Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
heyraver
AF Newbie

About to buy an '02 I35... I have questions..

I'm about to buy '02 infiniti I35, very beautiful car but high miles (190K)
I'm purchasing the car for 3k, is it worth it?
Should I worry about the timing chain or tranny?

Thanks for feedback!
heyraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
heyraver
AF Newbie

Re: About to buy an '02 I35... I have questions..

Oh yeah, it has the 3.5 motor.
heyraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyraver View Post
I'm about to buy '02 infiniti I35, very beautiful car but high miles (190K)
I'm purchasing the car for 3k, is it worth it?
Should I worry about the timing chain or tranny?

Thanks for feedback!
General issues to check:

At 190k it has now (?) 2nd set of shock absobers, 3rd set have to be swapped in (I'd be now running 4th set.). Second water pump, exhaust pipe and alt about to die. Coilpacks (600-1000$ set) - swapped or not? Axle boots? When was last tranny oil change; when was brake fluid changed (if none, forget it). Brake fluid swap minimum once in 3yrs. Pads and rotors wear, calipers need service....
Any documents on those?

Cooling liquid: clean fluid or oily smudge? If clean, proceed... to oil stick. How does that look like. History of oil changes?

The chain. It should last lifetime - but will it? Get the idea how much that job i$ - if/when it becomes noisy.

Open trunk, peek under carpets around rear wheel wells (have a bright lamp ready). Rust? If so, find another... Check same area inside cabin, under seat.

Is it worth it? Depends how long youre going to keep it, how much you are willing shell out to replace all the worn out -parts waiting to be replaced... Check ten nearest similar HI MILEAGE cars and compare. (Theres no free miles: I am always after low mileage cars... gettin a real one needs patience; most cars sold have their mileage tampered)

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14

Last edited by Nahkapohjola; 03-03-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nahkapohjola For This Useful Post:
speediva (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Great comprehensive answer, Nahkapohjola.

If you can find out if the car was local, see if you can't find the Infiniti dealership where it was serviced most frequently and find out what work has been done. I know buying used and high mileage can be a RISKY venture. I recently bought a used Civic with 190k on it and with NO sign of warning, the starter just died.

I can say that you had best be prepared to find a GOOD foreign auto parts store in the area if you're planning on doing any maintenance/repair work yourself. If not, be prepared to pay slightly higher prices to have the work done by Infiniti with Infiniti parts. Sometimes I was able to get away with some work on my former Infin at a Nissan dealership, but half the workers didn't even know the engine in my G20 was identical to the Sentra...

Good luck in whatever decision you make. Post back and let us know how it's going!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote