Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Shadow
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
rosscoe001
AF Newbie

Head Gasket

I own a 93 dodge shadow and i recently noticed that it was running pretty bad all of a sudden.

I raised the hood and took a look at the top of the spark plugs and i could notice a small pool of oil around the ends. Please tell me the head gasket isn't gone on it..

If i removed the spark plugs and installed new ones would that help at all or do i need to change the gasket, if i do i have no tools or knowledge on how to do it. Is it an expensive repair?? thanks!

Rosscoe
rosscoe001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
john51md
AF Regular

Re: Head Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoe001
I own a 93 dodge shadow and i recently noticed that it was running pretty bad all of a sudden.

I raised the hood and took a look at the top of the spark plugs and i could notice a small pool of oil around the ends. Please tell me the head gasket isn't gone on it..

If i removed the spark plugs and installed new ones would that help at all or do i need to change the gasket, if i do i have no tools or knowledge on how to do it. Is it an expensive repair?? thanks!

Rosscoe
Oil pooled around a spark plug is generaly a leaking valve cover gasket and not a head gasket, on the either tin or alumium, top of engine, valve cover.
Easy to replace a few hand tools.Few bucks for a gasket, just be sure you dont over tighten the small bolts, in other words, dont tighten so tight you see the gasket squish out from under the bolt area.
john51md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
rosscoe001
AF Newbie

Hey John51 thanks for posting a reply soo soon, and i appreciate the tip i'll give that a shot and see what happens. I was also wondering should i replace the spark plugs as well? thanks

Rosscoe
Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
john51md
AF Regular

Quote:
Hey John51 thanks for posting a reply soo soon, and i appreciate the tip i'll give that a shot and see what happens. I was also wondering should i replace the spark plugs as well? thanks

Rosscoe
Yes, if they are fairly old i would while you are working on it. I didnt say the valve cover WAS the cause though, only that it may be the most likely cause, because if it leaks oil out, gravity takes the oil downward, and it pools where it can, usually around spark plug holes.
Usually is a head gasket leaks oil to the outside, you will find the oil traces below the head, and below spark plugs because oil cannot run "uphill" again, gravity..
And hey, if you dont have a socket set and dont want to spend a lot to do this repair, you can always go to a place like the dollar store and buy one of those cheap sets of socket tools for about 10.00 they will work fine on small stuff like this.I buy them for light duty stuff, keep a set in the car, and when i loose some, break some, i just go buy another set LOL...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
rosscoe001
AF Newbie

Well i know it isn the head gasket for sure that is bone dry it's just the other thing but ur little gravity explination made alot of sense but ya i'm just going to try that and see what happens.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
john51md
AF Regular

Quote:
Well i know it isn the head gasket for sure that is bone dry it's just the other thing but ur little gravity explination made alot of sense but ya i'm just going to try that and see what happens.
WOW!!! i made sense?????? thats a first!
Good luck with it.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
jeremy06
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy06

the oil is coming from bad valve cover gaskets.
jeremy06 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Shadow