Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 AM   #1
WelderJim82
AF Newbie

Humming sound like airplane on 2002 alero help

The sound is coming from the front passenger side. The noise gets louder the faster I go, put in neutal and noise still there press brake noise there turn wheel no change in pitch. Jacked it up and there's no play in wheel. Just changed both front wheel bearings 6 months ago. Just changes all brakes today and got all new tires today. Just looking for ANY input on what it could be. I'm thinking maybe the differential bearing but not sure and if so how to change it. I travel from Mississippi to Baton Rouge, LA everyday for work, about 240 miles round trip. What would happen if a bearing went out while driving 70 mph on interstate. And do you guys or gals think I'm thinking in the right direction. I'm trying to do it myself BC my son's b day is in a week plus Xmas is right around the corner PLEASE HELP AND THANKS to the moon and back
WelderJim82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: Humming sound like airplane on 2002 alero help

Could be air flow vibrating a loose panel underneath-especially since you have eliminated almost everything else- Have seen a vinyl top cause this noise- where it was torn and was catching the wind- but would lay down every time car stopped. Wheel bearings take a long time to go bad- never seen one lock up, or cause a calamity-on a car (trailers-yes)- they will give you continuous warning- grinding sounds with plenty of time to fix.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

It does sound like a wheel bearing.....

Typically, a wheel bearing gets louder the faster you go, peaking in loudness, around 30-40 mph.....then when loudness is achieved, SAFELY, turn wheel slightly left and then slightly right while on the highway, and you should hear the sound diminish when turning one way, and get louder the other....

Even though you changed the wheel bearings, 6 months ago, if you bought a cheap bearing brand, not surprised that it went bad......even though warranty is usually a year, buying cheap and replacing constantly, is no bargain.....

A bad bearing can make noise, without being loose......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
WelderJim82
AF Newbie

First off I want to thank y'all for responding. Normally I would be positive it's a wheel bearing, but when I jacked the car up there is no play in the wheel (left to right, or up to down) and when I'm going down the interstate the noise stays the same turning left or right or straight. I don't see any loose vinyl or plastic anywhere. Could this be the differential carrier bearing. And if so is it hard to change
WelderJim82 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero