)

https://www.instagram.com/mclarenf1archive/

Last edited by mclarenman; 06-13-2017 at 07:19 PM.
mclarenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #261
webslinger283
AF Regular

Hey guys, I have a questions for anyone that may have sat in an F1. Depending on the picture you look at, the chassis spars on either side of the driver seat seem to sometimes look like they are completely vertical inside and outside of the spar, but other pictures make it appear that the outside of the spar is vertical, and the inside is slightly angled such that the spar is narrower at the top than the bottom. And other picture still make it seem that maybe the spars are vertical inside and outside outside of the footwell, and becoming angled inside the footwell. Does anyone know what the spars actually do? Thanks for all your help!
webslinger283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #262
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

The sidewalls of the chassis spars are vertical or very near vertical on both sides.

I'm sure they provide some torsional rigidity to the monocoque, but they are also utilized for routing things like the shift cables, wiring harnesses, and radiator pipes through the chassis.

>8^)
ER
The Following User Says Thank You to Peloton25 For This Useful Post:
webslinger283 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #263
webslinger283
AF Regular

Thanks Erik, most of the pictures i can find show, and intuition says that they should be vertical for the most torsional (edit: actually bending not torsional) rigidity to the chassis, and though they could benefit locally, from a stability stand point, if they are slightly angled. Although increasing the angle means increased material, and increased material means increased weight, and i am pretty sure we know Mr. Murray's thoughts on adding weight. The main reason I ask, is because the picture of the care being assembled which show the front bulkhead without the crash structure installed show the mounting points for the crash structure to appear as though the inside is angled, and the outside is vertical. See the pictures below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F12.jpg (89.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02860.jpg (49.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by webslinger283; 11-11-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #264
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

There may well be a slight draft angle to both vertical sides of something like 2 degrees to aid removal from the mold as is usually the case on molded parts but strength wise vertical is best. You would barely notice the 2 degrees anyway. They do appear change section at various stages along their length as well as direction mainly around the Tank housing and forward of the passenger foot-wells. I have no doubt Le-Man can clarify things further or even correct any misconceptions.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbuilder2002 For This Useful Post:
webslinger283 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #265
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslinger283 View Post
...most of the pictures i can find show...
When you said "inside" I thought you were referring to the exterior walls closest to the driver, with the outside walls being closest the passengers. I didn't realize you were talking about those internal walls, so please excuse my inadvertent error there.

>8^)
ER
The Following User Says Thank You to Peloton25 For This Useful Post:
webslinger283 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #266
webslinger283
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
When you said "inside" I thought you were referring to the exterior walls closest to the driver, with the outside walls being closest the passengers. I didn't realize you were talking about those internal walls, so please excuse my inadvertent error there.

>8^)
ER
I think you and I were talking about the same thing. The "inside" of the spar being the the part running along the driver seat rails (blue arrow of attached), and the "outside" being the part closest to the passenger's inside leg (red arrow of attached). I attached the two pictures showing the front bulkhead because it seems to show that the "inside" of the spar is tilted over at like a fairly exaggerated 5 deree-ish angle as opposed to what I believed to be vertical, or close to vertical. Perhaps carbuilder is right in that the profile changes thoughout the length of the spar, from close to vertical near the driver seat, but gradually becoming more angled inside the driver footwell...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside-outside.jpg (248.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #267
webslinger283
AF Regular

With all the talk of "continuation" cars (I am looking at you Ferrari 250 GTO)...I wonder not so much of a continuation, but if McLaren were to produce a McLaren F1 today, using today's manufacturing techniques and knowledge, how much lighter could they make the same car today. By same car, I mean same strength and stiffness for the chassis and suspension, same horsepower out of the N/A engine, same body and everything. With carbon weaves getting more efficient, and our knowledge of lay-up getting better. Epoxies are getting stronger and lighter, and our use of them becoming more efficient with respect to keeping the strength to weight optimal. The wide spread adoption of materials like nomex honeycomb instead of aluminum honeycomb, I would imagine they would not have any trouble meeting the 1000 kg target they had originally set out to hit. I would also imagine that they could probably significantly reduce the unsprung mass using modern tech too, like carbon fiber wheels, new tire technology, and brakes. It is certainly fun to think about what is possible today, if the regulations were still as they were in 1992. Thoughts?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1