Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Diecast Car Modeling
Diecast Car Modeling Discuss and show diecast vehicles that you have modified, or that you have collected.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
AF Die-Cast Modeling FAQ- *Look Here First*

Welcome to the Die-Cast forum of Automotive Forums (AF). This is the FAQ to get you started, or to help you out along the way. Please read this first. Most of your questions can most likely be answered here. If there is something that isnt here that should be in the FAQ please Private Message (PM) me.

---------------------------------------------------

About the Forum(s):

Hello, Im new here

How do I post images/pictures here?

Resurecting/Posting in old threads

Attachments

Die-Cast Car Modeling

What tools do I need?

How do I do this? (Tutorial Depository)

How Popular is Die-Cast Modeling?

Where do I buy them?

How big are they?

How much do they cost?

What are some good quality Die-Cast Models?

Good die-cast sites

What do I use to strip the paint?

Misc

Photography

Stuff you want to keep handy around your shop (Print this stuff out)

---------------------------------------------------
Please bare with me. This is going to be a slow process. If there is anything you would like to see in the FAQ, suggestions, comments, and feedback please feel free to PM me.

This FAQ is for moderators to post in and edit. All other posts/replies will be deleted.

Thank you.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery

Last edited by mike@af; 09-05-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Hello, I'm new here

Hello, I'm new here!

Welcome to Automotive Forums (AF). AF is the largest online automotive message board. Feel free to start a new thread saying a little about yourself, your plans here, and what back ground you come from (Tuners/Imports, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods, Motorcycles, etc.).

Also, continue reading the FAQ. After reading it, check it ever so often for updates. Sometimes you forget about things in the FAQ and post something that has been answered, then look like a fool .

Old 05-01-2004, 10:28 AM   #3
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

How do I post images/pictures here?

How to post pictures here on AF:

Click the gallery link at the top of every page.

Then click Upload Photos

When the page loads, click the browse button in the middle of the right side. Now search for your picture.
Requirements for uploading a picture:
-JPEG picture file [.jpg (i.e.: mypicture.jpg)]
-The file must be smaller than 80k

Select the file and click OK.

Now click the Upload/Submit button.

After that you will be taken to an Image List. Click Process Files. Once the files have been processed they are put into your gallery.

Now up at the top left of the page there will be a link to My Gallery, click that.

Once you have found the thumbnail of the image you wish to post into a thread or reply, click it.

Now you will be taken to the picture in a larger view with a short script to put in your thread or post.

That short script will be right below the large version of your picture. Highlight the text/script. The Script will look something like [img]http://files.automotiveforums.com/mypicture.jpg[img]
Once that text, in the textbox, is highlighted copy it (Ctrl+C)

Now go to your thread or post and paste that short script directly into your thread or post (Ctrl+V).

This tutorial will be edited at a later to date to have step-by-step pictures.

Old 05-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Resurecting/Posting in old threads

This is a touchy subject here on AF. Sometimes its OK, other times you could be banned.

If its a thread older than one month and it is not your thread, do not post a reply. PM the person that started the thread to see if they are still intrested in the topic, or could possibly answer your question.

Never bring up a post more than a few months old, except for one circumstance. If it is your thread, and you have updates then it is ok to post the updates and bring it up to the top, but do NOT bump it, the thread will be locked or deleted. Remember, only if its a few months old, and its your thread and you have updates you can bring it up. Otherwise start a new thread.

NEVER EVER Bring up a thread that is more than one year old. Start a new thread.

Its a touchy subject. Sometimes its OK, other times is wrong. Use your best judgement.

Old 05-01-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Attachments

There are some old threads that have attachments, and links to view the attachments. Those links and attachments will not work (they were used during a time about a year ago for some reason, nobody knows why).

If you really would like to view the attachments PM the person asking if he/she still has the files they attached.

Old 05-01-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

What tools do I need?

What tools do I need?

---------------------------------------------

Screwdriver-The basic tool for taking apart any diecast (usually a Phillips head, the + one). You'll need a few different sizes for different models. Can be found almost anywhere.

Sandpaper-Sandpaper comes in many sizes and grits. For rough and shaping sanding use 100-200 grit. For a smoother feel (and for pre-priming) try a sandpaper above 300. Before priming sand with 800 grit dry, then with wetsand with 800-2000grit. When sanding paint use grits greater than 1000. Use only Automotive sandpapers, 3M automotive sanding films are the best. Can be purchased at Wal-Mart auto aisles, and auto shops.

Model Cement/Glue- Also known as CA glue. Its very useful, its like "model duct tape". Can be purchased at many places, dollar store, grocery store, hobby shop, etc.

Two Part Epoxy-Used often for joining to pieces of metal together that will need strength. Suggested epoxies are: 3M, Loctite, JBweld. Can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot, and other hardware stores.

Rotary Tool-Widely known as a Dremel tool. Used for cutting metal, its the best way to go. Hand tools just dont work as well. With a dremel you can make nice clean cuts. Also there is a very wide Variety of attachments for a Dremel, from cutting wheels to engravers. Dremel is definately a top notch, high quality brand rotary tool. Can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot, or hardware stores.

Scissors-Get some nice sharp scissors, you never know when you will need them. Sometimes those boxes are a pain to open. Use these scissors for cutting posterboard templates and others papers. Also get another pair of "shop" scissors, heavy duty scissors that will be thrown around and used to cut whatever possible, plastic, zip-ties, wire, etc. Mark them as "SHOP" so you dont mess up your "Good" scissors. Can be purchased all over the place.

Sanding Files-A must if you plan to do any sort of heavy modification (i.e. body kits). Get a variety of them, you never know when you need them. Can be purchased at a hobby shop, sometimes craft stores.

Parts bin-Get a plastic parts bin with some dividers so you dont lose parts like screws and other misc. things. Trust me, being organized, at least somewhat, really helps. These can usually be purchased at a craft store.

X-Acto knives-If you plan on doing any modification these are a must. They clean up imperfections from the factory, sperate parts, etc. These are a must. Get a good set of Hobby Knives, such as X-Acto. Can be purchased at craft stores, and hobby shops.

Specialty Items:

Epoxy Putty-
A common substance used for making bodykits. Operates the same way as Epoxy but is a solid with the consistency of clay. Drys rock solid. Can be hard to find, try hobby shops for Tamiya brand or other hardware shops for more widely availible brands.

Bondo-Another substance use for bodywork or bodykits. Just like when working on the real 1:1 cars this can be used to recreate body parts. Similar to Epoxy putty. Use Body Filler for large jobs, spot putty is not reccomended for anything but filling small holes in body filler.Widely availible at Autoparts stores and Wal-Mart's auto aisle.

Polish-The way to get a great shine in paint. Useful when painting with lacquer paint. Meguiars Cleaner wax is excellent for buffing and polishing out orange peel in paints. Can be found at Autoparts stores.
---------------------------------------------
If you have any suggestions of tools that are used often please PM me.

Tools listed in navy were submitted by Gafoto.

Last edited by mike@af; 05-01-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Do you need help with something your doing on your die-cast? Read the Tutorial Depository that will be coming soon. It will be updated everytime there is a new tutorial. If you have a tutorial please go here.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Sadly actual die-cast modeling isnt that popular around. Die-Cast models have been around for nearly a century as collectors item, but nobody really models them, and modifies them.

Its time for change, start modifying your die-casts and post whatever information on them here. If you have friends that model with die-casts tell them about this place, we need more members in this forum.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:18 AM   #9
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Where do I buy them?

Where do I buy them?
Die-Cast models can be purchased at almost any toy store and hobby shop. Just look around, Toys R Us carries a variety of die-casts, as well as Wal-Mart, Target carries a good amount of them too. Kay Bee toys has LOTS of diecasts models, they can be a little pricey there but if you are looking for a car in particular, they would be the best place to look.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #10
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

How big are they?

How big are they?

Die-Casts come in a variety of sizes, 1:24 scale and 1:18 scale are the most common. Jada Toys, Import Racer models, mainly come in 1:24 scale and a few 1:18 scale. Dub City models come in 1:24 and 1:18 scale, usually 1:24. Hot wheels die-casts are usually 1:18 scale.

1:24 scale=approx 8"
1:18 scale=approx 10"

Old 05-01-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

How much do they cost?

How much do they cost?

It depends on the model, and the scale. Jada Toys usually cost around $15.99USD-$19.99USD for 1/24 models. Some cost more depending on the scale. DubCity models run around the same price too. Hot Wheels Die-Cast models are usually $19.99USD-$30.99USD.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:29 AM   #12
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Bburango
Maisto
Jada Toys
DubCity
Hot Wheels

Old 05-01-2004, 11:35 AM   #13
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Photography

Photography

Try not to take pictures with lots of clutter in the background. If your taking pictures in your work area clean off an area so the clutter doesnt detract from the model.

For final photography of a finished product try to take pictures in a "white room" where the background is just white, appears to be an endless room. Also, taking pictures outside can give the appearence of a real car.

Clarity tips:
If buying a camera get a digital camera with at leat 2.0 Megapix (MP) and make sure it has MACRO. Macro is a must, with out it the close up pics will be blurred.

Make sure Macro is on when taking pictures within 2 feet. If its not on pictures can be blurry.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:14 PM   #14
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

This is a fraction to decimal conversion chart for all of you that still use the American English Standard Units.

Fractions in RED = Decimal in BLUE

1/64 = .0156
1/32 = .0312
3/64 = .0468
1/16 = .0625
5/64 = .0781
3/32 = .0937
7/64 = .1093
1/8 = .125
9/64 = .1406
5/32 = .1562
11/64 = .1718
3/16 = .1875
13/64 = .2031
7/32 = .2187
15/64 = .2343
1/4 = .250
17/64 = .2656
9/32 = .2812
19/64 = .2968
5/16 = .3125
21/64 = .3281
11/32 = .3437
23/64 = .3593
3/8 = .375
25/64 = .3906
13/32 = .4062
27/64 = .4218
7/16 = .4375
29/64 = .4531
15/32 = .4687
31/64 = .4843
1/2 = .500
33/64 = .5156
17/32 = .5312
35/64 = .5468
9/16 = .5625
37/64 = .5781
19/32 = .5937
39/64 = .6093
5/8 = .625
41/64 = .6406
21/32 = .6562
43/64 = .6718
11/16 = .6875
45/64 = .7031
23/32 = .7187
47/64 = .7343
3/4 = .750
49/64 = .7656
25/32 = .7812
51/64 = .7968
13/16 = .8125
53/64 = .8281
27/32 = .8437
55/64 = .8593
7/8 = .875
57/64 = .8906
29/32 = .9062
59/64 = .9218
15/16 = .9375
61/64 = .9531
31/32 = .9687
63/64 = .9843
1 = 1.000

Hope this helps all of you. I will add to this later Im tired of typing and stuff, I will add a conversion to metric (mm).

Old 09-05-2004, 01:55 PM   #15
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Re: AF Die-Cast Modeling FAQ- *Look Here First*

What do I use to strip the paint?

There are many chemicals that will strip paint, but each of them has their pros and cons.

Castrol Super Cleaner (CSC) is an excellent stripper and will not damage plastic or skin.

Brake Fluid (DOT 3 is best) will strip the paint and will not damage plastics

Acetone will strip paints very well, however it will melt polystyrenes (foams and plastics).

Nail Polish Remover with out Acetone works alright, definately not the best.

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) will strip the paint, and eat some metals. Also, do not get on plastic, latex, rubber, or skin. This is only reccomended for professionals.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Diecast Car Modeling