Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
thomas24ct
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to thomas24ct
Question Would this work to import?

So you can import a skyline from Japan under 1 of 2 circumstances, if you pay motorex (and I suspect some goes to our government) $25,000 to convert it. Or if you choose to register it as a race or show car, which allows you only 5,000 miles of use a year.
Now this is all done in California right when it comes off the boat. So, then you take it to your state, mine being michigan, and register it as race/show, or street use.
To avoid the $25,000 charge could I first register it as a race/show car, keep it for a while and not drive it much, and then in Michigan change it to a street-use vehicles. The car first has to pass customs standards and DMV regulations in CALIFORNIA, they have crazy laws, but can you avoid this by just registering it as race/show? Michigan has NO DMV and no regulations on cars, they probably don't even know what a skyline is here in lansing, gm country.
Does anyone think this would work?
Have I missed any details in my research?
I know Michigan wouldn't check the car, they don't have anybody who does that and who'd know anyway.

thanks,
-Corey
Team MaZi Customs, Lansing, MI
thomas24ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
swedish
AF Regular

i don't know about dealing with california, but being from michigan myself, i think what you said would work, but make sure sos doesn't find out, because i know from experience they love to screw people over.

Learn to swim."
swedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
thomas24ct
AF Newbie

i'll have to see

Well if I get the chance to try I'll let you know ifit works
Old 06-09-2003, 09:10 AM   #4
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
how does NO sound?

this topic has been gone over a million times in this forum.
if the skyline comes through the gates in cali, it's got to be legal in cali. or you can't drive or register it. sorry.

why don't you pm tyndago (sean morris) who used to work at motorex and now runs www.rbmotoring.com. he'll let you know what's legal.

and if that was possible, it would have been done before. and posted here. and everywhere.

ALSO. SEE THE LOCKED THREAD AT THE TOP OF THIS FORUM BEFORE POSTING THESE QUESTIONS. RAZORGTR HAS MADE IT QUITE CLEAR WHAT THE DEAL IS, AND YOUR THREAD WILL MOST LIKELY BE DELETED.
THANKS. HAVE A NICE DAY.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:46 AM   #5
D2daT2daM
AF Enthusiast

Re: Would this work to import?

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas24ct
So you can import a skyline from Japan under 1 of 2 circumstances, if you pay motorex (and I suspect some goes to our government) $25,000 to convert it. Or if you choose to register it as a race or show car, which allows you only 5,000 miles of use a year.
Now this is all done in California right when it comes off the boat. So, then you take it to your state, mine being michigan, and register it as race/show, or street use.
To avoid the $25,000 charge could I first register it as a race/show car, keep it for a while and not drive it much, and then in Michigan change it to a street-use vehicles. The car first has to pass customs standards and DMV regulations in CALIFORNIA, they have crazy laws, but can you avoid this by just registering it as race/show? Michigan has NO DMV and no regulations on cars, they probably don't even know what a skyline is here in lansing, gm country.
Does anyone think this would work?
Have I missed any details in my research?
I know Michigan wouldn't check the car, they don't have anybody who does that and who'd know anyway.

thanks,
-Corey
Team MaZi Customs, Lansing, MI
u sir are a crook towards the government! and motorex , and i respect that nucha fucks steal so much from us that its not funny anymore, theres always a way around things and you have just figured out, and that 5k mile a year, just roll back the miles
D2daT2daM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
thomas24ct
AF Newbie

Question hey fly

Is it legal for me to register the car in clifornia as a street/show car and not have to pay motorex an assramming 25 grand?
If the secretary of state here in michigan lets me register the car as a daily driver would that be legal?
yea....that's what i thought.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:40 AM   #7
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

yeah that's what you thought? what is what you thought?

you'd have to get the car in as a show only car, and i'm sure that there'd be some sort of legal loophole that is attached to the cars title/registration by the US gov't that would restrict you getting the car to be street legal. something that the state gov't wouldn't be able to over ride. without doing it, i can't tell you for sure, but if it's not been done, i doubt it can be.

again, www.rbmotoring.com and tyndago have the answers... pondering on the web gets you nowhere until you ask the questions to people who have done and attempted to do the things in question
Old 06-10-2003, 09:45 AM   #8
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

and you're also more likely to die from a car accident in most other countries.

and your country cares about the atmosphere and keeping the world semi decent for your kids.

takin your hard earned money?
right.

the fact that they "take" your money allows you to have these freedoms you love.

why do you think we don't have internal issues and terrorism running rampant like other countries?

b/c of these awful concessions we must make to have a safe place to live.

whatever. you guys need to just get over it and realize that it takes money to make things happen.

another thread wasted on a topic covered a fukking million times in this forum.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #9
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

Can we please tone it down a bit, on the language. I know there is freedom here and I am not one to normally ask but getting riled like this isn't going to solve the issues at hand.

I am going to leave this thread open for the time being.

Corey if you do decide to go for it keep us informed please. I and the rest are interested to know what problems if any arise and all legal battles that also may come from it.

The rest please refrain from going off topic and asking tons of non-answerable questions. Also read the sticky thread about legalizing Skylines for the US.

I will pin this so we can use it for reference. I will also remove/nuke needless posts.

Corey this is on you dude. Reply back here if your intention is to actually follow through with it. If not then the thead goes, sorry has to be that way.

Cheers
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:52 PM   #10
thomas24ct
AF Newbie

Cool thanks

I never wanted it to get into some sort of trash talking thing here. I don't know what was said in the post that you deleted, and I know I had nothing to do with it. I just wanted to find out if it could be done. I e-mailed that guy at rbmotoring.com like you suggested fly, but I didn't get an answer. And even if I do, he used to work for motorex, the whole idea is to avoid motorex here, legally. So I doubt he'd be supporting me. Sorry for this getting out of hand Razor. And yea I intend on going through with this, a friend of mine wants to too. So ofcourse I'll let you know how it goes, just as soon as i get the cash and can find one i want. By the way, did you go through motorex with your skyline or is it race only? Just trying to find people who have them in the U.S. And I know i'm not finding anyone in michigan who has one so it's really hard to find out the info i need.

thanks man,

-Corey
Old 06-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #11
thomas24ct
AF Newbie

on second thought....

Actualy just go ahead and delete it. I'll just talk to you guys when it comes time to get a skyline
Old 06-10-2003, 07:58 PM   #12
D2daT2daM
AF Enthusiast

ill get a r32 in 10 years when motorex drops the price down to 20 gs lol
D2daT2daM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 02:08 PM   #13
tofstchvy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tofstchvy Send a message via Yahoo to tofstchvy
You first have to get the car in as a race car. Good luck it is not easy.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:19 PM   #14
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by tofstchvy
You first have to get the car in as a race car. Good luck it is not easy.
That was going to be my point. Under the "show and display" regulations, you have to prove to the government that this vehicle has significant historical or technological qualities. There are more vehicles turned down for this than accepted. If you were to import it as a race car, as far as I know, you couldn't register it for street use.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:58 PM   #15
thomas24ct
AF Newbie

that's easy

Depending on where you live. I haven't seen anyone in my state with a skyline at a show. As far as tech. specs go, does Ford or GM make a 6-cylinder awd sports car with a 4.7 0-60 STOCK. the GTR defines signifacant technological qualities.