Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Acclaim
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
banana24
AF Newbie

1992 Plymouth Acclaim, stalls when at idle.

Car is a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim with the 3.0 V6/ auto-trans. Car has about 52,000 miles on it . Just in the last few weeks(after the car has warmed up)it struggles when at idle, and has stalled out more than a few times.

I went and read all the posts from others who experienced similar issues with their Acclaims...most are pretty well dated by now ...and unfortunately there were very few(if any)replies/suggestions. Just wanting to know if any of these Acclaim owners were able to solve this issue, or perhaps someone else can chime in.

So far all I've done is to spray out the throttle body, and also pulled the codes(of which there were none). Before I go chasing parts... thought it might be best to try and narrow it down a bit.

Thanks
banana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1992 Plymouth Acclaim, stalls when at idle.

How long since overall tune-up? Use a gage and check fuel pressure. It might be best to take throttle-body off and give it a cleaning. You have an idle speed motor on the throttle body assembly, check that also.

Last edited by jdl; 09-28-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: for info
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
banana24
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

It's been a while(a few years)on the tune-up...pulled the dist. cap and noticed some corrosion on the contacts. Figure I'll pull the plugs next to see what they look like. My partial to-do list so far includes...

check for vacuum leaks
clean idle control motor/TPS
change fuel filter/check fuel pump(pressure)
change cap/rotor/plugs
replace O2 sensor
check wiring

After reading some of the earlier(old)Acclaim posts though it appears most were unable to pin-point the problem, even after cleaning/repairing/replacing many of the components listed above. Guess I'll start with basic cleaning...before moving to other more detailed troubleshooting.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
banana24
AF Newbie

Cleaned the idle air control valve, and did a more thorough cleaning of the throttle body. The pintle on the idle air control valve measured about 1.250" out from the base, whereas the book showed it should be 1.000 or less. I reset it to a little under 1.000. Not sure if that(or the cleaning) had anything to do with it....but the car did not act up when I took it out today. Idle is still a little rough, but much better, more importantly....it did not stall out when at idle (hope it stays that way). Will probably still (at least) replace the cap/rotor/wires/plugs(??)
Old 09-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
jdl
AF Enthusiast

A tune-up never hurts.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Azrael513
AF Newbie

I'm currently having the same problem and have already replaced the idle air control valve and the car still dies at idle. I'm going to have the exhaust system checked to see if the car can even breathe. My car is a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim.
Azrael513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Hey guys my wife had a 93 and we kept it running great by keeping it tuned up, keeping the fuel filter changed regularly and by running fuel system cleaner through it twice a year because gas you get these days isn't what it use to be. Some people don't believe in adding anything to your gas but I really think it helps.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote