Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
TheBecoming
AF Newbie

'97 DashBoard problems

I have a 97 grand am se. While driving today some of my dashboard lights came on (temp light, ets, seatbelt, etc but not my check engine light) and my gagues stopped working. My car runs fine like it always has. I shut off my car and waited a few minutes then turned it on again and the same lights came on and my guages didn't move. Does any one know what the cause is? Any hel I would be grateful. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
justin0419
AF Newbie

I just had the same problem w/ my 96 GA GT. Turned out the be the instrument cluster had gone bad. My gauges would work for a while, then jump all over, and sometimes they wouldn't work at all. I'd also get various lights on the dash with the gauge problems. You can look at my thread to see some of the things I dealt with. It's titled "need help on instrument prob on 96 GT."
Here are some things I learned about replacing the instrument cluster:
I was told only a cluster from a 96 will work (doesn't matter if it came out of a 4-cylinder or V-6, auto or manual). Just has to be from the same year (even though your car and mine are both the same body style, only the same year will work).
I was also told you can't change out the odometers between the two clusters. I got mine from a junkyard for $70 after tax. My car originally had 81k on it, so I asked different junkyards how many miles were on their clusters. I ended up with one with only 54k. I took pictures of the odometers on both dashes and kept the old one so I can show what the mileage actually is when I get rid of the car.
After you change out your cluster, your car will not start due to the anti-theft system. Simply try to start it once, then leave the key in the
"on" position (as if the engine was running) for at least 10 minutes. This will reset the anti-theft system.
It should run just fine after that.
All you have to do to get the cluster out is this:
There are four screws that hold the plastic piece on that covers the dash, temperature controls, and radio. Two of the screws are in the little cubby hole just under your radio and the other two are underneath the dash overhang in front of your cluster. Put on your e-brake, turn your key on, put the tranny in Low gear to get the shifter out of the way. Put your tilt wheel all the way down. Gently pull the plastic piece out. There will be a few things to unplug over on the left side of the plastic piece. Unplug the dimmer swith, driving light switch (if applicable), and the plug for the lighter. Now pull the plastic piece out of the way. The instrument cluster has four 7mm screws holding it in. Take those out. There are two plugs in the back of the cluster. You can just pince the clips on the big one and pull it out. You'll need a screwdriver to push the clip up to slide the smaller plug out.
It only takes a couple minutes to get the cluster out.
Good luck.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #3
TheBecoming
AF Newbie

Re: '97 DashBoard problems

I read your "need help on instrument prob on 96 GT" topic but it sounds alittle different then the problem I have. This is the first time this has happened and every time I've started my car after this first time it happened every thing acts the same.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:01 AM   #4
justin0419
AF Newbie

My dash problems started out that way...my gauges worked more often than not. They'd just jump around every once in awhile. Over a period of a couple weeks, it just got worse. Finally they wouldn't work at all. I guess just drive it for a while and see how things go. As you said, I never had any problems with the way the car ran (I just lost all my indications of engine performance).
Old 07-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
brocsbar
AF Regular

Re: '97 DashBoard problems

I had a similar problem with a car I was working on in my shop. All the guages would jump around and after extensive searching I found that the airbag module under the passenger seat was getting wet for years from the bad water problem on many grand am/prix. And after a while the car wouldn't even start cause the module was shorting and the car tought someone was stealing it.It can be disconnected and everything should work normal again except you Won't HAVE AIRBAGS!