Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #16
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

Re: 02 ram stalls shortly after fuel cap is opened

and the 0351 code has not come back.
sdillon030976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

don't have a clue why but the engine light is flashing 12 times then stays on.. no codes
Old 08-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #18
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #19
bellaCuba
AF Regular

On the Pre OBDII vehicles, 95 and earlier. 12 flashes or code 12 meant: Battery disconnect. Battery input to PCM disconnected during last 50 key starts.

Is it possible it means the same on OBDII vehicles? Time to start counting starts? lol

On a side note, I would also check for Pending codes. Just because there are no tripped codes or hard codes, doesn't mean there aren't any pending ones.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #20
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

I'm trying to get thru all the advice.. replace the iac and tps. no change. I don't have the cash for a battery right now so as soon as I can ill get it replaced.. the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the ignition switch. its cheaper than battery do yall think its a possibility? there are no vacuum issues that I can find.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #21
bellaCuba
AF Regular

If the vehicle cranks... and radio and accessories work (which can only work if key is on), then I wouldn't pick up an ignition switch yet. Battery checks are for free at the local parts store. Don't spend $$ when you don't have to... I highly doubt the battery is the issue too, but if you can get it checked, why not? Before removing the battery, Check for PENDING codes.... Don't skip steps. I know it's frustrating, but you don't have the $$ to be throwing at it aimlessly either.
What code reader are you using BTW?

Have you gone through all your fuses and checked them with a meter? NOT by eye.
From the Battery, Make sure you have a good Body ground (somewhere on the frame or firewall) and a Block ground. Must be corrosion free & tight. Check any grounds you spot along the front by the radiator, sides (fender), & firewall... these are grounds BESIDES the main battery cable.

I really think it's something silly, so we're going to double check all the little things. KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid! Not that I'm calling you that...just a saying
Old 08-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #22
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

I believe its the ecm. it no longer communicates with my plug in scanner.. all but one grounds are clean.. will be having my battery tested this week. if it jumped time it wouldn't have cranked and ran ten minutes before right?
Old 08-14-2016, 10:11 PM   #23
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Verify that all your fuses are still good, that none are blown. Use a meter. If all the fuses check out good & still can't communicate then we can take another course of action, not necessarily ECM still.

If it jumped time, if could have run, but very poorly, and if it jumped a tooth or 2 only. It still would communicate with the scanner too. Don't jump the gun assuming things yet. Remember to Keep It Simple.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #24
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

all fuses are good. and after I changed the spark plugs it cranked and ran normal for around ten minutes.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #25
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Ok... at the DLC check for the basics (12v, good ground)
If you have a good electrical schematic for your truck, even better. Can even use the $20. common Haynes manual from the chain part stores. I have a pinout for the DLC to PCM, but I'm not sure if it's your truck specific. Here's the link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2m2rd8712...17.52.jpg?dl=0

Also, how did you check the fuses? With a meter only? I can't tell you how many times I saw what looked to be a good fuse, but somehow the tabs were corroded not making contact in their slot. Especially verify those that have to do with PCM. Can even make sure PCM connections are dry. Unplug & inspect. Sometimes leaks can be wicked to other locations.

Last edited by bellaCuba; 08-15-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Adding info
bellaCuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #26
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

I checked with a meter. Ill have to go out after the rain to pull all and check for corrosion. I pulled all the ones that have the see thru cover and tested with meter. all plugs on ecm look clean and are firmly connected.. the battery in it needs to be charged from trying to crank after everything has been tried.. I will be taking it Wednesday to get it tested. and if it fails I will purchase a new one.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #27
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Good, good. Checking the battery is also a great idea. Many Chrylser/Dodge/Plymouths can be quite finicky when the battery is on the way out. Usually you'll have other issues like dummy lights going off & on or flickers, gauges fluctuating... but not always.

I also forgot to ask, has anything else acted up since all the issues started? Like the radio, accessories, anything else you can think of? The PCMs on these are all looped together... a failing head unit can contribute to failed PCM communications... newer stuff & their "networks" are such a PITA!
Old 08-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #28
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

no other issues, after all this started I replace the resistor that controls the speeds of the blower, but it was confirmed bad, it was burnt like the common resistor problems with these truck.. the pcm will show on dash a code like the P0351 but my scanner wont see it. but I can watch live data like rpms cause I thought maybe I got a bad out the box crankshaft position sensor. but at this time there is no codes. I read on another forum that pcm was the problem..
Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #29
bellaCuba
AF Regular

ahhh... yes, I'm now leaning that way too. PCM. After reading your last post. Please post an update. I'd love to hear a happy ending after such a frustrating issue. Good luck with everything!! I meant to get back here earlier, but I was setback with work.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #30
sdillon030976
AF Newbie

oh I totally understand about the delays on timing of responses. thank you for your help. I'm going to take the battery today, and if it checks out I'm going to have to save up for a computer. everything has been replaced except map sensor, ignition switch and computer.. so if I get it back on the road I should get some awesome gas mileage for a bit..lol

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10