Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
34Ford
AF Newbie

Dual climate control blowing heat on AC (DCCV removal instructions in post #107)

Well Im back with a new problem.

If you set the AC to a set temp and after a while you decide its too cold and change the temp up a little or a lot, the drivers side will start blowing hot air.

But the passenger side stays cold.

So I have to leave the temp set and change the fan speed to keep this from happening.

Any ideas?
2010 Taurus Limited
34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Dual climate control blowing heat on AC

Sounds like you have a blend door motor that may not be functioning properly. Have you run the climate control self diagnostics? If you've never done this, it may be posted on the forum (perform a search) or I'll try to round up the procedure tonight from the service manual.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
grahamcc (01-01-2013)
Old 07-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Per the factory service manual, below are the steps to pull diagnostic codes from the HVAC system:
Front Panel DATC Module Self-Test (On-demand Diagnostic Trouble Codes—DTCs)
On-demand DTCs are those that are reported by an ECU when a failure is detected while executing a diagnostic test. For the DATC module this means that all faults (hard) that occur while the module is conducting a self-test shall be reported as an on-demand DTC.
  • The DATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages such as engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. The scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The vehicle interior temperature should be between 0-32°C (32-90°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false temperature sensor DTCs may be displayed.
The DATC module self-test through the front panel display:
  • can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • is entered by pressing the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then pressing the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show counts of 1 to 25 in the center of the display window. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • concludes by reporting all on-demand DTCs. Follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION in the DTC index for each DTC given.
  • reports individual on-demand DTCs as four-digit DTCs (less the alpha character).
  • will calibrate all the mode doors and check all analog inputs. The DATC module will only report on-demand (hard) faults that occurred while the DATC module was conducting its self-test.
  • will light all control panel display segments if no faults are detected.
  • will report individual on-demand DTCs without the °C symbol lit.
To exit the self-test, press any button. This will clear all on-demand codes from the DATC module memory. If no button is pushed DTCs will continue to be displayed.
Upon exit from the self-test the DATC module returns to operational status. The DATC module executes a hard (cold boot) reset which places the DATC system in the OFF mode.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
Front Panel DATC Module Display—Retrieve Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)
Continuous DTCs are fault codes recorded by the DATC module which have occurred during normal operation. For the DATC module this means that all faults (intermittent or hard) that occur while the module is in an operational state shall be reported as a continuous DTC.
  • To retrieve continuous DTCs, press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously, followed by pressing the AUTO button within two seconds.
  • The DATC module will report all continuous DTCs to the vacuum fluorescent (VF) display.
  • The DATC module will not carry out a self-test; it will only display continuous faults codes which are stored in memory.
  • All VF display segments will light if no faults are detected.
  • Individual continuous DTCs will be reported with the °C symbol lit.
  • DTCs shall be reported as a four-digit DTC (less the alpha character).
  • Pressing the front defrost button will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and clear all continuous DTCs from DATC module memory.
  • Pressing any other button (other than DEFROST) will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and maintain all continuous DTCs in DATC module memory.
  • Upon exit from the retrieve continuous DTCs mode the DATC module returns to operational status. The DATC module executes a hard (cold boot) reset which places the DATC system in the OFF mode.
If the procedures above yield any codes, post back and I'll give you the description for the code.

-Rod
Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
34Ford
AF Newbie

Rod,

Your the greatest. I will print this out and give it a try.
2010 Taurus Limited
34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
kcobra
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod
Per the factory service manual, below are the steps to pull diagnostic codes from the HVAC system:
Front Panel DATC Module Self-Test (On-demand Diagnostic Trouble Codes—DTCs)
On-demand DTCs are those that are reported by an ECU when a failure is detected while executing a diagnostic test. For the DATC module this means that all faults (hard) that occur while the module is conducting a self-test shall be reported as an on-demand DTC.
  • The DATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages such as engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. The scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The vehicle interior temperature should be between 0-32°C (32-90°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false temperature sensor DTCs may be displayed.
The DATC module self-test through the front panel display:
  • can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • is entered by pressing the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then pressing the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show counts of 1 to 25 in the center of the display window. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • concludes by reporting all on-demand DTCs. Follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION in the DTC index for each DTC given.
  • reports individual on-demand DTCs as four-digit DTCs (less the alpha character).
  • will calibrate all the mode doors and check all analog inputs. The DATC module will only report on-demand (hard) faults that occurred while the DATC module was conducting its self-test.
  • will light all control panel display segments if no faults are detected.
  • will report individual on-demand DTCs without the °C symbol lit.
To exit the self-test, press any button. This will clear all on-demand codes from the DATC module memory. If no button is pushed DTCs will continue to be displayed.
Upon exit from the self-test the DATC module returns to operational status. The DATC module executes a hard (cold boot) reset which places the DATC system in the OFF mode.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
Front Panel DATC Module Display—Retrieve Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)
Continuous DTCs are fault codes recorded by the DATC module which have occurred during normal operation. For the DATC module this means that all faults (intermittent or hard) that occur while the module is in an operational state shall be reported as a continuous DTC.
  • To retrieve continuous DTCs, press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously, followed by pressing the AUTO button within two seconds.
  • The DATC module will report all continuous DTCs to the vacuum fluorescent (VF) display.
  • The DATC module will not carry out a self-test; it will only display continuous faults codes which are stored in memory.
  • All VF display segments will light if no faults are detected.
  • Individual continuous DTCs will be reported with the °C symbol lit.
  • DTCs shall be reported as a four-digit DTC (less the alpha character).
  • Pressing the front defrost button will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and clear all continuous DTCs from DATC module memory.
  • Pressing any other button (other than DEFROST) will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and maintain all continuous DTCs in DATC module memory.
  • Upon exit from the retrieve continuous DTCs mode the DATC module returns to operational status. The DATC module executes a hard (cold boot) reset which places the DATC system in the OFF mode.
If the procedures above yield any codes, post back and I'll give you the description for the code.

-Rod
I tried this procedure due to my own problems and it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong. I press the off and combo panel, floor, vent, button and then the auto button. Nothing happens except it goes into auto.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

What year LS are you trying this procedure on? Are you following the steps precisely? Read the first step again. What you typed you're doing does not agree with step 1 for either of the procedures.

-Rod
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

There's a electronic control hot water pump for Dual climate controls.
1) When the car is at normal operating cond,turn off Car engine.
2) Turn on Ignition switch to the on pos,this will activate the pump,so you can
have heat in car while Eng is off.
3) This will force the hot water through the Dual climate control solenoid.
4) Check Anti-freeze level! (Air-pockets)
5) If your still having Tbl ,it could be the Dual climate control solenoid.

I had to take mine apart and cleaned with WD40.

** It's a good ideal to exercise this switch during the summer months.

Note: Running this electric pump is a good way of working out air pockets
during radiator flush treatments.

Last edited by danielsatur; 07-23-2011 at 02:41 PM.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danielsatur For This Useful Post:
bpoolson (05-25-2015)
Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
kcobra
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod
What year LS are you trying this procedure on? Are you following the steps precisely? Read the first step again. What you typed you're doing does not agree with step 1 for either of the procedures.

-Rod
It's a 2004. There is no floor button or panel button. It is one button you press to get different controls. You press once, it's def, you press again, it's panel, again floor, again, panel and floor. ETC Something like that but no seperate buttons for floor, panel and def. I'm not missing any procedure. I tried it over and over.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
shorod
SHO No Mo

So you have the climate controlled seats. You tried turning the controller off, then simultaneously pressing both the Off and Ventilation switches, releasing and quickly pressing Auto? I don't know if starting with the unit off will help or not.

I don't have the manual for 2004, the procedure above is for 34Ford's 2001.

-Rod
Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
clubairth
AF Newbie

The problem is the self test feature is different for the 2003-2006 LS cars with the heated/cooled seats. I went thru hell to find it and finally took it to the dealer only to find out they did not know either!! So the mechanic called the hot line and got the correct instructions.

Ignition needs to be on. Car can be running or not. Push the OFF and the DEFROST buttons at the same time. Then press the AUTO button. You are now in self test mode. Let it run and you should get all 8's and every light segment lighted if everything is good. Otherwise write down the numbers displayed. The trouble codes are listed in the Helm shop manual. Push any button to end the test.

You might want to save a copy of this. IT IS NOT IN THE HELM MANUAL!!! All of Ford/Lincoln service materials are wrong or don't even mention the differences.
clubairth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
kcobra
AF Newbie

Now that is some great info. Thanks. Everything works fine now but maybe for future reference.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
tkswan
AF Regular

a quick workaround that seemes to work when the AC is blowing cold and hot air.

hit auto, turn the temp all the way up to make it blow heat then turn the temp back down to cold. hit auto.

sounds goofy but it has worked several times for me.

Last edited by tkswan; 06-15-2008 at 01:36 PM.
tkswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
ladylincoln
AF Newbie

Shorod
I'm not sure that I'm asking this question in the right place where you would get it, but here goes.

I notice you recommend pulling the DTC's from the AC on the Lincoln LS. I've done that with my car but I need to know the description of the error. It is reading 12 61.

Can you help?
ladylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
shorod
SHO No Mo

The code 12 61 designates A/C solar radiation sensor circuit short to ground. The solar radiation sensor is the little dark bulb on the top of the dash board.

-Rod
Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
ladylincoln
AF Newbie

I replaced the air temp sensor. Now I am getting the following codes: 12 59 and 50 41. What are these?

Thanks
ladylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote