Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Maximus84
Banned

Exclamation Oppose the Federal “Cash for Clunkers” Program

Oppose the Federal “Cash for Clunkers” Program

Washington lawmakers are drafting a large economic stimulus package to help create jobs and rebuild infrastructure. They want to include a nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur new car sales. The lawmakers need to scrap this idea.

The stimulus package is being drafted right now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wants to introduce the bill on January 6 and have it approved by Congress by January 20, so that President Obama can sign it into law after he is inaugurated.

Contact House Speaker Nancy Pelosi IMMEDIATELY To Oppose Cash for Clunkers!

Call: 202/225-0100
Click here to send an electronic message: http://speaker.house.gov/contact/

Talking Points
Oppose the Use of U.S. Taxpayer Dollars for Cash for Clunkers

• I am [calling/writing] to urge lawmakers not to include a “Cash for Clunkers” provision in the economic stimulus bill. Owners who turn in vehicles for crushing would receive a "minimal" payment to purchase a new car. This is a misguided attempt to spur car sales and claim that the country’s air quality or fleet fuel mileage is being improved.

• “Cash for Clunkers” programs threaten enthusiasts nationwide with the loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair, restoration, and customization projects. The programs also risk destroying classic, historic and special-interest vehicles, our American heritage.

• Cars turned in for scrappage often barely run, or are rarely-driven second or third vehicles that have a minimal impact on overall fuel economy or emissions.

• “Cash for Clunkers” programs will reduce the availability of affordable transportation and repair parts used by low-income drivers. It will also compete with the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart and other charities that rely on vehicle donations to raise money.

• “Cash for Clunkers” ignores better policy options. If Congress wants to act, support for repair and upgrade is a better choice and a win-win for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and repair shops. Significant emissions and fuel economy improvements can be achieved in older vehicles through relatively simple and inexpensive means: repaired/replaced exhaust systems, tune-ups, etc.

• We hope we can count on you to reject “Cash for Clunkers.” Thank you for your consideration on this very important matter.

Please send a quick note and/or a copy of your message to Speaker Pelosi to:
E-mail: briand@sema.org
Fax: 202/783-6024
Maximus84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Oppose the Federal “Cash for Clunkers” Program

Do they really think that , in the present state of the economy, and the credit crunch, that $4000 is enough of an incentive for many people to go out and purchase a new vehicle? There are a lot of people out there with "not-so-prime" credit histories where obtaining a vehicle loan is next to impossible. $4000 isn't going to do that much to help.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I agree with this post; the buy-back program is costly and ineffective.

A similar program has been in effect in California for some years, as far as I know. This makes sense for specific areas that have a severe pollution problem, like Los Angeles. But nation-wide, it is an ineffective way to spend tax dollars, it will not stimulate any industry and is harmful to the old car hobby.

BTW Maximus' thread seems to have been lifted entirely from this site:
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/77405
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Maximus84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
I agree with this post; the buy-back program is costly and ineffective.

A similar program has been in effect in California for some years, as far as I know. This makes sense for specific areas that have a severe pollution problem, like Los Angeles. But nation-wide, it is an ineffective way to spend tax dollars, it will not stimulate any industry and is harmful to the old car hobby.

BTW Maximus' thread seems to have been lifted entirely from this site:
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/77405
Try again! Its info you get if you're interested enough to join the Sema Action Network....dude! Why are you again changing the subject?
Maximus84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
MagicRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus84
Try again! Its info you get if you're interested enough to join the Sema Action Network....dude! Why are you again changing the subject?
As a reminder to all AF users, plagiarism, regardless of the source is against the AF user guidelines to which we have all agreed when we joined this forum.
Regardless of the source of the material, copy-and-paste articles like this one should be credited to their source, in order to comply with commonly accepted practices here at AF.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
Faberbrinx
AF Newbie

Nancy sucks....
Faberbrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396

$4000 is just enough to get you into the hole buying a new car.

Other bills or incentives have paid out anywhere from $500 to $800 just to junk old cars, which gets dangerous or polluting cars out of circulation. I believe that Shell Oil sponsored one, not sure where it was, it may have been a California thing.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396
$4000 is just enough to get you into the hole buying a new car.

Other bills or incentives have paid out anywhere from $500 to $800 just to junk old cars, which gets dangerous or polluting cars out of circulation. I believe that Shell Oil sponsored one, not sure where it was, it may have been a California thing.

Bob
I believe that was in the mid to late 1980's. I remember reading all about it in the many muscle car magazines I subscribed to during that time. There were a bunch of stories and plenty of letters to the editor about it. I also want to say Conoco did something similar around that time, perhaps California too.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
MagicRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner
I remember reading all about it in the many muscle car magazines I subscribed to during that time. .
I recall reading a feature one mag did (I think it was CamaroCraf........ I mean Car Craft).

They went to where there was a line up of people waiting to turn their clunkers in. They picked one out of the line, bought it before the Clunker folks did and turned it into a really nice project.

In this way, they were (in part) exposing their view of the wastefulness of this Clunker program.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Faberbrinx
AF Newbie

California sucks to....
Faberbrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
I recall reading a feature one mag did (I think it was CamaroCraf........ I mean Car Craft).

They went to where there was a line up of people waiting to turn their clunkers in. They picked one out of the line, bought it before the Clunker folks did and turned it into a really nice project.

In this way, they were (in part) exposing their view of the wastefulness of this Clunker program.
I remember another story too, either Car Craft or Hot rod where they did some emission testing on I believe a '57 Chevy and an early to mid '80s car and the older '57 came out better in the tests with less noxious emissions .

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Jackip
AF Newbie

Just saying hello to everyone

I hope this message was posted in the right section. If not, please tell me what section this should be in.Hi, this is my first post and wanted to say hello to everyone. I am looking forward in meeting some friends here and I hope that I can contribute something to this site like others. For those of you who are older members here, where is a good place to start?
Jackip is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars