Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
stanley24538
AF Newbie

95 Explorer XL 4x4 problem

Hello all
The other day a friend of mine called me to come pull his 2wd ranger out of his muddy field so I took my wifes Explorer over to get him out. We hooked the tow strap up and I put the Explorer 4x4 auto. I started pulling him out but I was just spinning so I put it in 4x4 low and tried again. Still just spinning so I got my buddy to get out to watch to see if my front wheels were pulling and they weren't. I tried switching back and forth between 4x4 auto and low still 4x4 would not engage. The light on the dash said it was in 4x4 but it wasn't. I checked all the fuses connected to the 4x4 system and all were good. After getting both vehicles out in 2wd I was heading home not realizing I was still in 4x4 auto. after getting up to about 35 or 40 mph I started hearing and feeling a loud clunking noise from the front end. I switched back to 2wd and the noise stopped. As I said this is my wifes vehicle and with winter quickly approaching I need to get the 4x4 fixed for her. Does anyone have any Idea what the problem could be. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me.
stanley24538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
stanley24538
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Explorer XL 4x4 problem

Well I pulled the shifter motor off of the transfer case. I left the harness plugged into it and had someone turn the 4x4 switch while I watched the motor to see if it turned, It didn't. So I got a new shifter motor, plugged it in, did the same test and it didn't turn either. I checked all the fuses again and they were all good. After further investigation I found out that my back up lights and the overdrive off button on the shifter weren't working all of which are on the same fuse #26 15amp. I tested the fuse slot for voltage and it showed 12.5 volts. Does anyone know if there is a relay on this circuit, if not can anyone point me in the right direction to finding the problem. If all else fails, could I run a hot wire with a toggle switch to the shift motor to make it shift into 4wd. Once again thanks to anyone that can offer some advice.
stanley24538 is offline   Reply With Quote