Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > XK | XKR | XXR-S
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
MurphyMax
AF Newbie

2001 XK8 Roof Latch Oil Hose Leak

The automatic roof latch, located inside the upper windshield frame, started leaking thin green oil as I attempted to lower the top. What a mess! Needless to say, this was shocking since my XK8 is a low mileage pampered car with only 32,000 miles on it. Yes, I do lower the top as often as I can, but jeez! The latch ought to last the lifetime of the car. I've been an engineer in the automotive industry for a long time and any major malfuntion below 100,000 miles is considered a design failure (i.e., not 'wear and tear').

Anyway, the dealer replaced the hydraulic hoses front to back, and the latch mechanism, all under my extended warranty ($0 cost to me). It's been working just fine since, but I'm a little paranoid now. This repair would've cost me a bundle if I had to pay for it.

My major concern is whether this hydraulic latch failure is common or if this is a fluke. If it's common, then can I expect this to leak again in a few years (next time at my expense)?

Also, are there any other ticking 'time bombs' in this car that I should know about now? If I am aware, I can perhaps fool my dealer to repairing common 'malfunctions' before they happen. Does that make me such a bad person? LOL
MurphyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
mikes2006
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 XK8 Roof Latch Oil Hose Leak

I have the same exact problem. I have an xk8 with 50,000 miles. Yesterday when I tried to put the top down it started leaking green oil all over the place. I am not lucky like you. My warrenty expired. I didn't take my car to the dealer yet. How much do you think will cost me to fix it?
mikes2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
JAGGEDXKR
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2001 XK8 Roof Latch Oil Hose Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyMax
The automatic roof latch, located inside the upper windshield frame, started leaking thin green oil as I attempted to lower the top. What a mess! Needless to say, this was shocking since my XK8 is a low mileage pampered car with only 32,000 miles on it. Yes, I do lower the top as often as I can, but jeez! The latch ought to last the lifetime of the car. I've been an engineer in the automotive industry for a long time and any major malfuntion below 100,000 miles is considered a design failure (i.e., not 'wear and tear').

Anyway, the dealer replaced the hydraulic hoses front to back, and the latch mechanism, all under my extended warranty ($0 cost to me). It's been working just fine since, but I'm a little paranoid now. This repair would've cost me a bundle if I had to pay for it.

My major concern is whether this hydraulic latch failure is common or if this is a fluke. If it's common, then can I expect this to leak again in a few years (next time at my expense)?

Also, are there any other ticking 'time bombs' in this car that I should know about now? If I am aware, I can perhaps fool my dealer to repairing common 'malfunctions' before they happen. Does that make me such a bad person? LOL

How ironic!! My wifes 2001/35,000 mile xkr suddenly has the exact same problem.If you could Please let me know of the exact cause as I would rather not replace all the possible causes.Thanks in advance
JAGGEDXKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
mikes2006
AF Newbie

I had to replace 2 broken hoses that go all the way from the front of the car to the bak. Cost me about 2k.
mikes2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
JAGGEDXKR
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: 2001 XK8 Roof Latch Oil Hose Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2006
I had to replace 2 broken hoses that go all the way from the front of the car to the bak. Cost me about 2k.

Thank you,for the response.I am not looking forward to getting this repair on a car this little used from new condition.$2000.00!! I wonder what the dealer says?Seems as though they would be embarrASSed to have to fix such a preventable problem.Hopefully Jaguar will learn from their mistakes in a quick way or they will be gone forever.

I wonder has any one else with this car experienced gas odors inside the cabin? as our car has been experiencing on occassion
JAGGEDXKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
char2003
AF Newbie

WOW seems very common , its been cold here finally a nice day couldnt wait to bring the top down , and yes all this green stuff dripping everywhere and the roof doesnt open , so i was doing some research and i saw these bloggs , i just ran out of warrenty but i have found a great warrenty to cover me for 7 yrs thr chrysler so im gonna do that , you have to with owning a jag !!! my jag is 2006 and it has get this 25,600 mls on it , and i have takin it in a few times with differant stuff that has gone wrong, but that is when i had warrenty!LOVE MY CAR BUT THEY ARE WAY TO SENSITIVE !
char2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
MarcusP
AF Newbie

Wow. The exact thing just happened to me. Green, corrosive oil was everywhere in the interior. I have a 2002 XK8 with 32,000 miles on it. Pristine and pampered condition...first owner was also the owner of the only Jag dealership in OKC. I also purchased the Chrysler extended warranty, and found out today they've rejected the warranty claim...again. Chrysler says it would only be approved if it had been the convertable top motor that had failed. I was stunned this happened, as this is a failure that just shouldn't be expected until well past 100,000 miles. One note, the tech, who has credibility with me, said if you don't get the oil completely off things around and UNDER the console, the corrosive nature of the oil will continue to ruin other components. He also agreed this is a really big and embarrasing problem for Jaguar. I'm awaiting a phone call on the costs to get everything back to normal; and expect the bill to be high. This may be the straw that broke the camel's back for us. I love the car, but too many things have catastrophically failed on it in the last two years that shouldn't have; and it's amazing how they're never anything covered under an extended warranty that's supposed to be the best around. Of course, then next guy may have a problem-free car...since I feel I've replaced everything. Maintaining a car to a high standard shouldn't bankrupt you.
MarcusP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > XK | XKR | XXR-S