Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Interior | Audio | Security
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Interior | Audio | Security Tech forum to assist in Honda/Acura Interior, Audio and Security.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
drunkenmonkey79
AF Newbie

Exclamation 2003 accord center console lights out HELPPPP

The lights on my stereo/center console just went out one morning and never came back on. It looks like the back light went out, b/c the lights for the display and other things that have a back light are not on anymore, but the LEDs are working. You can see the numbers on the display very faintly in the day time.

Has any had experience with this before? Specifically with the 2003 accord?

Any advice on where to take the car to have it checked out? I know that the dealership will probably cost me a bunch of money, any other car eletrical system shops anyone can recommend?

Thanks
drunkenmonkey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
Adfumbler
AF Newbie

2003 Accord center console lights out

Welcome to the club. This problem happened to me at 20,000 miles, and now again, at 42,000. I am waiting for another replacement radio.

Officially, Honda is aware of this problem, and it seems to be widespread. They even have a technical service bulletin: 04-027

They claim that the only solution is to replace the entire unit. I wish someone with technical knowledge would tell me what EXACTLY is going wrong with these units (such as bad LED, bad power supply, etc...)

Andy
Adfumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
drunkenmonkey79
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info. Where can I access the "technical service bulletin: 04-027"?

Did honda replace it for you for free? Or did you have to pay for that out of pocket?

Man this really blows.
drunkenmonkey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
Adfumbler
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 accord center console lights out HELPPPP

[quote=drunkenmonkey79]Thanks for the info. Where can I access the "technical service bulletin: 04-027"?

Did honda replace it for you for free? Or did you have to pay for that out of pocket?

Man this really blows
================================================== ====
A nice service manager was kind enough to print it out for me. He was the one that volunteered the info. The man's name is Bill, at the Honda dealership in Newburgh, New York. Unfortunately, I was only passing through the area, so I normally don't go to that location.

Honda did replace the radio a year ago without charge. Still, they made me wait several weeks, claiming the radio was on "back order"

Now, on year later, it happened again. I've been without a display for two weeks, and South Shore Honda of Valley Stream, NY still did not get the unit in.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
CJSNC1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 accord center console lights out HELPPPP

This just happened to me about a month ago at about 46,000 miles.

Since about 12,000 miles, the backlight would flicker and the audio would occasionally drop out (like when you are talking to someone on a bad cell connection). It seemed to happen on long trips (2-3 hours into my trek from Raleigh to Washington, DC.), with the volume at about 30, and on reflection, I realized it seemed to happen when it was winter time and my driver's seat warmer was on. I would eject the CD to see if it were scratched. Nothing, except it was really hot. (No error message, but the face plate was hot too.)

I took it in to Leith Honda in Raleigh, NC, at about 15,000 miles, and told them to check it out. I related the symptoms and specifically told them to let the car run for an hour or three in the corner with the volume at about 30. They said they couldn't duplicate it. But I didn't realize until later, that they never typed the problem or their attempted soution into their computer. (Chronic problem for them - same thing happened with my seat tracking.)

I told them again, right before warranty expired at 35,000 miles. This time they wrote down the fade out problem, but not the LCD symptom. Same response - could not duplicate.

I have a call into Honda America. Regional Service Manager was supposed to call me back a week ago.

Anyone got any other experience or suggestions? I am really frustrated about this, but glad to hear it is not just me.

Thanks.
CJSNC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:55 AM   #6
Adfumbler
AF Newbie

There is a technical service bulletin that covers the radio display going dark: 04-027

I don't think that any audio problem is addressed in that service bulletin.

To be honest, when my displays have gone dark, the audio remained perfect. Anyway, if your issue is covered with service bulletin 04-027, then Honda will honour your warranty under "goodwill", even if your mileage is over 36,000.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
turbcivic
AF Enthusiast

Coming from a honda tech that has replaced them, yes we do warrenty the hell out of them and yes they can gop on backorder. S/B 04-027 deal with the HVAC being dim or dark. I don't know what excalty goes wrong with the radios, but it is a chronic problem with the headunits. Same thing goes for the v-6 trans.
turbcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
gator-28
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gator-28 Send a message via Yahoo to gator-28
This just happened on my 2003 accord EX V6 at 37000 miles. The dealer said it will cost $500 for a new headunit. And, the warranty will not cover this. I have searched the web for SB 04-027 and cannot find it. I would like to see the "goodwill" coverage that Adfumbler discusses. Any ideas?
gator-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
Adfumbler
AF Newbie

Forget looking on the web, go straight to the Honda service manager and ask him to print out sb 04-027. They know exactly what this is! If they deny it, they are lying to your face. This is a chronic problem, and virtually every single Honda employee is aware of this issue.

If they still deny you goodwill coverage, demand to speak with a service zone representative. You should NOT have to pay one cent for a chronic defect.

================================================== ====
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator-28
This just happened on my 2003 accord EX V6 at 37000 miles. The dealer said it will cost $500 for a new headunit. And, the warranty will not cover this. I have searched the web for SB 04-027 and cannot find it. I would like to see the "goodwill" coverage that Adfumbler discusses. Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
gator-28
AF Newbie

Thanks Adfumbler. I will keep you guys posted of my battle with the dealership.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
slowthunderbird
AF Newbie

Talking OMG Honda Sucks!!

Dude, That right there is an indication of how crappy foreign cars are, and if it's a 2003 shouldn't there be a warranty on it? (or are you a second time owner?) Just face it, you need to suck in your foreign car pride, and buy a FORD!!! Now Honda's are good for show and to mount 100 amps and subs (just a joke, Dont Try it you'll get hurt) in but thats only after (what you probably Need) A Complete Rewire!!
slowthunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
gator-28
AF Newbie

Took my car to the dealer today. They said that they are going to submit the head-unit to Honda for the good-will coverage. The service manager says he doesn't think it should be a problem getting it covered.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:41 AM   #13
gator-28
AF Newbie

The dealer replaced the head-unit free of charge yesterday. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
actctjrpsa
AF Newbie

The display light on my radio was not working I had mine replaced at Avery Greene Honda in Vallejo, Ca at 61,929 miles for free just recently. But now the radio display was repaired but they missed up my CD player, they said would cost me $375 to repair the CD, wherein when I took the car for the repair of the radio, the CD player was working
actctjrpsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
shoaibc
AF Newbie

God bless you guys! I had this problem with my out of warranty Honda 2004 Accord. I went to the Rt. 23 Honda Dealership in Pompton Plains NJ. I told them that I am here for the repair on my lights out on the center console. I printed and took this http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...tachmentid=673 service recall letter with me. The service manager had me sign off on $100 diagonstic fee (which he said will be waived if it is covered under the recall). Half an hour later, the technican came to me and said my car is covered with 55K miles and 2004 model. He has ordered the part and I will go next week to get the pcv changed.

THank you guys! this discussion was very helpful!

Regards!
shoaibc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Interior | Audio | Security