Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake
2001 Lumina Hypertech Performance Chip

Has anyone ever installed a chip into there car? I would like a little better performance, and from what I hear, these chips do just that. I want to know of any past experiences with them. The good, and more importantly the bad. Thanks yet again.
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:44 AM   #2
kevin716
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Lumina Hypertech Performance Chip

dont do it its a waste of time and money. if dealers knew about this they would have allready done it to your car. also its prob just extra horsepower at the fly wheel. which is like i have 10000 at the fly wheel but 10 at the wheels and then your car still runs like a tracter. i hope you understand what i am saying.
kevin716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
tblake
In God We Trust

ya, I do,I just heard from a friend that he put one it his 3.1 Cavalier, and he said it really helped. I dont know. He's a mechanic, so he should know whats he's talking about, but I think my 3.1 is quick enough anyways without one, so I'm not gonna spend that money. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

They do improve WOT performance, and offer some gains in power. They require a lower temp thermostat to be installed, and usually will not pass emissions installed. But I'm guessing the difference in power on a 3.1 would not be so earth shattering as to warrant the expense, unless you are just into getting every last pony outta it. There are some other powertrain controllers for GM products that fit inline in the harness, and modify the SENSOR readings, causing the computer to act differently, based on the modified info. This allows for richer injection pulses, advanced ignition timing, and higher shift points. This might be a better alternative, as it has easier installation, is easily removed for smog tests, and costs less that the actual power chip for the ECM.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Have you installed a cold air intake with a K+N type filter yet? That is hands down the best bang for the buck. I just have a K+N panel filter that fits the O.E. airbox, and the difference at higher throttle applications is amazing. And man, does it bark!
Old 08-21-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

P.S. still looking for those emblems, didn't forget.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

A while back, my friend bought a '96 9C1 ex-police car, with the 5.7 LT1, and while definately no slouch stock, I had several Hypertech chips for LT1 that were given to me by my cop friend, they had them in their Caprices before going to the Crown Vics. They were removed before sending the Caprices' to auction, because they aren't smog legal with them. He was able to save a handful of them, they were supposed to be destroyed. I installed one in the 9C1 my friend bought, along with the 160 degree thermostat, to see if I wanted to do it to my '94 Impala SS. That way, we were able to "benchmark" the differences. It definately woke that mutha up! He could stay with me in the 1/4 mile, loosing just a little off the line due to suspension and tire differences. Also my SS hit the governor at 143 mph. The 9C1 now hit the limiter at 154!
Old 08-21-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
tblake
In God We Trust

wow, yes, I hear ya, and yes, I have the K&N panel filter that fits in the OEM filterbox. Helped quite a bit, would never go back. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll watch ebay, and see if i can pick up a cheap chip, and as for emissions tests, there are none where I live, so its smooth sailing. Thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #9
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Re: 2001 Lumina Hypertech Performance Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake
wow, yes, I hear ya, and yes, I have the K&N panel filter that fits in the OEM filterbox. Helped quite a bit, would never go back. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll watch ebay, and see if i can pick up a cheap chip, and as for emissions tests, there are none where I live, so its smooth sailing. Thanks

Check on Summit Racing's website. I'm not sure, but may have seen the powertrain controller there for 3.1 applications.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:45 PM   #10
tblake
In God We Trust

They do have a number of chips there for less than 200.00, but i just dont know it i want to spend that much just for a little more harsepower, and torque. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 07:40 AM   #11
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I saw an inline powertrain contoller for GM that was much less than that, I'll see if I can remember where. Speaking of remembering, I am still looking for the emblems. We have moved since I saw them last, so I am having trouble finding them. But I will, and they are yours when I do. I'll PM you when I find 'em, just to verify your info, and make sure you still want 'em.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:44 AM   #12
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Re: 2001 Lumina Hypertech Performance Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin716
dont do it its a waste of time and money. if dealers knew about this they would have allready done it to your car. also its prob just extra horsepower at the fly wheel. which is like i have 10000 at the fly wheel but 10 at the wheels and then your car still runs like a tracter. i hope you understand what i am saying.

Kev-it's not that they don't work, rather that they won't pass EPA emissions standards with 'em installed. That's why the factory doesn't use 'em. Every car has to be a balance of reliability, driveability, performance and emissions compliance. The factory ECM settings are at best a compromise between all these variables. You have to sacrifice some of one to get gains in the others.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina