Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 12:04 AM   #1
rviradia
AF Newbie

2002 330ci vs. audi S4

I'm leaning towards a 2002 330ci over an S4 due to it's sporty nature, any thoughts?, also does anyone know if it will have a Sequential Manual Gearbox as an option in the U.S.?

thanks
rviradia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 02:13 AM   #2
F20C
AF Enthusiast

What sporty nature are you refering to? S4 would run over 330Ci in all weather situation. Plus it's so easy to tuned S4 engine. SMG2 actually stands for Sequential M Gearbox II. The one you are refering to is Sequential Sports Gearbox also known as SSG. Yes it will be available as a option in 3 series soon. But no word yet on when that soon becomes reality.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 04:44 PM   #3
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

S4 Hand down, If it was a 330xi then it may have a chance but the S4 wins because of the fact that it is a tuned A4 which would be the 3 series competition, it has a 250 Bhp 2.7L Biturbo V-6 (Love that engine) and it has Quattro which turns all of the wheels which puts th S4 way out of the 330ci's reach. The S4 does have one setback though, I found it to be smaller than a 3 series (I'm 6 2' so That is a problem for me) i'm not aying it's more expensive because BMw's options can really add up and the 330xi is competitvely priced with the S4.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 05:23 PM   #4
rviradia
AF Newbie

>What sporty nature are you refering to

I just feel the bmw has more road feel, is lower to the ground, and better driver feedback, and I've read for 2002 they are un-boosting the steering back to normal and also re-doing the suspension, making it even better.

While I love the S4's super torque, super-gripping quattro, and kick ass interior, but it just feels too much like a luxury sedan for me (which it is). I was considering the new 2002 A4 but they made it into a pure luxury car now, I was reading a car mag and they said the new V6 is so smooth and quiet, "you'd swear it's being powered by an electric motor", my audi salesman drove one and he also said it was very muted.

I would get the new M3, but I can't wait that long (or over-pay and get it now), plus I have this fear that I will get jacked within the first week of driving it :-)
Old 09-06-2001, 12:18 AM   #5
F20C
AF Enthusiast

This is what's most recommanded for modding a S4

Springs and Shocks
Short throw shifter
Aftermarket ECU Chip
Old 09-06-2001, 01:17 AM   #6
rviradia
AF Newbie

how has the reliability been on your S4?
Old 09-06-2001, 04:25 AM   #7
F20C
AF Enthusiast

No problems so far and the car is well taken care of. In my mind the look is aging fast. The body design has been out since 1996.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:01 AM   #8
rviradia
AF Newbie

One of my main concerns with the Audi was reliability with the twin turbos and all (more strain on the engine, turbos needing to be replaced after certain milage), if the it's up to par with the bimmer I might lean back, but I'll have to test drive the two back to back again to make up my indecisive mind. I better make it up quick, my 92 legend coupe has 120K mi. and is starting to do wierd things.

p.s. - I think the current S4 looks very classy, the new A4 looks too much like an A6.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:49 PM   #9
F20C
AF Enthusiast

The twin turbo are small applications. As long as you take care of it properly you won't run into any problems. If you tuned it too much then you are risking that chance yourself. All luxury brand cars look alike. It's call a family resemblence. You can see an A6 in A4 and A8.
Old 10-17-2001, 03:49 PM   #10
johnmh@uwyo.edu
AF Newbie

Thumbs up S4 compared to BMW

I have an S4 Avant 6 speed purchased new in July of this year and I am loving it. I personnally find it much more attractive than any of the BMWs. I cannot imagine the BMer handling any better.

Handling and performance are superb - well beyond anything I have experienced before. The only complaint I have is that the shifting has that well known VW-Audi sloppiness to it. I am curious which short shifters folks have found to be an improvement.

Also curious what sort of snow/all-weather wheel/tire solutions people prefer on this car. Mine came with Pirelli rubber. I understand these are a softer rubber that might be less than ideal on snow and ice.

I welcome comments from S4 owners in colder climates. The thing has such superb traction with the quattro drive system that I don't think I need to be in a hurry to acquire snow tires for this winter.

So far the engine starts and runs flawlessy, as well it should in such a car. Torque is excellent even at lower RPMs. This should make for outstanding performance in the snow.

Enjoying the car and the forum. Glad to be a new member.
johnmh@uwyo.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 06:11 PM   #11
rviradia
AF Newbie

Old 10-21-2001, 12:33 AM   #12
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

An S4 is more meant to compete with the M3.... well not anymore, but it competes more with the E36 M3, that's what it was made for. The A4 competes with the regular 3-series

if i were you, I'd go S4
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 01:23 AM   #13
rviradia
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr
An S4 is more meant to compete with the M3.... well not anymore, but it competes more with the E36 M3, that's what it was made for. The A4 competes with the regular 3-series

if i were you, I'd go S4

I guess the question would be is the 330ci up to par with the old M3, not just power to weight ratio, but all around. I can get $1500 off the 330ci (have to order it), the audi dealer dealer calls me every other day ready to make a deal as they have a few sitting on the lot (~ 3K off).

Damn, I wish I could have both.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:54 PM   #14
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

The E36 M3 is ALOT better than an E46 330ci

the older M3 is said to handle better than a Ferrari F355!!!
it was called the best handling car

if I were you, i'd so go S4 over 330ci
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 06:20 PM   #15
blakwolf
AF Newbie

best handling m3

I thought the E30 was supposed to be best handling M3.
The E36 seemed rather mediocre by comparison in the reviews.
blakwolf is offline   Reply With Quote