Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
tami200
AF Newbie

PLS advise trouble my '11 over-heated

I'm useless with car repairs but I don't want to get ripped off. My 2011 advenger with 82k miles V6 automatic over heated yesterday 1 1/2 miles from my home and beside an oil fast lube place. The oil change guy said my coolant was a gallon low? (He just added fluids 3 weeks ago with my 3000 oil change). Also he ordered a thermostat to put on it Friday. I drove it back home. I'm not 100% comfortable with these mechanics, why would the coolant be that low? My other question, he said we'll "start" with the thermostat & see if that fixes it. Does that even sound right? Thanks
tami200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: PLS advise trouble my '11 over-heated

I would go somewhere and have a pressure test done. Run the engine with about 12psi on the engine if the gage pulsates you have a blown head gasket. The thermostat could be bad but I'm not sure.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Tidbit960
AF Newbie

Re: PLS advise trouble my '11 over-heated

Look at your coolant & your oil & see if they're is any mixing going on. We have a 2012 Avenger SXT PLUS with the 3.6L & ours began overheating before even hitting 100k miles & 1 mechanic told us it was the head gasket was blown which is basically saying we need a new engine... But after a lot of investigation & reading I've discovered that this motor uses a flawed oil cooler that is very often failing (or the oil cooler gaskets failing that is) & this will cause coolant & oil to mix similar to the symptoms of a blown head gasket & causing overheating which most mechanics (unless they are very familiar with this motor) very often misdiagnose as blown head gasket so don't believe it is that until you at least try to fix it by replacing the oil cooler for a couple $100 bucks before assuming the whole motor is shot for good.
Tidbit960 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
systems
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger