Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
york2600
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to york2600
Skunk2 Intake Manifold

This is from a reply I made to another post, but I searched so long to find information from someone that had installed their own Skunk2. Here's everything you need to know before considering it. Correct me on anything I'm wrong with or something I missed.

I bought a Skunk2 about a year ago. First off the Skunk2 is an exactly clone of the Type R intake manifold except it bolts up with the head on the B18c1 in the GSR. For some reason Honda decided to be difficult and make the bolt patterns opposite for the B18 and B16 (Type R head is based off the B16). Anyways.... It makes a lot of power. Simple as that. If you've ever been in a Type R and heard the scream of VTEC, it's the intake manifold. If you want that on a GSR then go for it.

What's different between the GSR's manifold and the Type R:

The GSR's intake manifold goes down towards the ground and has 2 runners (passages for the air to flow in). From idle to a certain RPM only the first runner is open. This runner is better for low end power, but when you get to a certain RPM (it's been a while so I forget) the second runner opens which is better for high end power. This allows the GSR to make a good amount of power in the low end while still having a pretty powerful top end too.

The Type R manifold goes up towards the hood. This presents a few problems that I will get to in the bottom of this post. It also employs a single runner design. The runners are shorter in distance so they produce more power. Now the bad part is they produce a LOT of power in the top end, but you will drop in the low end. It takes a little getting used to and kinda sucks since low end is cruisin around town power. I've heard that if you upgrade the cams you won't feel as much of a low end drop.

Now for the crappy part:

A) Since the GSR and Skunk2 intake manifolds go different directions the throttle body is in a different place. This means that intakes often wont line up, especially CAIs. Way shitty. There are two things you can do. A) buy a CAI for the LS/GS/RS or B) Get a Type R CAI. I got a Type R CAI because it's bigger than the LS CAI. I'm not sure if that makes any difference, but oh well.

B) Since the GSR's intake manifold sits really low Honda had the throttle cable for the throttle body go up towards the hood. If you slap a Skunk2 intake manifold on there it will hit the hood. This requires you to buy the throttle cable part that attaches to the IM on the Type R. I forget what it's called, but I can get the name for you if you need it. I think it's like $10 or something. Then you need to make the throttle cable fit around the rotor on the throttle body. It wants the cable to wrap around and come out at the top, but you need it to come out on the right side so it can run down the intake manifold towards the driver side wheel. It can be done.

C) Get new gaskets for the intake manifold and the throttle body. Reusing gaskets is a bad idea

D) The bolts on the bottle of the GSR's manifold will make you pull your hair out. They are a pain to get out

E) The support bracket for the GSR manifold is worthless when you have the Skunk2. I took mine out. It required draining the coolant and putting a new coolant hose in since the heater hose is welded onto the support bracket. You can leave it, or you could drop a pound (eat 1 less cheeseburger and you'll get the same weight drop when you drive your car).

F) You also have to buy a little support part that holds the fuel rail into the intake manifold. Again you can get it from Acura. If you buy an AEM fuel rail you don't need it.

G) You have to be careful when you take the fuel rail and injectors out. If you remove the injectors from the rail then you need to replace the o-rings. You might want to do it anyways while you have everything pulled apart. They're like 50 cents a pop from Acura.

-Tim

Mods: Professionally Built B20/VTEC: B18C1 head w/ pocket port, JE oversized pistons, Eagle Rods, block guard, ARP head studs, Skunk2 Intake Manifold, STR Throttle Body, AEM CAI, AEM Fuel Rail/Regulator, RC Engineering 280CC injectors, Denso Iridium Plugs, Magnacor Wires, DC Sports 4-2-1 SS Header, Greddy Evo Exhaust, ACT Stage 1 clutch W/ ACT flywheel, Apexi SAFC & Revspeed Meter, and many other toys.
york2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
good info man .. i was thinking of a skunk2.. but perhaps i'll look around a bit more..
Old 02-15-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
Gee3
AF Newbie

The Skunk 2 mani really is a worthwhile product, even if it's a pain to install. But just like anything else you need to plan ahead. Here is a good site for the install to see if it's something you want to do:

http://www.jdmhondaparts.com/tech/sk2manifold/

IMO, it's a good next step after the usual bolt-on's like I/H/E and Type R cams. And at $250-$300 it really is a good bang for the buck.
Gee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:04 AM   #4
GSR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to GSR
i dont know if you skipped this or just didnt know. vtec on a gsr is 4400rpm and the secondaries open at 5800rpm, this means after the manifold install, it will be a dog from vtec switchover up until a little under 5800rpm. this may be the reason why your car seems so slow. to fix this you need to raise your vtec switchover point, you can do this with: type r ecu, v-afc controller, hondata, or a chip.

by "throttle cable part" i am assuming you mean the butterfly

skunk2 does outperform a gsr manifold...but have minor flaws. their flanges have been known to be warped so it would be a good idea to check and take to a machine shop if neccerasy (no more than $20)
GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
XxDumped LsxX
AF Newbie

Might i suggest a JG Edelbrock victor x intake manifold. They are not a knock off of a type r.
XxDumped LsxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:24 PM   #6
MUGEN B18b1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MUGEN B18b1
I agree with Dumped LS. The JG manifold bolted right on to my LS and gives great power, it's also great for turbocharged motors.
MUGEN B18b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:50 AM   #7
ras_2680s
AF Newbie

Re: Skunk2 Intake Manifold

I own a Acura RS I just put in a JG Edelbrock victor x intake manifold. When I turn on my car it start to idle from 1300 to 1600 rmp back and forth like it is suck. Can someone help me.
ras_2680s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #8
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg

It is the IACV and this post is more than a year old! Please do not bring things like this back up!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #9
PiNoY GsR RaCeR
AF Enthusiast

Just wanted to add and quick question on the parts needed for the Skunk 2 Intake Manifold Install. But can it be done to where you DO NOT have to buy parts from like a LS Throttle Body to make it so that your GS-R Throttle Body and the throttle body rotor will work with your Type R Throttle cable?

I was told that I should get like a LS Throttle Body so that the Type R throttle cable will work fine without hitting the hood. Or get the rotor part and like something else and use it on the GS-R Throttle Body.
PiNoY GsR RaCeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:28 PM   #10
98-ls
AF Regular

i want to get a skunk 2 manifold for my ls. am i going to need to modify anything like for the gsr
98-ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:11 PM   #11
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
Re: Re: Skunk2 Intake Manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98-ls
i want to get a skunk 2 manifold for my ls. am i going to need to modify anything like for the gsr
No you won't have to modify anything but unless you are getting new cams and using a higher rpm band the Skunk2 manifold will not be good for you. If you are not planning on doing anything to the cams and rpm range than the stock manifold is the best bet for you.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
1999 em1
AF Newbie

i have a 1999 si and i want to put a skunk2 intake mani in....i will need amani based off the typr r? cuz im pretty sure skunk2 makes manis for the gsr too
1999 em1 is offline   Reply With Quote