Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Re: eBay market dried up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMazar View Post
For one paypal is a an ebay company. Maybe people are sitting on their stashes for when they retire they can have some spending fiat money. Plus who needs ebay when you have a great classifieds section like we do here!!
Maybe people are sitting on their stashes for when they retire so they don't have to participate in mindless activities, like golf?

cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
cjsbosox
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post
Maybe people are sitting on their stashes for when they retire so they don't have to participate in mindless activities, like golf?

A WHOLE ROOM FOR KITS!!!!????

Another day on the job!
cjsbosox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsbosox View Post
A WHOLE ROOM FOR KITS!!!!????
LOL...no! I'm in the middle of moving this week (this is the room that's been designated as my modelling room). Just spent the week boarding the attic - they're all up there now, safely away from my ladies!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
jano11
AF Enthusiast

eBay isn't anymore what it used to be.
Whatever I look for on eBay over 80% or the articles are sold be professional sellers or shops and the prices are usually over the price that I would pay in an online shop or even in a local shop.
Not to mention the incredibly high shipping costs that many sellers are asking for, especially the German and US sellers have a habit of overdoing it.
I rarely sell or buy on eBay anymore, it is not worth it anymore.
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

yeah, the shipping is ridiculous. I'm more than happy to sell to international customers, and I only charge the actual cost of shipping (not my time or for supplies), but I sorta feel bad for the buyers because int'l shipping costs are $20-35 dollars.
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

noticed too that nowadays you don't see much of kits on ebay...a lot are now those die-casts from china.

really sucks this time to be looking for old kits on ebay. needs more time too to find one you like, unlike before that you can go on the site and a search will always give you what you're looking for.

bvc, would you mind sharing with us what you're planning to sell?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #22
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post

I see many 1/12 models!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jano11 View Post
eBay isn't anymore what it used to be.
Whatever I look for on eBay over 80% or the articles are sold be professional sellers or shops and the prices are usually over the price that I would pay in an online shop or even in a local shop.
Not to mention the incredibly high shipping costs that many sellers are asking for, especially the German and US sellers have a habit of overdoing it.
I rarely sell or buy on eBay anymore, it is not worth it anymore.
I agree. Ebay peaked as an "auction site for collectors" about 2003 and has been in decline ever since. When collector/sellers no longer trust there will be enough bids to make it worth risking a low starting bid you end up with a retail site. The 7 day live-auction price is a fraction of what it once was. (Super-rare stuff can still do well if it's marketed right but it takes more than 7 days.....)

Now that it is free to list week after week there's been a marked increase in amateur retailers listing hundreds (thousands even) of common items at or above MSRP week after week after week. Unfortunately, this crowds out the rare and interesting stuff that most of us actually go to eBay for!

Shipping to Europe has gotten way outa hand too but it isn't greedy American sellers. The US post office has hiked fees way up and made it difficult to ship anything without Priority Level service (no tracking, no insurance). I'm hoping DHL or some other service will step up and offer some competition but for now it's tough to sell a $100 model when it takes $55 to ship it to the UK.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
Vette Modeller
AF Newbie

Enjoyed this thread since it reflected many of the thoughts that I've come to think about ebay and confirmed my decision not to buy there anymore. To me it all seemed to start when paypal become the sole payment method and fees & postage have continued to rise since then. As a Canadian I've discovered what some of the European posters have, sellers who won't send outside the US and shipping costs that are higher then the cost of the purchased kit. I have more kits in my stash now, then I'll build in my lifetime so even if it's a kit that I'd like I'll to without or find elsewhere.
Vette Modeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
petesy
AF Regular

One thing I don't understand is the hatred towards PayPal. Does anyone remember the days before PayPal?

Getting money order whose fee costs more than the purchase itself; having a myriad of money orders that may or may not be cashable by the seller; money order getting lost in the mail; seller getting a counterfeit money order or cheque that bounced a week after the item is shipped off; buyer wiring money through Western Union, only to never hear from the seller again...

The fee might be high for PayPal, but I find the convenience far outweighs it.
petesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
360spider
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesy View Post
One thing I don't understand is the hatred towards PayPal. Does anyone remember the days before PayPal?

Getting money order whose fee costs more than the purchase itself; having a myriad of money orders that may or may not be cashable by the seller; money order getting lost in the mail; seller getting a counterfeit money order or cheque that bounced a week after the item is shipped off; buyer wiring money through Western Union, only to never hear from the seller again...

The fee might be high for PayPal, but I find the convenience far outweighs it.
Convenience - yes. Price and exclusivity - no. There are other services similar to Paypal that are MUCH cheaper, and better, but they are not allowed on eBay cause Paypal is an ebay company and has a monopoly on eBay payments. this is what drives the hatred of Paypal.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #27
firun
AF Regular

360spider, well if to be absolutely precise, eBay supports 3rd-party payment systems like Moneybookers. But anyway PayPal is so popular and it was the first successful payment system that it's still unbeatable. Of course without eBay it wouldn't be so unbeatable

My kits collection.
firun is offline   Reply With Quote