Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
baron1701
AF Regular

2003 Caravan 3.3L Coolant level

Hi - I have replaced my Thermostat, radiator, metal coolant pipe and water pump and still my coolant burps out of the overflow tank.

The last radiator looked good until I pulled it. It was in very poor shape. NASTY and must have been leaking for a long while. The coolant would bubble with the cap off.

The new radiator - pump - thermostat works great, no bubbles. I was worried about a head gasket or intake gasket. It still wont maintain high coolant level.

It wont pull in coolant from the overflow. I check the hose and the coolant moves freely. I even cut the hose back a half inch and clamped it on the radiator for a good seal.

I did a block test but the AutoZone gave me a used bottle of test fluid with barely enough in it so it was inconclusive. The test looked good but fluid got into it and I didn't have enough to retest. I may do another test if I have time.

When I check the coolant its always a liter or so down. Car doesn't overheat and runs great otherwise. Engine has 186,000.

Any Ideas?
baron1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: 2003 Caravan 3.3L Coolant level

if your radiator cap if bad or weak it won't hold a vacuum to pull coolant back out of the overflow bottle. also if the overflow hose has a small pinhole in it, it won't pull the water back into the radiator
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
baron1701
AF Regular

Re: 2003 Caravan 3.3L Coolant level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvett69 View Post
if your radiator cap if bad or weak it won't hold a vacuum to pull coolant back out of the overflow bottle. also if the overflow hose has a small pinhole in it, it won't pull the water back into the radiator
I have done the cap, twice but I have not replaced the tube.
I will try that and see how it goes. Thank you : )
baron1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager