Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
KSEAN6969
AF Newbie

old engine question

I working on a 1972 NISSAN 280ZX. The car was running 2 years ago, but has sat in a garage for 2 years unstarted. The owner states that all the fuel was used before the car was put in "storage". He's unsure of when the oil and spark plugs were changed last. With the lack of a battery at this time, i have not tried to start the car. Before i attempt to start the car, what steps should i take to ensure a successful start or to at least get the engine to turn over. Your advice is appreciated.

thank you,
Kwame Heywood
KSEAN6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: old engine question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEAN6969
I working on a 1972 NISSAN 280ZX. The car was running 2 years ago, but has sat in a garage for 2 years unstarted. The owner states that all the fuel was used before the car was put in "storage". He's unsure of when the oil and spark plugs were changed last. With the lack of a battery at this time, i have not tried to start the car. Before i attempt to start the car, what steps should i take to ensure a successful start or to at least get the engine to turn over. Your advice is appreciated.

thank you,
Kwame Heywood
i personally would drain all fluids or atleast oil. I would also make sure to buy a bottle of Lucas Fuel Treatment along with 5 gallons of fresh gasoline.

Those are the 2 things I would definitely change before cranking over.

Over time, oil tends to coagulate over time especially if it has been used. I even think oil has a shelf life of only a year.

also the reason why i would add a good fuel treatment and more gas is not only to mix the existing gas (chemicals may have seperated themselves and condensation) but also to mix it with some good gas and also to get rid of some of the moisture.

once started, I would not run or drive too far without changing the coolant.

Also, they didn't make the 280zx in 1972. Only the 240z was made. it could be a 240z with a L28 swapped in or it will only be a 2.4L motor. Make sure to take starting fluid (ether) with you beings the motor is probably carbed if it hasn't been swapped.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
icice9
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to icice9
Re: old engine question

i agree with everything k3smostwanted said.. also to insure a good start up.. change the fuel fileter and while cranking the engine to spray a little carb cleaner in the intake.. this will help the car to fire up.. let her run and burn up all the old fuel then fill her up with new fuel...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)