Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 01:58 PM   #1
dohctor_yaj
AF Newbie

ATT: Skyline240 or anyone doing the RB swap or anyone having info on the RB swap...

alrite guys...*DAYM U GUYS GET ME FIRED UP GOOD* wow, i just got a sweet 90 240sx from a friend for $1000 last week and its in great shape...

now!, i've been reading around from post and web sites and stuff and I'm very excited in doing a RB swap...I have a few questions that i hope u guys can answer me...:

1.) Do I need custom mounts or do i just use the RB mounts? Does it practically drop in?

2.) Will i need a custome intake manifold like unstable-hybrid.com?

3.) I will only use the Rb tranny right?

4.) What are the advantages of the Rb20det over the rb25det?

The reason I ask is that i can find a Rb20 front clip for $1500 and Rb25 for $3000 and its double the cost and was wondering if the rb20 has as much potential as the Rb25...

this is for now...plz get back to me as you guys are driving me crazy!:flash:
dohctor_yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:12 PM   #2
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to J SPEC SilEighty
1. Your will need custom mounts to fit the RB into a 240SX chassis (untable-hybrids said that they will be releasing those custom mounts to the public for sale for the people that want to do the RB swap into a 240)

3. Yes you will use the RB tranny

4. I don't think there are really any advantages to the RB20DET over the RB25DET. Both of these motors have a crazy amount of potential. The RB25DET will probably be able to be modified to those higher HP numbers quicker than the RB20DET just because of the higher displacement of the RB25.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:49 AM   #3
Skyline240
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Skyline240
answer
1) depends you can get custom mounts also depends on which rb youre going with rb20 i think has the exact angle on the mounts and the engine has the sr the 25 and 26 are tottally different angles so youll need custom mounts. no way will it be a direct drop in. you dont need to go to unstable to buy the mounts just need to know basic geometry and know of a good machine shop in your area
2) you can have a custom one made but i think jun offers one that will work i think dont remember if it will or not
3) yes you will need to the 240 tranny maximum treshold is around 350 400 hp you can use it if you want but i wouldnt take the risk
4) jspec is right about the advantages, also the rb25 is a newer engine campared to the 20 aftermarket support esp. will be the hardest part.

finally any RB series engine has potential strong as hell bottom end also i dont trust unstable they want to much for then engine some arent even front clips just the engine so you could be missing some important wires also there info about torque arent accurate they say the sr has more torque the the rb20 ithats not true the sr has always been know for being a little weak in the torque department . if you got anymore questions im me at Lunitoons43 just dont spam me :finger:
Old 07-22-2002, 11:23 AM   #4
dohctor_yaj
AF Newbie

ssup guys...thanks for the replies...just a few things to think about..:

1.) since the rb26dett intake manifold is set up that the intercooler pimping goes straight down, do you think that it could swap with the rb25det or rb20det?

2.) Skyline240: you said that you need a good machine shop in the area, are you saying that you need this even after you have the custom mounts from unstable-hybrids.com? did you do yours yourself?

3.) Skyline240: what exactly did jspec say about the advantages of the rb25 over the rb20?

4.) when did unstable-hybrids say they were gonna release the mounts?

5.) do you guys know where i can get some wiring diagrams for the swap?

:flash: :smoker2: :frog: :smoka: <-- Getin Fukin Excited Hea!

oh one last thing skyline240, is your email or watever, what domain is it? is it at hotmail? yahoo? wat? or am i just comfusing myself?
Old 07-22-2002, 03:33 PM   #5
Skyline240
AF Regular

1 im not sure if it will work or not.
2 no if you know of a good machinst and a machin shops and now geometry to can make your own mounts ive never purchased anything though UH
3 he said that there really are no major advanatges therebasically the same engine just one has higher displacment they both have the ability to go in the 500+ range but i was saying it would be easier to get parts for the rb25 then the rb20
4 i dont know and dont care when there going to relaese their mounts
5 if you dont mind calling long distance like i did you can call nismo austrailia and ask to order the rb25 20 26 which ever you one want ask for the manual they each have the wiring diagrams also i have an enlarged copy somewhere ill look for it

my email is totally different from the name i gave you thats my aol instant messenger name
Old 07-22-2002, 06:53 PM   #6
dohctor_yaj
AF Newbie

hey skyline 240...how sure are you about the rb20 being almost exact geometry as the ka24?

I'm thinking that it would be too much of a hassel to have someone do the exact mounts for me...or is it??? i'm hoping that U-H.com will be selling their kits for under $500...

hell, if the rb20 and the rb25 have the same potentials then i'll just get the rb20...so would ANYONE out there strongly suggest screw the rb20 cus its a waste of time and just go with the rb25 to start out with...cus like i've said, i can find a rb20 for hell of a lot better deal then rb25...

and oh yeah skyline240, if you can find the diagrams that you bought from them, i'll give you some cash for it instead and make it as if we both paid for the same information...email me at tlyang@charter.net if you find it...

so if i was to email you, i would write to Lunitoons43@aol.com right? cus i'm not familar with aol nor have aol...
Old 07-22-2002, 07:15 PM   #7
Skyline240
AF Regular

you dont get what im saying the gemotry is so you can figure out at what angle you have to make the mounts. yeah you can find the rb cheaper but like ive been saying getting aftermarket support would be difficult basically im just repeating what ive been saying the last 3 post. also Lunitoons43 is my instant messenger sn not my email addres you should really read more carefully
"my email is totally different from the name i gave you thats my aol instant messenger name"
Old 07-23-2002, 09:18 AM   #8
NIF
AF Regular

custom mounts

I've been researching this swap for some time now. Nice to see it is gaining some popularity. I'm not so sure that custom mounts are required though. If you buy a front clip you can use the front crossmember which will bolt up, then you can use the factory mounts. This is what I will be doing. Have heard once that this will locate the engine a little higher in the car but I haven't seen any more on this.

Our Aussie friends are in hot debate over which rb is the better performer. But general consenus is that the rb25 will give you 1. way better midrange torque and 2.more power with less bolt-on parts. 400hp can be attainable on the stock bottom end.
NIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:20 AM   #9
Skyline240
AF Regular

see purchasing a front clip will cost more then just getting the engine i found that out the hard way when i bought the 25 here in the states that only cost me 3300 but when i opted for the 26 and got a front clip that came out to around 6500 not including shipping so when youre a little stapped for cash but he the 26 is well worth it
Old 07-23-2002, 12:21 PM   #10
NIF
AF Regular

front clip

right buying the clip will be more expensive. But i believe it would be worth the extra cash as you usually get things such as the crossmember, motor mounts, radiator front suspension/brakes etc. Plus many needed nickle and dime items. So Skyline240 are you swapping in a rb26?
Old 07-23-2002, 03:22 PM   #11
Skyline240
AF Regular

ive finished the swap. and actually both coices of either buying the front clip of just the engine it self has their disadvantages and advatages if you want ill go into more detail
Old 07-23-2002, 05:54 PM   #12
NIF
AF Regular

I'd love to hear about the swap. Do tell Do tell.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:14 AM   #13
Skyline240
AF Regular

my emails mrxincharge@aol.com just send me an email with what you want to know
Old 07-24-2002, 11:40 PM   #14
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to J SPEC SilEighty
Skyline240, can you please post some pictures of your complete swap. Also if you don't mind, would you type up sort of a report on how the swap went (did you run into many problems, how much custom work did you have to do, did you do the swap yourself, how much downtime was there for the swap to be completed, how much did you end up spending total?) Thanks
Old 07-26-2002, 04:35 AM   #15
Skyline240
AF Regular

ill try and get some pictures up as soon as i come back home. im currently in the philipines waiting for a new passport since my stuff was stolen so im stuck here till then its kinda okay tho i can get more parts anyone say racing hart for 300 bucks? k well ill answer your question in reverse okay well for the front clip inclund the rb25 tranny and ENTIRE rear End cost me 6500 not including shipping shipping was another 1000 i didnt have to pay for shop time or tolls because my friend owns a shop custom headers and and mounts roughly 500 other misc parts id say around 1500 so total 9500 give or take a margin of a 1000 dollars for error it would of been more ifi bouth the rb25 tranny and rear end serpeate. it took me about a month to do all the work because one i wanted to do a clean install and 2 i was also going to scholl and working at the same time could of done it mabey in about 2 weeks if everything i ordered at the same time and i didnt have to work or school. suprisingly there wasnt much custom work to be done ask anyone in Australia or new zealand the rb into 240 swap is very popular but the 240 is called a 200sx and the rb26 has even been swaped into s13 BUT require a lot of work down there its done a lot and a lot of my info came from my cousin the main problem i had was obtaining a wiring diagram so i could get everything set up now the swaps been done for a while now everything is running pretty smoothly is up in seatle now gettin some work done at my uncles shop hopefully ill be back for the car show in august in san mateo california i wanted to enter it in but dont know if i can make it back in time. the one main problem i had with the swap is traction thats its stiffer susp. helps a bit in the front since more weight is up there so what i did was installed my sound system in clunk heavy inclosures added about another 300 pounds in the back whick actually helped

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX