Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > S-Class
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
russiank1
AF Newbie

Cool 1968 Merc 280SE Restomod

Hi Everyone.

As the title says i have a 1968 Mercedes 280SE. This car belonged to my grandmother from new. its a 54 year old one owner car. but it has alot of issues. it engine seized somewhere in the late 80s and was replaced with a diesel merc engine.

I plan to restore this vehicle to its former glory however due to certain factors i have to make modifications, namely a more modern engine post 2000. I had an idea on what engine but im unsure if this engine is too big(physical size) but ill only know 100% once the vehicle gets to me so any suggestions on a type of engine and gearbox combo

it will all be getting brakes and suspension upgrade as well.

on the interior its getting a bit of a modification to allow for some things i want to add. now here is where im in need of some help. i need to source a new dial cluster for the car as the one you will see in the photos is no more someone damaged beyond repair. Im not looking for original as im getting the dash remodeled anyways. so im looking for a decent aftermarket solution. that is relatively easy to pair with a post 2000 engine.

Also please note i have sat for weeks contemplating and discussing on just doing a full restoration on this vehicle. however as mentioned due to certain factors i need to make some modifications to the car.

Please dont have a go at me as many have on the fact that im not restoring this vehicle to its original glory. I want to drive it. not keep it in a storage unit.

Thanks guys

picture in the link
Merc 280SE Pictures
russiank1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > S-Class