Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics
Buick Classics Discuss older classics here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
BuickCaretaker
AF Newbie

Buick Century 95 Performance

So I drive a Buick Century 94, 4 dr special sedan. I hear people saying 3100, 3800, yea dont ask me what it is I have no clue. I just know its a 3 speed automatic, v6. I specialize in external car knowledge, such as in looks.

When it comes to performance I dont have a clue.
So thats why I'm attempting to figure out how I can increase performance with this car. Now ive talked to alot of people about it, most of them have the same thing to say.. "dont bother. " "not worth it" and my favorite "you cant" . Ok even I know thats a load of bullshit.

I have a buddy of mine who owns a Tiburon and he has put some serious money into it, as far as performance goes. So you'd think I could just talk to him, but he is very technical which is fine, but he confuses me telling me "oh you need a new exhaust system, new fuel intake this , air filter that". I understand all that, its good and gravy and all, but I have a very limited knowledge of performance and parts. We'll leave it at I know the basics. Limited basics. Not saying I cant learn and I dont want to, because I do.

But here's what Im seeking to learn. How exactly do I go about increasing performance in an old car like mine? I just don't know where to begin. Like where do I start? Im assuming the first thing to do would be go get a tune up, and find from someone or something, my exact car parts and stats, but I dont think I can do that without ripping the engine apart, and looking at every single car part, IF that would even get me anywhere.

Like Im sure my car would do just great if I got a new fuel injector, new exhaust, etc, but where do I start exactly? I dont want to buy a new exhaust, then be doing damage to my car because I have upgraded other parts, gotten new batteries etc. I wish I could find a step by step guide on what parts to upgrade first, because from what Ive seen, you cant really upgrade any part without upgrading all the rest. But see thats the thing I dont know where to fucking start!

Do i upgrade battery first? All the basic components first? Like what do I start out with new battery, fan, pistons, spark plugs, etc, all the basics, then worry about the bigger stuff? Or do I start out with an exhaust first, then go back and worry about upgrading the parts that need to be upgraded to handle the exhaust, and what are those parts?

God I know this sounds like a total noob post, but thats because it is. I just need someone to give me some legit knowledge so I can do my research, but correctly be able to research what I need.

Where do I start? What parts do I upgrade, and what parts will be needed to upgrade later to cope with the new upgraded parts? Does that make sense?

please help, dont tell me it cant be done because I know it can be. Just need some friendly knowledge.
BuickCaretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Buick Century 95 Performance

Well, if it's a 3 speed, then I would say it is a 3.1.....

The big question is.......Why?

Exactly why do you want more performance? Do you have this fantasy of driving this tah-tah car, up to a red light and challenging a 2012 Camaro?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Buick Century 95 Performance

Realistically there no are no meaningful parts or mods that can be done to this engine, cold air intake of some kind, swap in a 3.8, very difficult. Pistons, what is this going to do, there are no aftermarket high compression pistons for this engine, try googling 3.1 mods see what you come up with. Just trying to give you a heads up here before you waste money on something that is nearly impossible.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics