Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
tkswan
AF Regular

Control arm steering knuckle

2002 Lincoln LS V8 248k miles.

The OEM transmission finally quit so I had a certified transmission installed. A Ford dealership did the work. The new transmission is a beast. So much so that I think the original was a dud.

So these cars are notorious for front end noise and knocking, but recently it got worse. I replaced the bearings because I needed bearings anyway, one was howling. The noise (specifically the front left wheel) was still noisy lots of knocking.

I took it to my car guy. He actually installed new front left and right side upper and lower control arms a couple of years ago. Today he right away saw that the left control arm is loose and too damaged to be repaired. So I need a new left steering knuckle and upper control arm.

Car guy asked me if I had any work done. I told him about the transmission and he suspects that Ford did not re tighten that control arm bolt.

And my question is:

...when installing a transmission in this car, does the procedure require that the control arms or any other suspension parts, get removed or messed with?

Thank you.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Control arm steering knuckle

Per the factory service manual, no suspension components front or rear need to be removed to remove and replace the transmission.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ