Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 09:09 AM   #31
ultimatedriver7
AF Newbie

Sport package

I am glad that you guys agree with me about the sport package vastly improving the aesthetics of the 2002 3 series sedans. As always the sport package is a great deal on the 3 series so I encourage all of you to get it if you are ordering a new 3. Also, for those who don't know, the seats included with the sport package are numerous times more comfortable than the stock seats. In my mind they alone are worth the extra cash.

Ill look for a pic of the rear end. It looks somewhat similar to the E46 M3 rear bumper.

What do you guys like about the sport package front end most? I think i like the similarities to the M5 with the dual black plastic trim pieces etc. but thats just me

Ultimatedriver7
'01 330Ci all options except rear backup
soon to be '02 M3 all options except rear backup and metallic paint
ultimatedriver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:22 AM   #32
ultimatedriver7
AF Newbie

More pics of SMG...

here are some great pics of the new SMG gearbox offered on the 2002 M3:

wheel and stick: http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/engine/1665_832.jpg

stick: http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/engine/1666_832.jpg

paddles: http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/engine/5025_832.jpg

if you guys look at the picture titled "stick" can anyone tell me what the following console buttons do? the first one looks like this (!) and the second looks like this SPORT

I've sat in a new M3 but i guess i didnt ever notice these two buttons.

Ultimatedriver7
ultimatedriver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 01:25 PM   #33
aldori
AF Newbie

Redesigned e46 coupe

Most likely the coupe will follow through with a facelift in next year. If you remember the North American E46 sedan was the 1st model to change over in 99 followed by the coupe the next year. That seems to be the pattern. I would expect the next full design in '05 as my dealer has indidcated BMW is on a 7yr design cycle. Although I have a '99 sedan, just ordered an '02. Some of you may want to check out the BMW individual program at http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/products/individual/. Your dealer may not be aware of it but this program offers you an opportunity to order something a little different! Not everything is available to the North American market but the paints are indeed an option for those seeking to have something individual.
aldori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 07:47 PM   #34
nebular18
AF Newbie

Hi ultimatedriver. I guess the first button is to activate/deactivate the driver's side heated seat, second button is for the dynamic stability control, third is to mute the sound system, i guess fourth is for the suspension, fifth seems like activating the rear blind? (similar to the merc's), sixth is to activate the sports function ( think will have better handling etc ) last one is the front passenger side's heated seat.

Hope i'm right....:alien:
nebular18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 03:25 PM   #35
duffygc
AF Newbie

Question SMG vs SSG gearbox

Hi,

... FWIW, found this text describing the SSG:

However, biggest surprise is the introduction of SSG (Sequential Shift Gearbox) to 325 and 330i. BMW claimed it is a simplified version of the M3’s sequential manual box, but it is actually built around the regular 5-speed manual rather than the M3's 6-speeder and most importantly, the shift mechanism is supplied by Italy's Magneti-Marelli instead of Siemens. You might remember Magneti-Marelli is the maker of Alfa Romeo's Selespeed and Ferrari's F1 system, so SSG should be much cheaper than the SMG. Unfortunately, shift response is far slower than SMG. There are 3 modes: in "Normal" mode, shift takes 400-500ms; in "Sport" mode, it is reduced to 250-300ms but shift quality is less smooth; in "Launch" mode, 150ms can be achieved from first to second gear.

Has anyone found a road test of SSG?

Greg
(UK)
duffygc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:06 PM   #36
richpull
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to richpull Send a message via AIM to richpull Send a message via Yahoo to richpull
What the 3 series needs is a 250 horsepower engine, smg transmission, heavy steering, and a real rear spoiler included with the sport package. The little curled up portion of the trunk isnt a spoiler in my book. I took a test drive in the bmw m3 with smg because while we were sitting in it, the guy at the dealer was like i was planning on taking this out for a spin you guys wanna come? Ohh man that transmission is sweet He wasnt able to access the S6 mode because it isnt available until 1200 mile break-in is complete, but the s5 mode was incredible. Not to mention 333 horses. He fooled with the automatic mode for a while and then as he was coming back the the driver put it in manual mode and floored it out onto the highway, he shifted to 2nd, bam, the gear switch was so incredibly fast, you bearly feel it, no rocking forward, just mmmmMMMMM! mmmmmMMMMM. (thats an engine sound) The smg automatically revvs the engine while downshifting to about 7000 rpm to increase the engine compression braking effect to take some strain off the non-cross drilled american M3 rotors. This throttling on downshifts makes you feel like you screwed up, but in reality its helping out. If you are braking on downshifting itll slow you down faster, if your passing someone, yeah. I think this SMG technology is simply incredible. I would pay the $2400 for it on the 3-series if it was available in America. I wish i could afford the m3
Old 02-21-2002, 10:04 PM   #37
Vertigo
AF Regular

If I could get another 25 ponies in a 3 series I would place my order right now. Does anyone know of a hp upgrade in 2003? Or for that matter any changes for 2003?
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:45 PM   #38
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

if you want the 3 with some more hp buy the M3
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 11:06 AM   #39
Vertigo
AF Regular

Even better, I found a local dealer that is authorized by Dinan to sell and install parts so I think that might be a good option. I love love love the M3 but the long wait times and the over sticker prices are really unattractive . I would be happy with around 250 horses. Secretly I just want to be able to keep up with those damn S4s
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote