Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
balls_to_the_wall
AF Enthusiast

Question on Setting my Gains....(Profile HA1000)

Ok, I now have 2 RE 12's in a ported box tuned to 32hz. My current amp (500W Sony Xplod running at 2ohms) is getting tosed in the closet and being replaced with a new Profile HA1000, I know, I know, the amp is orobably to big for my subs. It is rated at 240x2 (and my subs are 175rms) So I was wondering if someone could do a quick rundown on how to set the gains on it. I have already looked at the tutorial on www.caraudio.com that JL made, and I was doing some thinking. On setting the voltage, for the 240x2=21.909, 220x2=20.976. For 175x2=17.708 and for 165x2=18.166. Ok, with these numbers...what should I set it at? Also, does the other controls, example bass boost (if i use it....) does this affect if the signal clips or not......Ok, Yes, I know the amp is to big................Thanks for your help

Later

-Ryan
balls_to_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77
Re: Question on Setting my Gains....(Profile HA1000)

Actually the amp is not too big RE12's are good from 250-300watts RE like to underrate things. Wire the subs in paralell series combination and bridge the amp. Don't use bass boost. Put late night tip in w/ the gains all the way down and turn ur HU up to what you normally listen to it on. watch the subs and slowly turn up the gains...you'll notice that ass the bass hits on LNT the subs will increase and decrease in movement on the top and bottom of the three low notes. you'll see what I mean when you get it going. Now you can turn your amp up until the fluctuations in the bass isn't there....the subs will still do a funny slow in and out thing but the fluctuations in the bass won't be there....... you'll see what I'm talking about to go to do it....... when it reaches this point the gains are too high set them right to where this starts..... LNT has a pretty hardcore bassline and I don't know of many songs (test tones will do it) that will cause clipping. You'll be okay at this point cuz a little bit of clipping won't hurt your subs. When I'm tryin to impress a bass head who doesn't know the difference between clean and distortes bass the levels on my Hu bass goes on max and the sub out gain oes on max...... doesn't hurt a thing just sounds like shit.... you won't wanna do this since your over the RMS of your subs...... Ohh and in case u didn't know RE coild can thermally handle 600.
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
balls_to_the_wall
AF Enthusiast

So let me get this right, I wire both subs toghether so the amp sees a 4 ohm load, then I bridge it?....And although RE rates the RE subs at 175rms, they can handle a hell of alot more?

Thanks alot

-Ryan
balls_to_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio