Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
DanM19
AF Newbie

Caravan started by itself

Hi. I have a 2007 Dodge Caravan which as far as I know does not have an auto start. However, when I went outside the other morning I found the car already running in the driveway, with the doors locked. When I opened the door and got in, I could not get the car out of Park. I then realized that the emergency brake was on, and when I released it, the car turned off. I was able to start the car with the key after that and drive it normally, and this issue has not recurred in the past 2 or 3 days. Has anyone ever seen anything like this happen before or have any ideas on what could be going on? Thanks!
DanM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Caravan started by itself

Wow... I've seen electrical issues in caravans many a time, but this is a new one. I'm not sure whether you need a mechanic or an exorcist!
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCStig For This Useful Post:
DanM19 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Are you the original owner? I'm going to be if you check the VIN with a Dodge dealer you will find out it has a remote start from the factory. Either that or someone had an aftermarket one installed at one time or another. Aftermarket ones are know for being wonky and doing crazy stuff. Installed one in my mom's car several years ago and it worked great for about a year then started freaking out and "taking over" the car.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
DanM19
AF Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I'm not the original owner so it's possible the one previous owner of the car had one installed (or maybe it came with one factory installed). But the key remote I have only has 3 buttons (lock, unlock, and panic), so I'm not sure how I could have even activated it. I guess my main concern was could it happen again. And is it possible the car could even turn off by itself when driving it?
DanM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Its probably aftermarket. Most of the factory installed ones don't seem to have the bugs of aftermarket units.

I don't think you'll ever have the car shut off by itself by fault of the remote starter, but one of the issues my mom experienced was the car stopped responded to throttle inputs on two occasions until she pulled over, shut the car off and restarted it. Once we removed the unit all bugs went away and never came back.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager