Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
Andrewhuffman
AF Regular

intake

1991 300zx 3.0 twin cam, non turbo.

it has the two intakes into a ''Y'' pipe, couldn't, i just seperate it an put two filters on it? also how does it keep from sucking up water if it just sits in the front like it does.
Energy Suspension, z1 Drive Shaft,E-fan, Port/Polished heads, AMS Manifolds, HKS SSQV BOVs, Howe Radiator, RPS segmented LW flywheel, UR OverDrive waterpump pulley, Billion Thermo, z1 silicone hoses, Stillen gauge pod w/autometers, D&S rotors all around
Andrewhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
robzone0911
AF Regular

Re: intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewhuffman

it has the two intakes into a ''Y'' pipe, couldn't, i just seperate it an put two filters on it? also how does it keep from sucking up water if it just sits in the front like it does.
You would need to buy a second MAF to do that, and those retail for, correct me if I'm wrong, around $500 from Z1; however, you could probably get one (unknown condition) off ebay for less than $200. Normally there is a splash guard underneath the front facia that keeps water away from the intake.

If you did decide to add a second MAF and make a dual intake, you would need to splice into the existing lines for the MAF connector, and even still I'm not sure how well it would work.

robzone0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

Quote:

short answer: no, you can't... if you have to ask, you can't
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
it has the two intakes into a ''Y'' pipe, couldn't, i just seperate it an put two filters on it?
It's easily done, look up any dual intake kit made by one of many companies. However this has to be corrected at the ECU, as the MAF is now only reading half the air coming into the motor so it's not as simple as just new pipes and a second filter.

You don't technically need a second MAF, it just means you're probably going to have a persistent idle problem if you don't. Also, working MAFs can be had for $100.

However, for a non-turbo motor you're just not flowing enough air to make the mod worth it. Even on a mildly modded twin turbo (say around 300rwhp) the gain from a dual intake is about 10 hp over a single. For a NA that's not pulling nearly as much air the difference is going to be negligible.

Quote:
also how does it keep from sucking up water if it just sits in the front like it does.
It sits high enough off the ground and tucked up far enough that it's not an issue. Hell it does get wet, after driving in an "ocean falling from the sky" down pour I noted my filters were soaked. However this failed to cause any problems. To hydrolock a motor you usually have to have the filters partially submerged or subjected to a massive dose of water (like a large splash of water driving through a puddle).

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)