Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
penny123
AF Newbie

How can I disable auto thief?????

I have a 96 achieva and have had problems since I bought it used. At first when I turned the key and the dash lights did not come on it would start and then immedially shut-off. I had the starter replaced and things were OK for a while and now when I turn on the switch and the dash lights come on, if the security light is flashing or flickering(don't know why it flickers) the car will start but will shut off in about 30 secs. I was told by a machanic at the dealership to leave the switch in the on position until the light stopped flashing to re-set the security system. This works sometimes, but if I wait until the light is on but not flashing the car will start and stay on. I saw on the web that a recall about leaving the switch on could cause it to fry the switch. I have driven it with the security light flashing after I was on the road and the engine didn't shut-off. Also the daytime lights don't work and the high-beam light flash sometimes too. Love the car otherwise. If you have the answer please let me know. Penny123
penny123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
raycorri
AF Regular

Re: How can I disable auto thief?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny123
I have a 96 achieva and have had problems since I bought it used. At first when I turned the key and the dash lights did not come on it would start and then immedially shut-off. I had the starter replaced and things were OK for a while and now when I turn on the switch and the dash lights come on, if the security light is flashing or flickering(don't know why it flickers) the car will start but will shut off in about 30 secs. I was told by a machanic at the dealership to leave the switch in the on position until the light stopped flashing to re-set the security system. This works sometimes, but if I wait until the light is on but not flashing the car will start and stay on. I saw on the web that a recall about leaving the switch on could cause it to fry the switch. I have driven it with the security light flashing after I was on the road and the engine didn't shut-off. Also the daytime lights don't work and the high-beam light flash sometimes too. Love the car otherwise. If you have the answer please let me know. Penny123
'96 and '97 Achieva both have Passlock 1 technology. Use a modification to add a switch to disable passlock. See this thread on the Malibu forum:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=454520

Ray Proud Member of The Anti-Passlock Club

Last edited by raycorri; 01-24-2006 at 07:39 PM.
raycorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
ashmot
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycorri
'96 and '97 Achieva both have Passlock 1 technology. Use a modification to add a switch to disable passlock. See this thread on the Malibu forum:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbu...ad.php?t=454520

Ray Proud Member of The Anti-Passlock Club

I am new to the forum and has been troubled with the same problem of no start (actually 97 Olds Achieva 4 cyl) starts and then sputurs or dies down for now last 3-4 months.
I tried today for the first time to research this on line and found several people have been mentioning of this problem.
I did learn new things and tried the "http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbu...ad.php?t=454520" link but could not view the web page.

I have called the dealership from whom I had bought the car and his opinion was to disconnect the battery(both terminals), wait for 15 - 20minutes. This will delete the computer fail codes and car will restart with some sputtering.
I have tried this 3-4 times and it works, but the problem is that it bothers me and I cannot seem to use the car without fearing that it will die on me sonmetimes when I am driving it.

Is there a procedure to disable the Passlock 1 but still use the remote starter (as with key or starter I have had the same luck.)
Thanks for any help that will make life easier.
ashmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
raycorri
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmotI did learn new things and tried the "[URL="http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbu...ad.php?t=454520"
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbu...ad.php?t=454520[/url]" link but could not view the web page.

Is there a procedure to disable the Passlock 1 but still use the remote starter (as with key or starter I have had the same luck.)
Thanks for any help that will make life easier.
Here is the corrected link, sorry about that.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=454520

The following GM engineering bulletin was written for Trucks with passlock technology, but you can access your 3 (very thin 20 gauge-- yellow, black, and white) passlock wires exiting your ignition lock cylinder. (Wrapped in black tape) The Yellow Wire in this bundle is the Data wire. After you complete this modification, you will be able to use your key or remote starter.
http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull26.pdf

The following links will help 1996-1998 Achieva owners access their Passlock Yellow Data Wire so that they can perform the Modification!

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...1&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...2&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...7&link=BULLDOG

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...8&link=BULLDOG

Hope this can benefit you!

Ray

Proud Member of The Anti-Passlock Club

Last edited by raycorri; 01-24-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
ashmot
AF Newbie

Ray, I appreciate your response and links to the pictures that pertain to Achieva. The Engineering bulletin confuses me as it pertains to the truck. I will try to put in plain english steps that I take to verify if I did something wrong.
I will respond in few moments following this message.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
ashmot
AF Newbie

Ray
Thanks for providing great informational details.
I wish I can send you pictures of the wire hireness connections, before I make any amends.
I think the remote starter (with trunk release and door locks) with a switch in my car was added as an after market item. I have 3 wires coming out of the lock cyliner (2 black and 1 black-white or grey) with a male connector. This connects to a female connector with black-white-yellow (1 each) wires.
The procedure that I need to use in plain English is as follows:

Step1: Start the engine
Step2: If the idiot light "Security" is not ON then turn 'OFF' the remote switch. (It will unable all functions of the remote control pad.) What should be done if the idiot light "Security" is ON? I normally get this reset by disconnecting the battery for 10-20 minutes. Is this is the acceptable method to delete all codes from the computer and reset it?
Step3: Unplug the above mentioned connector OR unplug just the yellow wire?? Please confirm.

Step4: Shut the engine
Step5: Restart the engine
Step6: Turn 'ON' the remote switch.
Step7: Shut the engine
All should be well from here on. All my miseries over and Bye-Bye. I should be able to use the remote starter, trunk release and door locks. If I disconnect the yellow wire only then will the remote starter pad work or not. Please advise.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
raycorri
AF Regular

Unplug the above mentioned connector OR unplug just the yellow wire??

If you will still be using your remote starter, then you will need to add that on/off toggle switch. In that case you will need to cut the yellow wire instead of just unplugging it or the whole plug. Those other wires are crucial for your remote starter to work. If you can find out which Bypass Module is installed in there, then you might be able to undo the wiring. If it will be a few days until you can add the switch, then you can just start your car and then unplug the plug with the black, white, and yellow. You will probably not be able to use your remote start ---- just your key until you add the switch. Your security light will stay on all the time--- this is telling you that passlock is disabled. You don't want to reset the Security light!

If you do not go through with any of this modification, then the standard way to reset your security is not by disconnecting your battery. Simply turn your ignition to run position for 10 minutes---- when security light stops blinking your car should start right up. Your security light will go out. Hope this makes some sense.

Here is the Disablement procedure/bulletin re-written so that it might make better sense for cars.

PASSLOCK I or II DISABLEMENT

The following is a procedure to disable Passlock I or II Systems for vehicles in which remote start/stop system installations are required. This procedure is required because a remote start system will not function with the current Theft Deterrent System (Passlock) which is included on many 1996 and up GM vehicles.

Please note that this modification is intended to be used only in conjunction with the installation of a remote start/stop system and does not provide a procedure to install a remote start/stop system.

CAUSE
If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation in the ignition switch, the Body Control Module (BCM) will interpret this start as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

CORRECTION
A minor wiring modification may be made to allow the vehicle to be started remotely. This modification includes adding a switch to allow the customer to select “ON” to allow remote starting or “OFF” for normal Passlock operation.

CAUTION: When this modification is performed and the switch is set to the ON position, the theft deterrent feature will be disabled. When the theft
deterrent is disabled the SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM telltale will light up indicating that the theft deterrent system is NOT functioning.

PASSLOCK MODIFICATION
Refer to appropriate GM service manuals and/or SVMQP Electrical Guideline Manual for instruction on splicing and electrical connections.
1. Select a suitable on-off switch (see note below) which will be used to disable/
enable the Passlock System. Mount the switch in a location such that it is
accessible to the driver and will not interfere with normal vehicle operation.
NOTE: This is an extremely low current circuit (approx. 7mA), it is therefore very important that a high quality, low energy, fast acting switch be utilized
for this application.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3. Locate the Main Ignition Switch Harness in the Column. GM's Passlock System wires exit the Ignition Switch Tumbler together and then join with the Main Ignition Switch Harness. (See www.bulldogsecurity.com or http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp and select your Make, Model and Year for wire colors and clues on the quickest way to access these wires.)
4. Locate the Yellow Passlock Data Wire which is included in a bundle of three tiny (20 GA) wires wrapped in friction tape.
Cut this wire and splice a 0.5mm2 (20 GA) yellow wire to each end of the cut wire.
Keep wire length to a minimum. Route modification wires clear of moving parts.
Connect the yellow wires to the switch such that the contacts are OPEN when the switch is in the ON position.
5. Turn modification switch to the OFF postion (contacts closed).
6. Start vehicle to verify normal operation. If engine “cranks but will not start"
recheck the switch position (contacts should be closed), wire connectors and
modification wiring.

SWITCH OPERATION

To enable remote start:
Start the engine with the ignition key (modification switch must be in the OFF
position). Turn modification switch to the ON position (contacts open). The
SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM Telltale will light up indicating that the Passlock System is inoperative.
Once the SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM telltale has been on for at least 5 seconds the vehicle can be turned off and then remotely started.

To disable remote start:
The Passlock System can be reactivated by turning the modification switch OFF
(contacts closed). Vehicle can either be running or off when this is done.

Please note that the VCM/PCM will record Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) related to the security system when the modification switch is in the ON position (circuit open). This is due to the way that the VCM/PCM interprets this condition.

NOTICE
Any condition which removes battery power from the Vehicle Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (VCM/PCM) (e.g. dead battery, disconnected harness connectors, etc.) will prevent the vehicle from being restarted. If the engine exhibits a “cranks but will not start” symptom, place the modification switch in the OFF (contacts closed) position. This will reactivate the Passlock System and allow the vehicle to be started with the ignition key.

Ray

Proud Member of The Anti-Passlock Club
Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
ashmot
AF Newbie

Thank you for the detailed step by step information.
I will try this sometimes this week and inform the forum how it all went.
Appreciate your quick responses.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
dean smith
AF Newbie

1997 pontiac grand am has no spark no fuel does not disengague the shift lock ? only codes were o2 sensor
dean smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Vintagerides2012
AF Newbie

Well I have had this car sitting for over two years and the security kept shutting it off after a few min I did the reset and it didn't work check the relays they seemed fine tried the resistor trick work for a day and I gave up then I got access to a wireing schematic for the Oldsmobile achievable 1997 model and relized that there is resistance readings to the security system from the fuel pump relay and the ecm relay so I check those the resistance was off on the fuelpump relay only slightly so I changed it the security light went out and she runs perfect who would have guessed gm would do something so dumb but even worse for Briggs and Stratton for building the passlock security as crappy as they did but anyway if your security light is one and stays on just change you relay and turn key and off you go its a common issue just none has ever posted this fix for it till I am now so hope it helps anyone who might have this same issues with passlock its on most mid late 90s model gm cars this is passlock 1 only 2 is not the same but does has full wire resistance readings and might have same issue ... Any? Email me vintagerides2012@gmail.com
Vintagerides2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #11
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I seem to be missing something here......what does the resistance of these two relays have to do with the PassLock system?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva