Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
Nowave2big
AF Newbie

Air intakes & power chips on ebay??

Does anyone know anything (good/bad) about aftermarket air intakes
and power adder chips on ebay. Want to improve performance and gas mileage on my daily driver 99 zr2 s-10 blazer. Where can I find the best at the lowest price??
Nowave2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

Re: Air intakes & power chips on ebay??

The so called power chips for $25.00 on ebay?They are nothing but a .25 cent resistor that you pay $25.00 bucks for.Aftermarket air intakes will actually hurt your gas milelage,not much.That can also be said for the power gain also,not much.
movin2stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
atomicpulse
AF Regular

Aftermarket air intakes don’t hurt your gas mileage, if anything they make it better allowing the engine to breathe more efficient and allowing cooler air as well. I have a cold air intake on my truck and it improved my gas mileage, plus most likely gave me a little more power nothing huge, but my engine runs cooler as well.
atomicpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowave2big
Does anyone know anything (good/bad) about aftermarket air intakes
and power adder chips on ebay. Want to improve performance and gas mileage on my daily driver 99 zr2 s-10 blazer. Where can I find the best at the lowest price??
Take it from me and everone else, don't insert those stupid scam chips into your truck.

Ebay intake are actually very good and here is a one I think is the best on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634
BlazerLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:25 AM   #5
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Air intakes & power chips on ebay??

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicpulse
Aftermarket air intakes don’t hurt your gas mileage, if anything they make it better allowing the engine to breathe more efficient and allowing cooler air as well. I have a cold air intake on my truck and it improved my gas mileage, plus most likely gave me a little more power nothing huge, but my engine runs cooler as well.
Put one on mine and noticed a decrease in mpgs.I read up on these so called cool air intakes.As far as the cool air goes,that doesn't happen when they are made of metal.Metal conducts heat.Don't believe me.Fire you S-10 up and let it warm up,pop the hood and feel your so called cool air intake.It won't be cool at all,hot is more like it.Guess where that heat is going?If you are going to get one,get plastic.
movin2stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Nowave2big
AF Newbie

Thanks for the link, looks like a good deal. My only question is, is it worth it on a vehicle with 100k miles on it?? Sure it will help, but what about towards life of vehicle. It's my daily driver and trying to keep it going as long as possible and I drive 60+ miles a day on it. With gas as high as it is now, would like to increase my mileage. Like I said, it's got 100k on it so I don't want to dump loads of money on it. Have had 0 problems with it to date and would like to keep it that way. Just better to leave it alone or what??
Old 10-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Yes, it is always worth it.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #8
96 jimmy
AF Newbie

i have a jet chip stage 2 and a K&N intake helped my gas mil alot but k&n are pretty expansive though
96 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Even jet says there chip will reduce anyone's fuel mileage when you use their product.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:32 AM   #10
Nowave2big
AF Newbie

I've ordered a customxculture cold air intake with K&N filter from ebay (thanks BlazerLT). Will post a reply when I receive and install it to see how it does.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #11
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

You will love it trust me.

The sucking noise it makes when you punch the throttle is border line orgasmic.

But be VERY careful and don't overoil the filter when you clean it a year from now or it will ruin your MAF sensor.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:31 AM   #12
Nowave2big
AF Newbie

Well it's hear and installed. Overall I'd say I'm about 85% pleased. Only problems had were the couplers were smaller than the stock setup so I had to stretch and pry to get it to fit on the TB cover. Also the hole for the air sensor was cut on the wrong side of the tube. Luckily it still would reach (but it's stretched to it's limit). Just went through the first tank of gas with it yesterday. Unfortunately, no gain in gas mileage yet.
The engine is running about 20 deg. cooler so it's got to be doing something right. Hopefully the gas will start improving. Can notice a slight difference in acceleration (mostly at higher rpms, when passing or really stepping on it) Only hear the sucking noise(not very well) when it's at high rpms. Course the engine is louder then too. Only other negative is, no support came with it and it rattles when I start the engine. I am going to fabricate something to fix that though, shouldn't be too hard for that. It most definately looks great under the hood though. Am also pleased with the service and price I got it for.
Will post an update in a couple of weeks to let anyone interested know how the gas mileage does.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #13
NaKeDZX
AF Enthusiast

The fact that you didn't see any MPG increases yet is that you're probably putting your foot into it more often since the install to gauge performance increase. Like you said, it will likely improve over time.
NaKeDZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #14
Nowave2big
AF Newbie

Wanted to give an update on the air intake. Been through about 8 or so tanks of gas and have been keeping track of mileage. Averageing 18.4 mpg. Pretty much same as with stock air intake. Performance is still a little better but nothing shocking. Overall hasn't made much of difference, but don't feel like I lost anything by getting it. Would have always been that "what if" if I hadn't.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:42 PM   #15
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

You won't feel the full potential until you have installed a performance muffler.

What is coming in has to come out.

With a restrictive exhaust, the engine will not intake its full potential.

Also, the intake is not really meant to improve economy, it is more targeted towards throttle response and higher rev performance.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10