Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
myuglystik
AF Newbie

97 Aerostar 2wd 3.0 will not start

we have a 3.0 Aerostar that will not start, it cranks over really strong, and will not start even when sprayed with starting fluid, figured this rules out the fuel system, we have a lite hooked to a spark plug wire and can not get a spark, we have looked for a ignition control module all under the hood and on the fender wells where the Hayes manual states it would be, also in research I have seen several times that the powertrain control module now preforms the same task of the Ign module. so now we are trying to locate the PCM, does anyone know where it is located, and we have all ready checked the plastic in the floor board on the passenger side. or does anyone know what else might could be the no starting problem maybe, I need to fix this van, it is the wifes and it quit right in front of my boat!!! Thanks also we have already change out the coil pack about two years ago and this engine is a EDIS or does not have a disturbator cap but a coil pack on it if this matters. thanks again !!!
myuglystik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
myuglystik
AF Newbie

Re: 97 Aerostar 2wd 3.0 will not start

now we are doing the shotgun effect, we have changed the cam shaft pos. sensor with no luck. now should it be the crank shaft sensor, or the trucks EEC ? does anyone have any ideas on what to check, or how to check out the problem ? here under the shade tree !! Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Selectron
AF Enthusiast

Hi, I'm not familiar with your vehicle so I can't offer any specific help, but it might be worth looking at the Aerostar vehicle repair guide on www.autozone.com - click on Repair Info at the left of the Autozone home page, then Vehicle Repair Guides, and then select your vehicle.

There's a component location guide which refers to the PCM as the 'Engine Control Computer', and the location is described as:
Quote:
On your 1997 Ford Truck Aerostar 2WD (3.0L FI), the Engine Control Computer is located: Under hood, driver side, rear engine area, driver side of master cylinder, mounted on firewall
There are wiring diagrams in the Chassis Electrical section, although they stop at 1996. The '96 engine controls diagram (listed as 'Fig. 7: Engine control wiring-1996 3.0L engine') shows an inline fuse supplying 12V to the PCM on pin 55, so it would be worth trying to locate the fuse, and check it.

If you have a multimeter or 12V test lamp, you could check that the fuel injector red wires have 12V with the ignition switched to the On position - each injector has a red and a non-red wire, so you can check any of the red ones. You could also check to see if 12V is reaching the inertia fuel shutoff switch.

If you find 12V on the red wires at the fuel injectors then that confirms that the PCM Power Relay is working ok, and if you find 12V at the inertia fuel shutoff switch (with ignition switch at On position) then that confirms that the Fuel Pump Relay is working ok.

It would also be worth taking a look at the fuse panels - there will probably be one under the hood and one in the vehicle interior, and check them for any blown fuses.

As I said though, I'm not familiar with the Aerostar - I'm just basing this on the wiring diagrams at Autozone. Good luck, and let me know if you think I can help with anything.
Selectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
myuglystik
AF Newbie

will after checking your suggestions, I had power to the EEC or,(ECC) (PCM) all means the same. I went ahead and ordered the EEC which cost $159.00 at Advanced Auto, and it fired right up, so thanks for your help. I hope this thread might help someone else in times to come and thanks again.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
dslpwer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuglystik View Post
we have a 3.0 Aerostar that will not start, it cranks over really strong, and will not start even when sprayed with starting fluid, figured this rules out the fuel system, we have a lite hooked to a spark plug wire and can not get a spark, we have looked for a ignition control module all under the hood and on the fender wells where the Hayes manual states it would be, also in research I have seen several times that the powertrain control module now preforms the same task of the Ign module. so now we are trying to locate the PCM, does anyone know where it is located, and we have all ready checked the plastic in the floor board on the passenger side. or does anyone know what else might could be the no starting problem maybe, I need to fix this van, it is the wifes and it quit right in front of my boat!!! Thanks also we have already change out the coil pack about two years ago and this engine is a EDIS or does not have a disturbator cap but a coil pack on it if this matters. thanks again !!!
There are 4 modules on the divers side off the vehical are on the fender. They are all in a row. I had this problem when one off them got wet on the inside and therefore burnt it out. If in fact you are still having problems with your Van, Drop me an E-mail at dslpwer@hotmail.com
Thanks
dslpwer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar