Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
samahi72
AF Newbie

96 Maxima - Occasionally dies while driving

This is my wife's car and on at least two occasions, the car has died when she let up on the gas pedal. It was hard to start after that. The first time it did not kick out any codes. Today it did. The codes were PO100 and PO325. The 100 is for the MAF sensor and the 325 is a knock sensor in Bank #1 or Sensor 1.

I know some malfunctions will cause erroneous trouble codes and I don't want to throw money away on good parts.
The car has just at 100k.

Any ideas?

Thank you
samahi72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 Maxima - Occasionally dies while driving

Because of age + mileage have your catalytic converters check at any local muffler shop.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Has the MAF sensor ever been cleaned if not get some maf sensor safe cleaner and give it a try, also I would check and clean Idle Air Control Valve.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samahi72 View Post
This is my wife's car and on at least two occasions, the car has died when she let up on the gas pedal. It was hard to start after that. The first time it did not kick out any codes. Today it did. The codes were PO100 and PO325. The 100 is for the MAF sensor and the 325 is a knock sensor in Bank #1 or Sensor 1.

I know some malfunctions will cause erroneous trouble codes and I don't want to throw money away on good parts.
The car has just at 100k.

Any ideas?

Thank you
MAF. (Knock sensor just affects ignition advance, exhaust can kill engine less than spare tire...) To test MAF when the problem is ON, just disconnect...

Some shops advertize under 100$, like http://www.driven2automotive.com

However, always before any electronics swap, test first charge voltage - at batt. And clean the connectors...

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

1) Clean MAF/IAT sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner.
2) Do a Google ''Youtube Auto MAF test''
3) Have both the battery + alternator load tested for free at any local auto parts store
A plugged catalytic converter can choke an engine out, a simple test canbe done free & rule it out.
4) Do a Google ''Youtube Auto catalytic converter test''
5) Fuel pressure test.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
5) Fuel pressure test.
If pump and/or its pwr fails - truly engine dies. And this problem can be intermittent as depicted, very rare compared to MAF. This is comparable to intermittently failing worn ign switch or whatever pwr failure...

Fuel pressure indicators when the problem is ON:
While engine is being cranked - and nostart - there will be noticeable gas smell. Even wifey will tell about this: This means that gas pump works up to a point... Also the gas hose is stiff when pressure is up, do feel it near the fuel filter under hood. (just indicators)

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
samahi72
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
1) Clean MAF/IAT sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner.
2) Do a Google ''Youtube Auto MAF test''
3) Have both the battery + alternator load tested for free at any local auto parts store
A plugged catalytic converter can choke an engine out, a simple test canbe done free & rule it out.
4) Do a Google ''Youtube Auto catalytic converter test''
5) Fuel pressure test.
Thanks for the You Tube suggestion. I am a real visual person and seeing others do it first really helps.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
fluor
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 96 Maxima - Occasionally dies while driving

Hi!
I just have same symptoms (P0100 and P0325) after my car was rearended. Is this the result of collision? Help anybody!
fluor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
samahi72
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluor View Post
Hi!
I just have same symptoms (P0100 and P0325) after my car was rearended. Is this the result of collision? Help anybody!
I did replace the MAF and the IAC. So far it seems to have solved the problem. Sorry to hear about the accident.