Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MG Midget
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
h20m0f0
AF Newbie

Where Do I Start?

I have a 1974 MG Midget that I would love to restore, I have had it for years and use to drive it 20 years ago and loved it. It's been in the garage for years and I just can't seem to start the restoration on it. I have never restored a car before so my BIG question is where do I start? The car is in good shape meaning the body is good it even has the original paint. I can't part with it because it's the car my wife and I went on our first date in 20 years ago.
So can someone tell me what it would take and how big of a prodject it is? What it may cost and where to get all the right parts to do it right....
I need Help in Vegas..........
Thanks
Jimmy
h20m0f0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
hillbilly678
AF Newbie

Re: Where Do I Start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20m0f0 View Post
I have a 1974 MG Midget that I would love to restore, I have had it for years and use to drive it 20 years ago and loved it. It's been in the garage for years and I just can't seem to start the restoration on it. I have never restored a car before so my BIG question is where do I start? The car is in good shape meaning the body is good it even has the original paint. I can't part with it because it's the car my wife and I went on our first date in 20 years ago.
So can someone tell me what it would take and how big of a prodject it is? What it may cost and where to get all the right parts to do it right....
I need Help in Vegas..........
Thanks
Jimmy
ok jimmy ol boy u ready? here it is pull the motor and tranny first off then put it up or after u put it up disconnect the drive shaft from the rear end and pull the rear end out of it ok now pull out the seats and leave the carpet if its good pull the trunk lid since u already have the hood off for taking out the engine ok now get u a good da sander and go to work on it where u can get to everything when u got the body real good and clean and sanded shoot a good primer on it let it sit for a couple days to dry good and then water sand it with 320 wetordry sanpaper when ur done and its slick qwipe it down with a tack cloth i mean before u primer and or paint it when ur done the body will look new again man will it then be sure u paint inside the trunk and hood before putting the engine back in ve sure to put new clutch in with the swap or ull be doing it again promise u then when ur all button up ur now ready to take ur wife out and have everyone say hey thats a nice car man and then u say tu ang it goes on and on see ya ;hillbilly678 oh and the cost well that will be up to u if u get the rt paint i get mine shipped from cali for under 100 if its already running leave it alone
hillbilly678 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MG Midget