Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #31
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

Re: Football!!

Here is the simple explanation...

The game with the round ball was/is officiated in England by the Football Association - hence it was Association Football.

Later, a running game carrying the ball came into being - supposedly according to folklore when a certain William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it. Webb Ellis was a student at Rugby College and the game became Rugby (and the ball morphed into something oval).

Now along the way, Rugby split in two. The game in the South of England was very much a game played by upper class private boarding school educated 'gentlemen' (who stayed strictly amateur ie they were gentlemen and would not stoop to play for money but for the enjoyment of the game).

However, the miners and factory workers in the North of England did not have the luxury of high playing jobs or family money and broke away to form their own code.

The Southern Gents formed the Rugby Union which stayed fiercely non-professional into the early 90s and kept a 15 player code - whereas the Northerners formed the rival Rugby League using a 13 player code.

It's probable that the precursor to American or for that matter Canadian Football was derived from Rugby (possibly before the Union/League split).

The game Nort' Mercians call Soccer is called Football most places and is managed by FIFA which loosely translated is the International Federation of Football Associations. I figure that 190 countries can't be wrong...
Contrary to popular belief I don't hate women I hate mankind in general and that makes me a misanthrope - Psychopaths engage in antisocial behaviour unknowingly - I have empathy and moral responsibility I just value my own personal needs more... that makes me a sociopath.
replicant_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:28 PM   #32
FireBball972
AF Enthusiast

Re: Football!!

i'm in Wisconsin, so basically, without a doubt, the Packers are my fav.

it's a religion up here

well, that and deer hunting

Badgers, goin to the Rose Bowl this year!!
FireBball972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:41 PM   #33
Bavarian Boy M3
AF Regular

i love football it lets you take your aggression out, and if you think that football players shouldnt wear pads, you should visit a football teams practice. and im only 12! football practices are probably the most difficult thing ive ever done, and i really dont know where football players would be without pads. this sounds crazy, but im not too big of a helmet fan though. most of the cuts, welts and bruises we get are from somebody (incorrectly) ramming you with their helmet when they tackle you. other than that, pads are reeeeeeally valuable.