Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #31
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Re: Scale finishes paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifeNet View Post
Thanks for the clarification, it makes more sense now that what you are referring to.
Good. As you can see from a previous post, I speculated that Scale Finishes was following a business plan similar to Zero Paints': repackaging and supporting automotive urethanes in small bottles. My guess was wrong.

What is "roof"?

Quote:
And you would agree that it was entertaining to look at.
Not so much, actually.

Quote:
Seeing color saturation spots, I thought my first coat didn't cover enough?
Fair enough. But from image #4 on, I can see glitches on the hood and fender. Just from the photos, they appear to be either fish-eyes or dust motes. Regardless, when they appeared, it was time to stop, let the coat cure, and sand out the glitches. Instead, you pressed on. See Tom's Tip about never trying to fix problems by adding more coats. That only works 1% of the time - bad odds.

Quote:
The surface seem to be reacting quite badly. My guess was that the "pre-thinned" paint solvent was too strong. I could be wrong, but it didn't happen on my second test (roof) when I dilutted with modeling thinner.
The solution to a chemical reaction is rarely more chemicals. I don't think you had a chemical reaction in the first place; I think you had a dirt problem. A chemical reaction usually appears as a pattern over a widespread area. Specks like those on the fender and hood are usually caused by dirt, or by water or grease or some chemical on or under the paint.

I have never had anything react badly with Tamiya Surface Primer. I would be very surprised if Scale Finishes cannot be used over Tam Primers.

Quote:
...my post was all about lacquers. I assumed Scale Finish paints are lacquer based. I didn't have other information that they were otherwise and was confused why you were discussing about urethanes.
I don't have any contrary information either, but I'm still not convinced that the Scale Finish paints are lacquers, especially in light of the fact that more and more places are outlawing them all the time. Solvent-borne acrylics, possibly. As I said, "solvent-based" could mean almost anything except water. Nail polish, for example.

Here's an idea: Why don't you ask SF what they are?

By the way, a paint that's soluble with lacquer thinner is not necessarily a lacquer. Enamels are one example. Urethanes are another. Waterborne acrylics are a third.

Quote:
...remember that self-leveling thinner actually slows down the curing time and it is the sole purpose.
I can't remember what I never knew! I admit to complete ignorance on the subject of self-leveling thinners. Sounds like something you'd use with enamels to reduce orange peel.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am bit hesitant to use "urethanes"...
Why? If your experiment is any indication, it seems to be a lot easier to get a good result with automotive urethanes.

Quote:
To recap, your feedback is that the paint seems to be okay, but I may have applied too much. I think so too, I may try lighter coats and redo the test to see what I get.
Not exactly. I'm still skeptical about the first point, especially in light of my excellent experiences with urethanes. Before conducting more "experiments," I think you need to make sure you're painting a clean, well-prepped surface.

Quote:
But I may also play around with the adding more thinner just to see it makes anything better or worse.

As I said, you have no indications that the pre-thinned paint is too thick. So why thin it more? The point, well, MY point, is not to "play around," but to get a consistently good result. The more variables you introduce, the deeper the mystery will become.

Last edited by Didymus; 03-04-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #32
nakadds
AF Newbie

I believe Scale finishes paints are enamels.
nakadds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #33
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

Didymus,

I am beginning to think that you have not read the post I wrote throughly.

That is why we are having miscommunication. Maybe if I weren't putting the pictures, people would not have only look at the pictures and made their points?

I have stated the reason why I am doing this and the purpose behind the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didymus View Post
What is "roof"?
Case in point...

Quote:
Fair enough. But from image #4 on, I can see glitches on the hood and fender. Just from the photos, they appear to be either fish-eyes or dust motes. Regardless, when they appeared, it was time to stop, let the coat cure, and sand out the glitches. Instead, you pressed on. See Tom's Tip about never trying to fix problems by adding more coats. That only works 1% of the time - bad odds.
Another case in point... My objective is not make things pretty, but finding out any "surprises". And I was not trying to fix a mistake by adding more coats. Please re-read.

I might be able to do a closer shot for this and then you can judge again.

Quote:
The solution to a chemical reaction is rarely more chemicals. I don't think you had a chemical reaction in the first place; I think you had a dirt problem.
The entire surface etched. I was pointing out the obvious areas, but the whole area was affected.

Quote:
Here's an idea: Why don't you ask SF what they are?
I assumed lacquer and you assumed otherwise. Why don't you ask SF what they are?

Truthfully, my goal wasn't to find out the source of Scale Finish, but to apply and find out any surprises. I am positive you would know that if you read the post again.

[quote] ...remember that self-leveling thinner actually slows down the curing time and it is the sole purpose.[/quote}

Quote:
I can't remember what I never knew! I admit to complete ignorance on the subject of self-leveling thinners. Sounds like something you'd use with enamels to reduce orange peel.
My turn to say:

[quote=Didymus;6117651]
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am bit hesitant to use "urethanes"...

Why? If your experiment is any indication, it seems to be a lot easier to get a good result with automotive urethanes.
Please read my post.

Quote:
As I said, you have no indications that the pre-thinned paint is too thick. So why thin it more? The point, well, MY point, is not to "play around," but to get a consistently good result. The more variables you introduce, the deeper the mystery will become.
Ok, I will indicate that the coat was not thick. The real reason why I was adding the thinner was stated. Please read.

Please read my post why I am doing this. Playing around is all about this exercise.

I understand your point and appreciate your feedback as to what you are trying to tell.

But to be honest, we seem to be going into pissing contest as whose knowledge is better.

We can continue to have additional conversations off line if you would like.

I rather not post these info using the common channel here where I don't think people will be benefitting anymore.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #34
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadds View Post
Adding a new twist!

I think some of their line up is enamel based as stated in their web site.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #35
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadds View Post
Thanks! That would explain a lot. Assuming, of course, that CifeNet was using those enamels, and not Scale Finishes' other line of paints.
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #36
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

Why doesn't someone just email the proprietor (Jameston) with whatever questions you may have? Just curious. He's quite a decent fellow to deal with.
sam-r350 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling