Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
whiteblue1942
Banned

Free paint job from technical schools?

I know a freind of mine just bought a used car and he tol dme he can get a free pain job from a technical school. It is from students who are just learning to paint cars and such. I think this is a bad idea but then again its free. Do you think it will look alright?
whiteblue1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Hungrycat7
AF Enthusiast

Re: Free paint job from technical schools?

I just went through my first semester at a technical school in Kentuck for Auto Body. I was amazed my first days that people would actually allow students to lay paint on the cars. To my surprise the cars came out looking brand new. The paint jobs were not free though. The customer had to buy the paint and add 8% of the cost on for labor. It is very cheap in the end though. I would just speak with the instructor and make sure he/she sounds trustworthy. He/She will be the one monitoring the project to make sure it goes smooth.
Hungrycat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
whiteblue1942
Banned

i guess differennt schools are different and some places you have to pay and some not. But anyway i guess if the student messes up real bad it cal alwayse be sanded out and corrected right? ive never painted a car just houses but im just assuming. I hope so!
whiteblue1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Mark Lapes
AF Newbie

I have 2 really good friend of who i went to collage with. They were both in there third semester and they painted cars for there friends. I seen the work that they did and it came out nice. If a student is in his 3rd or 4th semester its ok because hes going to graduate soon anyway so he should know what he was thaught.
Mark Lapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
LearnAutoBody
Auto Body Mod

Depends on the school and instructors, but you should be safe. All work should be supervised by an instructor. Our school will work on student projects and college employees, but we do not do work for the public. Just remember is you have a car painted at a school, these are students learning the trade and they are going to take longer then someone that has been doing it for years. If you rush them, the results may be poor. So plan on allowing them to have it as long as it takes. If you're in a hurry you may consider paying the full price and having a body shop do it.
LearnAutoBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
kenseth17
AF Newbie

Its been many moons ago now, but I took an autobody course at the local tech school in 1991 (materials to paint a 68 cougar for my dads friend with base clear and 2k primer came to only about 160, boy those were the days). Our school would not charge labor, but would charge for materials, which were very reasonable with no markup.
I think this would be a better option then a place like maaco, or other production quicky shop, because they are going to take more time on it, and believe most would be using good materials. At least if you don't have the skill commitment to do the prep work. Its kind of the luck of the draw. Most students in my class were competent and did nice work I spent my teenage years reading any article I could on paint and bodywork, and already did some small bodywork and painted my car before I even took the course. I went to learn more and get better, and be shown the proper ways of doing things and worked full time out of highschool and saved up the money I made to take the course. A good friend of mine in class took 3rd in the nation in a vica contest. Then there were a few students in class i would not want going anywhere near my car. Sure they are learning, but there is an instructor there to guide and help the student along the way, and if anything is not acceptable, at least were i went, they would redo it so its right. My class was a lot of fun, with a few hilarious things happened along the way.
But it could be hard to get your vehicle in in the first place. There are likely many others looking to have work done for only material cost, along with people the instructor knows, or other instructors in the school. I seemed to paint instructors cars, and lots of vehicles for someone our instructor knew, and did some work on one of the kids in the night course car. Also likely depends on what type of work they are looking at taking on to help the students gain knowlede.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
AutoBodyMan
AF Newbie

Our vocational school does that, it depends on who you have work on it, most of our students there are trustworthy to get the job done and make it look brand new, I would just be patient if you decide to let a technical school do it, especially for the kids who are new and it being their first year, there is mess ups, and plus being in a vocational school/technical school, unless its a college type you dont get very long during the day to work on vehicles, maybe 2 hours a day. So it may take some time, but it comes out looking really good in the end, i could give you proof if you wish.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network