Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #31
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov
Re: '00 GLS hard starting

Well, if you're going to make a habit of working on your vehicle(s) those are all great tools to have around, and universal to pretty much any passenger vehicle.

A set of ramps runs about $50, and anymore they are made from plastic, which is eery at first, but Ive used mine several times and never had a doubt as to their strength. Being they are plastic they should last longer than you haha. Provided you dont store them in the sun, or they dont get damaged, etc.

You can pick up a basic floor jack fairly cheap, and jackstands are typically even cheaper. I know Wal-Mart used to sell a 2-ton floor jack and 2 jack-stands as a set that was around 40-50 dollars, thats what I purchased a few years back.

Think of it this way, the price of a set of ramps is about what you would pay a mechanic in labor charges for changing that sensor. In fact the mechanic might even be more expensive. You would have to pay for the part either way. This is an excellent point to bring up to a significant other, if thats an issue haha.

For a project like this, Id go with ramps over the jack and jackstands. To me the chances of jackstands failing, though very slim, are greater than the ramps, and given that this project will have you spending a fair amount of time with your head, chest, vital organs, etc underneath the car...well, Id go with the ramps
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #32
sandman96
AF Newbie

We took the car to Autozone the other day to find out what was tripping the service engine light. Came up as the crankshaft sensor. The sensor and ramps will cost a little over $100. Called dealership for repair cost, $487! Yeah, I'll be doing this one myself.
sandman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #33
sandman96
AF Newbie

I got some ramps and changed the crankshaft sensor this morning. Was reminded to disconnect the battery by the sparks that came off the starter when I started moving it around. And quickly found that my plan to rest the starter on some sort of platform so I wouldn't have to disconnect the wires would not work. Starter has to be completely out of the way to gain access to the crank sensor. Luckily the bolt holding the sensor is not torqued cause I was not able to get a good bite with the socket, maybe a wrench would be easier but the socket did the job. Took maybe an hour but if I were to do it again would probably take half that since I now know what I'm doing. So far so good, no service engine light and test drive went good. Now the wife is out doing errands in it.

Last edited by sandman96; 03-20-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #34
LittleHoov
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LittleHoov

Glad you got 'er done man. I must admit I had a good chuckle at your reminder to disconnect the battery, but it really isn't a laughing matter. Could have been very bad. I bet you'll remember next time for sure haha.

I honestly don't remember what I used to take loose the bolt on that sensor, so I can't help future generations.

If that sensor was far enough gone to be throwing a code, I would say your problem is fixed.
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #35
sandman96
AF Newbie

Yeah, it was funny in a way but also not funny cause it was so close to my face. Was a pretty bright flash too and my eyes were WIDE open when it sparked lol. It's been a day and a half and so far no issues.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #36
sandman96
AF Newbie

I must again bring this thread back from the dead to thank LittleHoov again. Today I changed out the front lower motor mount and your guide walked me through it better than any YouTube video.