Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > Car and Driver
View Poll Results: Is Car and Driver a reliable source for automotive Info?
yes definetly 1 20.00%
decent source... makes a few mistakes 1 20.00%
not that great... makes many mistakes 2 40.00%
bad source... makes way tooo many mistakes 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
Desi Z 07
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Desi Z 07
OT: Question About Car and Driver

hi all...

i know that this is kind of off topic but i had a question about Car and Driver. Ive always known Car and driver to be a pretty reliable source. but now some of my friends say that it isnt, and that all there tests are rigged, and are all faulty. the fact that in one of their recent comparisons they gave the quartermile time for the HKS Acura RSX type S (with 20 grand in mods), as 15.3 seconds, when a stock RSX type S runs the quarter mile in the upper 14's, makes me question their reliability even further. any explalnations for this? or is it just that car and driver is faulty? does any one here trust car and driver?

thanx

McLaren F1 LM

Mugen Honda Integra Type R
Desi Z 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
CamaroSSBoy346
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CamaroSSBoy346
Re: OT: Question About Car and Driver

20K in mods in an RSX= 10K body kit, 5K Rims, 3K Wing, and 2K CAI.
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 302 H.O, A9L ECU swap, 65mm TB, 73mm Granetelli MAF, FRPP 30lb injectors, Walbro 255, MSD ignition, Powerdyne BD11 supercharger, Efans, T-5 swap w/ FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch and adjustable Steeda clutch quadrant, 4.10 gears, Nitto NT555R radials
2000 OBS Tahoe Z71 6k HIDs, 33" Goodyears. 280k mile daily beater
CamaroSSBoy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #3
EMAXX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EMAXX Send a message via MSN to EMAXX
Re: Re: OT: Question About Car and Driver

They are a prety good source, but I like to spend a few more bucks and get auto week instead. I just think its better.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
ToyTundra
AF Enthusiast

I hate communist and driver. All they do is make stuff up. Crutchfield gave me a year subscription for buying an amp, but all i do with them is use them to paint on.
-George
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
blueboost
AF Enthusiast

anytime I hear ppl talking about mags that lean their test results twards companies that advertise within the mag I assume car and driver to be one of the most likely mags that do so. Its a bunch of old-schoolers. how many years was it going to take them to acknowledge the import performance cars we all love? they've been around a long time and that recent issue was one of the first I know of that had an article regarding such cars. and then they test an RSX? WHY?
would good can possibly be said about that car anyways. (generally speaking the car doesn't respond to major modification w/ out major $$$)
Old 11-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #6
sifuspec
AF Newbie

Thumbs down

Wow your research into an RSX upgrades are outstanding!!

Thanks to the over-exagurating first poster thinking that a Prototype turbo charged HKS USA RSX Type S featured in September 2003 issue of Car and Driver runs 15.3 quarter miles.. I know the devices Car and Driver uses are pretty hefty devices but I DO question their results, not only that but at the end of the article they show ' real ' power by bringing a domestic monster onto the track and exagurating the performance on that.. Back to the RSX, 20k in mods, what for? material that HKS USA had.. including prototype turbocharger based on its GT2835 model, engine upgraded with HKS Super Mega Flow intake, and HKS F-Con S engine management system. Electronic including HKS 60mm electronic boost and EGT meters, an HKS Turbo Timer. all working together to further improve the car to add 100 hp on tap and around 100 lb of torque on tap.., and what for ? I doubt it was made to slow the car down to 15.3 from the C&D TESTED time of a stock RSX Type-S 15.3 Wow! lots of improvement.

I do relize weather and driver plays a factor in timing, but thats bullshit, how many test you think we're run for the result in the magazine, why does almighty Car and Driver make technologically advanced cars superior to the domestics seem like little remote control cars? I mean, look at the front of that magazine, ' We Wring out 16 of the highest-performance pocket rockets on the planet ' Almighty detroit muscle and brain can't die, Car and Driver won't let it putting bullshit like this up there..

My 2 cents
sifuspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
sifuspec
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboost
anytime I hear ppl talking about mags that lean their test results twards companies that advertise within the mag I assume car and driver to be one of the most likely mags that do so. Its a bunch of old-schoolers. how many years was it going to take them to acknowledge the import performance cars we all love?
I agree with you on that part, everything below, nope.. lol

RSX-S responds well to a AEM or Injen CAI, barks when you go through power band, as well as a ECU flash will lower the vtec cam switchover lower thus making the engine feel livelier.. Many other mods can be put onto the DC5 chassis making it a very tunable platform.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Pocket Rocket is a complimentary statement in regards to small car performance, guys.

Honestly, Car & Driver is admittably very middle-of-the-road when it comes to their stance on cars. These are guys who worshipped the Golf GTi when it was introduced, and then cheered when Shelby and Chrysler put together a box that could stomp it.

They aren't the sportscar guys over at Road & Track, nor are they the high-and-mighty taste leaders of Automobile, but Car & Driver is pretty good overall. Besides, Battle of the Beaters ($500 Camaro, VW Rabbit, and SA22C RX-7 battle) still stands as one of the most hilarious articles ever.

"The RX-7 somehow, we don't know how, we might have been taking a nap that day, got itself stuck in a knee-deep bayou."

Classic.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:05 PM   #9
blueboost
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
the car doesn't respond to major modification w/ out major $$$
I knew I was going to catch heat for that. but I said MAJOR modification. any car is going to see an increase in HP from intake and exhaust modifications. thats MINOR mods. I meant forced induction. I drive an RSX all the time I am familiar with the car. the unmodified RSX is a blast to drive, I like the car. but I've heard of countless blown tranny's (my best friends dad is finance mgr @ an Acura dealership) and I doubt that you can run much boost on the stock internals. therefore I stand behind what I said that the car needs a lot more $$$ to make a lot more HP, unlike some other imports they didn't even mention

*cough* NISSAN *cough*
Old 11-01-2003, 02:08 PM   #10
sifuspec
AF Newbie

Whoops x_x didn't read that close enough.. You're correct with that statement too, knowing fully turbo charging a car with stock internals results in more money out of your pocket than putting it through rebuilding the engine in the first place .. LOL

Nissan? I'll take a Mine's Ultimate Straight 6 RB26DETT R34
Old 11-01-2003, 02:10 PM   #11
blueboost
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Nissan? I'll take a Mine's Ultimate Straight 6 RB26DETT R34

OMG have you seen that best motoring video? if not let me know and I'll send it to you. S I C K.

p.s., going NA, you may be able to cough some decent HP out of that engine, no disrespect to the RSX as I said I DO like the car. its no DC2 though IMO.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:13 PM   #12
sifuspec
AF Newbie

Yes it isn't a DC2 but it sure does carry the DC2 attitude, oh and I was just about to paste the link to that Best Motoring video too!! LOL..

http://grab.orsm.net/update20031015/gtr34.wmv

Man love that Tach..
Old 11-28-2003, 01:06 PM   #13
bm2boats
AF Regular

CAR AND DRIVER sucks. wHAT ELSE WOULD YOU EXPECT FROM A FRENCH OWNED COMPANY. FUCK THE FRENCH.
bm2boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:54 AM   #14
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Z 07
hi all...

i know that this is kind of off topic but i had a question about Car and Driver. Ive always known Car and driver to be a pretty reliable source. but now some of my friends say that it isnt, and that all there tests are rigged, and are all faulty. the fact that in one of their recent comparisons they gave the quartermile time for the HKS Acura RSX type S (with 20 grand in mods), as 15.3 seconds, when a stock RSX type S runs the quarter mile in the upper 14's, makes me question their reliability even further. any explalnations for this? or is it just that car and driver is faulty? does any one here trust car and driver?

thanx

i like C/D its better in my oppinion than R/T more professional and has more info, i sure hope thier 3.3 0-60 of the Ford GT is right R/T got 3.8 and motor trend got 3.6 lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
pac4life
AF Regular

Re: Question About Car and Driver

Absolutely a good source.

- pac4life -
-R.I.P Tupac Shakur-
pac4life is offline   Reply With Quote