Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #16
cryppie
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Nissan Altima idle problems

Thanks for all the help, nissandoc, but it didn't quite work for me, either. I got the flashing then steady MIL, but it didn't go out after 3-4 minutes. How long should I wait with the throttle down (engine is not running..)? Or do I release the accelerator wihtin 3 sec after the MIL goes steady after blinking? I have a stick shift, with the clutch in while doing your sequence. Is that right for the manual trans?
Also, I have been having hesitation once about 3-5 minutes after I move out after restart/start. Every time. Then runs fine. Checked other forums and seemed that maybe I needed new plugs and PCV (117K miles, never tuned up). Changed them and now the car surges 300-400 RPM at idle, cycling up for about 5 seconds, then down for 15 seconds...
Thanks for any help.
cryppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
rwdbmwm3
AF Newbie

HEY NISSAN DOC, CAN I GET SOME HELP PLEASE!
04 Altima, P0507, Tried changing Idler Controller on TB and did the"throttle valve closed position learn"
actually... my MIL did not go off either, it went steady and then didnt do anything
rwdbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #18
vmarnat
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shab_xp
Hi Nissandoc,

When you said 'turn ignition on', you did not mean crank up the engine right?

When I tried with the engine off, the MIL is not blinking. Did I miss something?

Thanks.
Hi I have 2005 Altima and same problem - I do the procedure on a list but get stuck where I have to wait 7 seconds. it blinks after that about 7 seconds and then tha MIL is on and doesnt turn off no matter how long i hold acc down. Please help what to do

Thank you
vmarnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
ashtonad
AF Newbie

This problem was driving me crazy, too, and I finally got it fixed. For free. At home.
Here's the procedure I found at another forum with some extra info (in red). It didn't work the first time through, so I started over at Step 1. Then it worked. The MIL - or Service Engine Soon (SES) -- didn't stop blinking and go out for me - it stayed on steady. So when it stops blinking - whether it stays off or on - just stops blinking, then make sure that within the next 3 seconds you fully release the accelerator and start your engine. Do NOT turn the ignition off and then back on - just crank the rest of the way. Let it run with the accelerator pedal released and after a little bit the idle will go down. You'll still have to clear the code. But I cleared it 10 days ago on my car and it's still not back on and idling low. I had to deal with this for the past 3 years so I understand how aggravating it can be. Also, use a stopwatch or timer (my kitchen timer doesn't show seconds, but the flashing dots between hour and minute flash at exactly one second. That's what I used) or digital watch to check time. When he says, "at least" give an extra second or two. When "exactly," do it at exactly that amount of time. It works! Here's the solution I found:
  1. ENGINE COLD
  2. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
  3. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
  4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
  5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
  6. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
  7. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
  8. WAIT over 10 seconds before this next step.
  9. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
  10. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
  11. Turn ignition switch “ON”. WAIT EXACTLY ONE SECOND SHARP. Turn ignition switch “OFF”
  12. THEN wait at least 10 seconds.
  13. Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound. - Very hard to hear anything at all. Just believe this is happening by faith.
Now, here's the big change
  1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
AND RIDE YOUR CAR FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES, this will make for correct operating temperatures to happen within the engine for the following steps. Warming your car in the garage in the morning aparently does not cut it.

Check that all items listed under the topic “PREPARATION” (previously mentioned) are in good order.
  1. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
  2. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
  3. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
  4. Fully depress the accelerator pedal. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
  5. Wait 7 seconds
  6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turns ON.
  7. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off. Start engine and let it idle. THE ENGINE MUST BE STARTED WITHIN THE 3 SECONDS AFTER IT STOPS BLINKING, THATS HOW THIS LIGHT GOES OFF. THE SERVICE MANUAL DOES NOT STATE THIS, BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE DIAGRAM WHERE THE ENGINE LINE ON-OFF IS, IT CLEARLY SHOWS YOU SHOULD TURN IT ON WITHIN THESE THREE SECONDS.
This is where your engine will start to learn the correct idle settings
  1. Wait 20 seconds.
  2. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
ashtonad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
joslander
AF Newbie

2006 altima , just clean trottel body with carb cleaner and tooth brush , now it idle , form 1000 to 2000 , i have treid the on , off ,, hit pedal 5 times in 5 sec etc ,, didnt work used timer and have tried twnty time with no luck ,,, need help please thanks joe
joslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #21
showtimesaltima
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: 2003 Nissan Altima idle problems

Hi how are you doing . I recently had my inspection done at some shop . My SES light was on and in order to past the guy said he had to correct the code something i shouldnt have never let these guys do. The light went away the car idle went down from 1200 rpm down to 1000 even but when i drove off my rpms were delaying from when i go 0 to 20 then a nother delay 0 to 37 another delay and the rpm hesistates, then when i got home after a half an hour of driving the SES light came on . i have the 4spd auto . its like the car is fighting it ,so you feel a slight hesitation at 20mph then another one at 37mph sometime hesitation at high speed . I replace the throttle body back in sept i didnt have this problem. Should i let nissan just do a ecu relearn cause on the eve of thanksgiving this guy at nissan removed the SES light and the car idles correctly but when i drive 0 to 20 hesitation is still there . I also wanted to know at half of full throttle from 0 to 40mph is my car suppose to go 0rpm to 6000k rpms . i have watched alot of stock cars like mine 2003 altima se do 0 to 40 hit 6k rpms on youtube and my car shifts at 5k rpms at full throttle . please let me know thanks. im alix by the way
showtimesaltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #22
Tofiq
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandoc View Post
one other thing you can try is "throttle valve closed position learn". first make sure that engine and trans are at full operating temp, all electrical loads off and trans in park.

1. turn ignition off and wait at least 10 seconds.
2. accelerator pedal fully released, turn ignition on and wait 3 seconds.
3. fully depress and then release accel pedal 5 times within 5 seconds.
4. wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accel pedal and hold it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
5. fully release accel pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.

let me know how it goes.
Hi there, I have same problem. I followed your steps. MIL starts blinking but then goes solid. I also replaced throttle base but problem persists. Idle revs up and down. I did battery terminal reset, I also cleaned Mass air flow sensor. Any other suggestion. Thanks
Tofiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
expansion
AF Newbie

I also have same problem. And I followed your steps. The Service Engine Soon light stays solid, never blinks then clears when engine is running. I also replaced throttle body but problem got worse. Idle revs up and down is more pronounced. I removed battery terminals and let it sit overnight. I also cleaned the mass air flow sensor. More suggestion please.
expansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #24
settjes
AF Newbie

Post Re: 2003 Nissan Altima idle problems

This is copied from manual for the I35 (2002 - 2004) which is probably applicable to some Nissan vehicles.

NOTE:
I It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
I It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an
accelerator pedal position sensor circuit has a malfunction.
NOTE:
Before perform “Idle Air Volume Learning”, make sure that “Accelerator
Pedal Released Position Learning” and “Throttle Valve
Closed Position Learning” are completed.
If not, perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”,
EC-71 and “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”, EC-71.
1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2. Check that all items listed under the topic “PRE-CONDITIONING”
(previously mentioned) are in good order.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition
switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
5. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
1) Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
2) Fully release the accelerator pedal.
6. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep
it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL goes off.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the
MIL goes off.
8. Start engine and let it idle.
9. Wait 20 seconds.
SEC897C
10. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle
speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
ITEM SPECIFICATION
Idle speed 675±50 rpm (in “P” or “N” position)
Ignition timing 15±5° BTDC (in “P” or “N” position)

Attached Files
File Type: doc ICV Learning I35.doc (34.0 KB, 2 views)
settjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #25
ricksi30
AF Newbie

nissandoc

Just thought I'd say thank you for saving me a trip to the dealer and a couple hundred dollars!
ricksi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #26
Elizabe2th37
Banned

Thanks to everybody
Elizabe2th37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #27
Leslie508
AF Newbie

You Can Try The Same Procedure As Described Above To Set The Iavl.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima