Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
doferty
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to doferty
Unhappy Transmission Pan Magnet

When I changed my transmission fluid recently, I forgot to put the magnet back in the pan. Realized this a few days later when I found the magnet on my workbench. Question: Will leaving the magnet out of the pan cause any problems? When I cleaned it and the pan there was no evidence of metal or any other material. The pan did have a fairly good buildup of what I assume if cluch plate material but that seems normal. Any advice appreciate. Thanks.

'02 Silverado 2500HD 4WD. 96k. Perfect condition.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
iroc343
AF Regular

Re: Transmission Pan Magnet

I don't think I'd worry about it too much. There are many transmissions out there without them.
iroc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
jdmccright
The RustBuster

I understand the dilemma you feel. It's a lot of work to get the pan off for such a simple piece. But remember that the magnet keeps all that 'sludge' you found on it from circulating around your tranny...tiny metallic particles can score valve body walls and pump internals when present in enough quantity. Plus if something were to happen catastrophically, the mag could help limit damge.Do you need to replace it right away? No, but I wouldn't wait very long...3-5k miles before the particulate concentration in the fluid gets too high.Just had a thought...stick a stronger magnet to the exterior of the pan until you can replace it. Radio Shack sells them in various shapes...may want to paint them to keep them from rusting since they are iron-based. Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doferty View Post
When I changed my transmission fluid recently, I forgot to put the magnet back in the pan. Realized this a few days later when I found the magnet on my workbench. Question: Will leaving the magnet out of the pan cause any problems? When I cleaned it and the pan there was no evidence of metal or any other material. The pan did have a fairly good buildup of what I assume if cluch plate material but that seems normal. Any advice appreciate. Thanks.

'02 Silverado 2500HD 4WD. 96k. Perfect condition.

I have a 3 inch dia. speaker magnet on the bottom of the transmission pan...this is in addition to the internal one..

this exterior magnet does the same thing and will cause the magnetic debris to be held...

any metal flowing through the torque converter will eventually damage it...

usually at your mileage you should not have a great amount of debris at the pan....

what transmission fluid do you use and how many miles between changes??
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
iroc343
AF Regular

The steel pan will shunt the magnet and very little to no magnetic force will get through the pan to attract metal particles. I work for a company the manufactures magnetic equipment and steel plates on the face of the magnet is how we shunt the magnetic fields to enable us to air freight permanent magnets. You probably ought to bite the bullet and take the pan down and put the magnet back in, your not going to sleep till you do.
iroc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc343 View Post
The steel pan will shunt the magnet and very little to no magnetic force will get through the pan to attract metal particles. I work for a company the manufactures magnetic equipment and steel plates on the face of the magnet is how we shunt the magnetic fields to enable us to air freight permanent magnets. You probably ought to bite the bullet and take the pan down and put the magnet back in, your not going to sleep till you do.
a strong speaker magnet will magnetize the steel pan bottom...this is the fact, as when I drop this pan, the round gray debris is formed exactly where the exterior magnet was installed...

your shunting of,,, isolation of ,,,the magnetic force would be correct if the pan where copper/stainless steel , or some other non magnetic material....

if anyone doubts this see if the magnet with a 1/8inch thick , flat steel sheet will pick up a steel nail...then you will understand why it does
work.

also I've done this for years on other vehicles,,,many years....
got the idea when they came out with the oil filter magnet,,,
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
forgot , magnet , pan , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado