Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
recurve
AF Regular

Unhappy PCV hose question and sourcing - '95 Blazer

Hi Everyone,

I was changing the air filter in my 1995 Chevy Blazer on a cold morning then did something stupid. I heard and saw what I think is a PCV hose crack. I've taped it with duct tape and attached pictures of it. One photo is "far away" for perspective and the other is a "close up" shot.

Could someone verify for me that this is a PCV hose and if so what the part number might be from the dealer? Is there a better place to get a replacement?

I took it to my local mechanic today and he says the part is "discontinued" and that the dealer tracked down some remaining inventory in Florida. He says they want $35 for the hose! Actually he says that it's not just the hose but a bit more because it is solidly connected or something. Unfortunately I arrived too late for him to show me under the hood what he was talking about.

Somehow it doesn't sound quite correct to me. I know the hose comes out from the large rubber tubing that is close to the bumper. I can't get it to budge on the other side that plugs into the engine though.

Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg far_out_pcv_hose.jpg (45.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg close_up_pcv_hose.jpg (24.0 KB, 17 views)
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: PCV hose question and sourcing - '95 Blazer

Thats the breather tube. The PCV hose will go to the intake not the snorkel.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
recurve
AF Regular

Thanks Airjer. So it's the breather tube that goes into the snorkel. Does it make sense that it should cost $35 for a replacement? Where should I purchase another hose from?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

I'd get a piece of fuel line hose for a couple of bucks
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
recurve
AF Regular

Airjer thanks for your replies but I was looking for some more hand holding.

I don't think it is as simple as getting some generic fuel line hose. There is a special kind of connector that is "glued" onto one end that goes directly into the engine. See the attached picture.

I ended up paying nearly $40 for this breather tube. My mechanic called the local stealer and they said it was "vintage" and no longer made. Had it shipped up from Florida supposedly.

The part number is 10179239 (connects into snorkel) - aka "Breather tube".

From this place: www.gmpartsdirect.com
cost of breather tube - $4.95

I should have been more firm with my mechanic. I asked for the part number from him but he didn't know. He said he could cancel the order but I should have insisted on the part number. Then I'd have a shot at getting the part online. I just didn't know how to call this thing and look it up to price it.

Hopefully this post will help someone in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breather_hose.jpg (21.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Probably should have gone the way that airjer said. That's not going to influence emissions at all.

It pulls air INTO the crankcase (probably from the intake manifold), and then pulls it OUT of the crankcase through the PCV valve which stick out of the valve cover at a 90 angle. That tube is probably the only vacuum tube that can leak without causing a loping idle.

As long as at least a LITTLE air is getting pulled through the crankcase, you'll not get sludge build-up from fumes in the crankcase.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I don't think it is as simple as getting some generic fuel line hose. There is a special kind of connector that is "glued" onto one end that goes directly into the engine. See the attached picture.
A chunk of hose to splice together the two broken pieces and your good to go for about $1. It doesn't have to be pretty it just has to work. A lot of times the rubber style breather hoses will split from old age. I couldn't tell you how many of those i have rapped in black tape and reinstalled. They'll last the rest of the life of the car like that!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
egr , hose , pcv
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis