Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
hellraiser319

Send a message via AIM to hellraiser319 Send a message via Yahoo to hellraiser319
Question 1993 Ply. Sundance 2.5 (need quick reply please)

I am getting a 1993 Plymouth Sundance for next to nothin ($50), and all it really needs is a radiator and a solution to this one problem:
After the engine is warmed up, under normal acceleration, the engine seems like it cannot push the car at all, but when you floor it, (passing gear) the engine is then capable of moving the car with ease. Im not to familiar with Mopar products, but in my experiences, it sounds like the egr valve is faulty or stickin and not letting the engine "breathe" sufficiently to drive under "normal" rpms. Also, I've heard that the tranny's are not that great reliability-wise and there could be something faulty with it, from what i heard a modulator. Please share what you think about this issue and thanx ahead of time for your input.

Hellraiser
hellraiser319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
hellraiser319

Send a message via AIM to hellraiser319 Send a message via Yahoo to hellraiser319
Re: 1993 Ply. Sundance 2.5 (need quick reply please)

20 views and no one has any ideas???
Old 08-02-2004, 03:23 AM   #3
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

What man? EGR has nothing to do with it breathing. EGR is exhaust gas recirculation, it recycles exhaust gas, or some of it anyway, back into the combustion chamber so it can be burned instead of released into the atmosphere. If it was sticking it would actually be doing you a favor.

"Passing gear" like you call it is just the torque converter unlocking. I've heard other people call it that too. I think what you're talking about is when you're going down the highway and the transmission is in overdrive, and it won't pull. When you floor it, it either drops it into 3rd gear, or unlocks overdrive so it can have some pulling power. How's your tranny fluid level? How about the color? Maybe this thing is fried or frying...

For fifty bucks I wouldn't be worrying about it too much...
Old 08-15-2004, 12:27 AM   #4
hellraiser319

well i studied it more today since i just got it, it does it once its warmed up. from a dead stop accelerating, once it hits a certain rpm it bogs down unless you floor it. its not the trans because the fluid is clean and was just serviced with new filter and everything at 75k and the previous owner did every maintence procedure since the day it was bought. my guess is its in need of tune up, gotta check the records, or cat clogged but not to point where it cant breathe, and high rpms only keepin it goin cuz it forcing air out.
like i said before, im not a chrysler person, born and raised with gm, so if anyone is more familiar, please feel free to give me your input. by the way, BD, ill check out the tranny more closely, it seems to be solid tho....
Old 08-21-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
Mojack
AF Newbie

Hey 'raiser, sorry no help here, but I'm slowly working on it. My '89 2.5 is acting just as you described. The cat or maybe a clog in the fuel system will be where I look next.
Mojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:37 AM   #6
hellraiser319

well i pulled the computer codes and it was readin faulty o2 sensor so im gonna replace that when i get the $50 for a new one.....
Old 08-22-2004, 09:14 AM   #7
Mojack
AF Newbie

Yeah, I priced those already...jeepers creepers a chevy O2 sensor is $20. One reason I will try the two other things is I bought a parts donor Daytona for $40, woo hoo! It has a very clean tank, while mine had been sitting and looked pretty nasty when I swapped the fuel sender and pump. The donor has a "test pipe" exhaust I can try to see if the cat is plugged. These things are basicly free repairs but will take me a while to get to them, mostly on the weekend.
Mojack is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion