Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '83 - '90
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:42 AM   #1
CWick86
AF Newbie

86 jetta reverse problem and more

my 86 jetta will go into reverse but after about 10 feet or so it pops out into neutral again. Also it is very difficult to distinguish between 1st and reverse because it isn't necessary to push down the shifter to get in reverse. I didn't know weather this could be a linkage or transaxle problem ... chilton let me down in this one or i'm an idiot. I've already checked the little plastic separator at the base of the shifter at it seemed fine. Also two of my power windows will not role down, a rear one will not work from either control.
CWick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
jammyjim
AF Newbie

Re: 86 jetta reverse problem and more

You probably have sloppy linkages. Have you tried to hold in reverse? If you can hold it there with out problems, then you have a linkage problem. As for the reverse lockout, those things never work right. Try pulling up on the shifter when you go into first. After time, the lever will settle and won't spring all the way back up.
jammyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
BrantDavis
AF Newbie

Re: 86 jetta reverse problem and more

JAMMYJIM! i'm having the same problem with my 85 jetta and was about to take a friend's advice and change the clutch before i read this. what if when you hold it in reverse like you said and it jerks and bangs wildly? what could be causing this?
BrantDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '83 - '90