Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Corolla/Matrix/Voltz
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
mtmetzger
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mtmetzger
Stuck in first gear

Hey Guys, I just replaced an engine in my 95 Corolla base. I re-used my original automatic tranny, computer, etc. After I put everything in the car, I changed the transmission filter and added about 3 qts of fluid. It holds a total of like 5.6 qts, but I didnt measure how much came out, and the dipstick is not acurate until the tranny is warm, so I let it idle for a while, then I shut it off and checked the level. it was low, so I added another qt to it. Startered it up, shifted from Park to L and back up a few times. Then I took it for a spin for about 10 minutes. The tranns was shifting fine, but I could hear something hydraulic in the transmission engaging at idle. I figured it was just because it was low on fluid. Came back, the tranny was warm, so i checked the level again. It was still low, so I added another qt for a total of 5 qts plus whatever didnt drain from the tranny. Took it for another spin and it shifted fine until I got warm again, then it would not shift out of first gear and the transmission jerks when you put it in gear. I checked the fluid level and it is right on the full mark of the hot section when the tranny is warm. Any ideas from anyone? The tranns was perfect before the engine swap.
mtmetzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
nhiaxeng
AF Newbie

Re: Stuck in first gear

may be that the egine and or transmission mounts were damaged during the swap, check those and replace as necessary
nhiaxeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:28 AM   #3
Phreddo
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Phreddo Send a message via AIM to Phreddo Send a message via Yahoo to Phreddo
Re: Stuck in first gear

how hard is that?
Phreddo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Corolla/Matrix/Voltz