Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
quickdeath
AF Newbie

2001 S10 - rotates but won't spark

2001 Chevy S10, 2.2l 5speed. (~76,000 miles)

On my way to work a few days ago the engine cut out and wouldn't restart. After towing it home and recharging the battery (hazard lights being left on probably drained it), engine will rotate, but doesn't sound like it fires. I pulled a spark plug out and had a helper crank the engine.
Did get smell of gas after a couple cranks, so I believe I have fuel. Also was able to hear the fuel pump when ignition was turned to on.I've checked spark on three plug wires so far, cylinder towards front of engine sparks blue, middle two spark yellow.

Is sparking yellow enough of an issue to prevent engine from firing? Plan today was to test that coil pack, however I'm trying to figure out how to get to it. Is going through the wheel well the best way to access the coils?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2001 S10 - rotates but won't spark

Test it with a spark tester....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
quickdeath
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 S10 - rotates but won't spark

No real point in checking with a spark tester. Found out the timing chain broke. I've been seeing a lot of mixed things about this engine, some people claiming it is interference some people saying not. I'm trying to decide if its worth throwing a new chain on it and hoping for the best, or if the odds of bent valves or other damage makes it not worth it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis