Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 09:59 AM   #1
Travisatwork01
AF Newbie

Question Stalling problem

I own a 1988 Trooper that is having a stalling problem. The engine is a 4cyl, 2.6 with an automatic trans.
Description of the problem.
I can start the Trooper in the morning and drive about 15 minutes. Say I stop to get some gas, (5 minutes) and then start the Trooper. Anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes from that, the trooper will loose power and the engine and will stall. Example: I’m driving around 50 mph, I can look at the tachometer and see it drop to about 10000 RMPs for about 5 seconds and then the engine will die and backfire once. I have to wait about 2 to 5 minutes and then it will startup with no problems and I can drive all day. Sometimes, it will stall, then I have to wait 5 min, drive down the block and then the same thing will happen, but then I will have no problems. I changed fuel filter to see if that would help, but it did not.

Thanks.
Travisatwork01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
danielcrowder
AF Newbie

Same problem

I also have a 88 trooper ls, I am having the same problems as you are, will drive ok for a bit, then the engine will start to jerk, and lack power, you can cut engine off, and will drive good for a bit then start doing it again, I changed the fuel filter, cleaned out the gas tank, It had a ton of rust in it, fuel pump seems fine, checked the fuel lines all the way to the engine, all seems ok...Any suggestions....?
danielcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
Mark Rudy
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Stalling problem

I had a simular problem with my 87 with a 2.3 l engine. I changed all the fuel compenents (filter, pump even rebuilt the carb) then I found that I was having periods where i was getting NO spark from her. I changed ighnition module, then the whoel distributor, plug wires etc, still no reprieve...
Eventually i found the problem, a short inj the wiring behind the cannister against the firewall. I didnt replace the shorted wire YET because I got lazy, however I have the wires wedged and tied so they will not move at all and the problem has ceased. I even went 4 wheeling a few days ago and was pretty rough on the trooper and she never died once. I would start by checjking that area for a simular problem with your 88's

Hope it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisatwork01
I own a 1988 Trooper that is having a stalling problem. The engine is a 4cyl, 2.6 with an automatic trans.
Description of the problem.
I can start the Trooper in the morning and drive about 15 minutes. Say I stop to get some gas, (5 minutes) and then start the Trooper. Anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes from that, the trooper will loose power and the engine and will stall. Example: I’m driving around 50 mph, I can look at the tachometer and see it drop to about 10000 RMPs for about 5 seconds and then the engine will die and backfire once. I have to wait about 2 to 5 minutes and then it will startup with no problems and I can drive all day. Sometimes, it will stall, then I have to wait 5 min, drive down the block and then the same thing will happen, but then I will have no problems. I changed fuel filter to see if that would help, but it did not.

Thanks.
Mark Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:25 AM   #4
danielcrowder
AF Newbie

Please, if you have any more info on the wire you had to fix? Please post, like color of wire, what it went to? where exactly around the canister, any help would be great, thanks,
Daniel Crowder
danielcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #5
Mark Rudy
AF Newbie

Re: Stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielcrowder
Please, if you have any more info on the wire you had to fix? Please post, like color of wire, what it went to? where exactly around the canister, any help would be great, thanks,
Daniel Crowder

I havent exactly found the exact wire yet... I have been rather sick and lacking energy, and have been on a strenuous work schedule lately due to several recent vacancies at work and the rest of the 10 employees left having to pick up the slack for the 8 that left... I will TRY and get out there today and actually remove the cannister and track down the exact wire as well as where it comes from and where it goees to.. I had temporarily let that project alone as i had solved the "shorting" problem by wedging the wires into an immovable position where the vehicle ran... I will reply in a private message as well as in the forum what I find
Mark Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard